Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Presentations and Seminars [x]
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Higher education's purpose is to equip students for success in life -- in the workplace, in communities, and their personal lives. While this purpose may have remained constant for centuries, the world around colleges and universities is undergoing significant change. Higher education is under pressure to meet greater expectations, whether for student numbers, educational preparation, workforce needs, or economic development. Meanwhile, the resources available are likely to decline. New models, an intense focus on the student experience, and a drive for innovation and entrepreneurism will ensure that higher education continues to meet society's needs. Information technology supports virtually every aspect of higher education, including finances, learning, research, security, and sustainability, and IT professionals need to understand the range of problems their institutions face so they apply IT where it brings greatest value. Creating this future will require collaboration across organizational and national boundaries, bringing together the collective intelligence of people from backgrounds including education, corporations, and government.
Articles and Reports
- The Current and Future State of Higher Education, EDUCAUSE Live!, November 2012.
- Through a Glass, Brightly: IT’s Impact on Higher Education by 2020, ECAR Bulletin, August 2012.
- Information Technology and Tomorrow’s University: A President’s Confessions and Advice. Jolene Koester. EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2011.
- Open Governance in Higher Education: Extending the Past to the Future. Patrick Masson. EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2011.
- Much of the EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, Volume 45, Number 2, March/April 2010 issue is devoted to the future of higher education.
- The entire issue of the EDUCAUSE Quarterly Magazine,Volume 33, Number 1, 2010 is largely devoted to anticipating the future of higher education.
- The entire issue of the EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, Volume 45, Number 1, January/February 2010 is largely devoted to innovation and the future of higher education.
- The Future of Higher Education: Beyond the Campus, EDUCAUSE White Paper, January 2010
Podcasts and Videos
- The Future of Mobile Computing. EDUCAUSE Live! April 2011
- Future of Higher Education, Diana Oblinger, Midwest Regional Conference, March 2010.
- The Future of Higher Education: What Is the IT Professionals Role? Linda A. Jorn, James J. Koenig, David W. Dodd, Robert H. McDonald and Melissa Woo, Midwest Regional Conference, March 2010.
- 2020 Forecast: Creating the Future of Learning, KnowledgeWorks Foundation.
EDUCAUSE Staff Picks
- IT-Based Transformation in Higher Education: Possibilities and Prospects, Greg Jackson, EDUCAUSE, March 2012. A Discussion of how achieving both greater efficiency and better outcomes in higher education through information technology requires a commitment to fundamental, unfettered thinking about the future both within and outside current institutions—the kind of process many institutions are beginning to undertake.
- Rethinking Higher Education Business Models, Robert Sheets, Stephen Crawford,and Louis Soares. Center for American Progress. March 2012.
- Innovating the 21st-Century University: It’s Time!, EDUCAUSE Review, Volume 45, Number 1, 2010. If colleges and universities open up and embrace collaborative learning and collaborative knowledge production, they have a chance of surviving and even thriving in the networked, global economy of the future.
- The Changing Landscape of Higher Education, EDUCAUSE Review, Volume 46, Number 1, 2011. Focusing strictly on technology trends can obscure other environmental factors that are drivers for innovation in higher education. The authors identify ten fissures in the landscape that are creating areas of potentially tectonic change.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Future of Higher Education
- MOOCsâ€”Key Legal and Policy Issues for Colleges and Universities
July 25, 2013
The National Association of College and University Attorneys (NACUA), ACE, and EDUCAUAUSE held a webinar on July 25th, 2013 on the key legal and policy issues regarding massive open online course…
- Campus IT Policy: Past, Present, and Future
July 6, 2011
July 6, 2011 1:00 p.m. ET (12:00 p.m. CT, 11:00 a.m. MT, 10:00 a.m. PT) The EDUCAUSE/Cornell Institute for Computer Policy and Law was founded in 1995. On the eve of the 16th annual I…
- Lawful Access: Issues and Challenges for Universities
April 7, 2011
This presentation will focus on the discrete types of legal process or demands that universities are likely to see from law enforcement and civil parties ; the types of situations when such de…
- Seminar 11P - Campus IT Policy Development (separate registration required)
October 15, 2013
A session at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference 2013
In this interactive workshop, you will learn principles for good policy making, approaches for engendering institutional agreement, and ideas to advance your institution's IT policy program. W…
- The Why and How of Web Accessibility
April 4, 2008
The challenge of web accessibility raises issues of both policy and technology. This session features experts in each of these two areas. Policy guru Tracy Mitrano says: "Developing a web…
- ResNet 2007 Program Proceedings
October 10, 2007
This site provides video and slides from the 2007 ResNet conference, held at UC, San Diego, June 23-27, 2007. This site provides video and slide…
- Export Control Laws: Analysis for the IT Manager
January 1, 2005
Through the use of a hypothetical international research collaboration between a U.S. university and various foreign universities and governments, a means for analyzing the applicable export cont…
- Policy Development Theory and Practice: An Emphasis on IT
January 1, 2005
This presentation will discuss a generic process for policy development that was developed by policy administrators from various institutions that belong to the Association of College and Univers…
- Planning and Data: Stakeholders, Policy, and Business Processes
January 1, 2004
This presentation is from the 2004 CAMP Directory Workshop. Most campus constituencies are unaware of enterprise directories, yet because of their broad impact campuses must define new policies or…
- Tales from the Trenches: Stories of Security, Computer Policy, and Law
January 1, 2003
Computer policy and law experts will share spine-tingling accounts of real-life computer policy infractions that have tested the fabric of their college or university computing policies. While focu…