Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Presentations and Seminars [x]
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Higher education's purpose is to equip students for success in life -- in the workplace, in communities, and their personal lives. While this purpose may have remained constant for centuries, the world around colleges and universities is undergoing significant change. Higher education is under pressure to meet greater expectations, whether for student numbers, educational preparation, workforce needs, or economic development. Meanwhile, the resources available are likely to decline. New models, an intense focus on the student experience, and a drive for innovation and entrepreneurism will ensure that higher education continues to meet society's needs. Information technology supports virtually every aspect of higher education, including finances, learning, research, security, and sustainability, and IT professionals need to understand the range of problems their institutions face so they apply IT where it brings greatest value. Creating this future will require collaboration across organizational and national boundaries, bringing together the collective intelligence of people from backgrounds including education, corporations, and government.
Articles and Reports
- The Current and Future State of Higher Education, EDUCAUSE Live!, November 2012.
- Through a Glass, Brightly: IT’s Impact on Higher Education by 2020, ECAR Bulletin, August 2012.
- Information Technology and Tomorrow’s University: A President’s Confessions and Advice. Jolene Koester. EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2011.
- Open Governance in Higher Education: Extending the Past to the Future. Patrick Masson. EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2011.
- Much of the EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, Volume 45, Number 2, March/April 2010 issue is devoted to the future of higher education.
- The entire issue of the EDUCAUSE Quarterly Magazine,Volume 33, Number 1, 2010 is largely devoted to anticipating the future of higher education.
- The entire issue of the EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, Volume 45, Number 1, January/February 2010 is largely devoted to innovation and the future of higher education.
- The Future of Higher Education: Beyond the Campus, EDUCAUSE White Paper, January 2010
Podcasts and Videos
- The Future of Mobile Computing. EDUCAUSE Live! April 2011
- Future of Higher Education, Diana Oblinger, Midwest Regional Conference, March 2010.
- The Future of Higher Education: What Is the IT Professionals Role? Linda A. Jorn, James J. Koenig, David W. Dodd, Robert H. McDonald and Melissa Woo, Midwest Regional Conference, March 2010.
- 2020 Forecast: Creating the Future of Learning, KnowledgeWorks Foundation.
EDUCAUSE Staff Picks
- IT-Based Transformation in Higher Education: Possibilities and Prospects, Greg Jackson, EDUCAUSE, March 2012. A Discussion of how achieving both greater efficiency and better outcomes in higher education through information technology requires a commitment to fundamental, unfettered thinking about the future both within and outside current institutions—the kind of process many institutions are beginning to undertake.
- Rethinking Higher Education Business Models, Robert Sheets, Stephen Crawford,and Louis Soares. Center for American Progress. March 2012.
- Innovating the 21st-Century University: It’s Time!, EDUCAUSE Review, Volume 45, Number 1, 2010. If colleges and universities open up and embrace collaborative learning and collaborative knowledge production, they have a chance of surviving and even thriving in the networked, global economy of the future.
- The Changing Landscape of Higher Education, EDUCAUSE Review, Volume 46, Number 1, 2011. Focusing strictly on technology trends can obscure other environmental factors that are drivers for innovation in higher education. The authors identify ten fissures in the landscape that are creating areas of potentially tectonic change.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Future of Higher Education
- Seminar 04F - Project Management Conference within a Conference (separate registration required)
October 15, 2013
A session at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference 2013
Project management is not a new topic in the public sectors but may be new to many in higher education. This daylong seminar will focus on different aspects of project management and how the discip…
- What to Do While Your Building or Renovation Project Is On Hold
June 29, 2009
Many campuses will be postponing or curtailing new building projects and renovations due to the current economic climate, but the pressing need for newly configured, technology-enabled spaces has…
- "This Place is Awesome!": Program, Service, and Staff Planning for the Center for Science and Social Science Information
March 12, 2013
A session at the NERCOMP Annual Conference
This session will address how new services, staffing models, and a renovated space were created to support today's interdisciplinary and technology-dependent scholarship. The Yale Science Libr…
- Building a Shared Database of Products Used at the ACI Schools of Illinois
March 19, 2013
A session at the Midwest Regional Conference
We all face similar issues and challenges at our schools, and they don't have to be technology-based. From admissions to catalogs, we all apply the same practices and procedures. Wouldn't…
- Aligning IT with Institutional Strategy: Learning to Think in a New Language
March 19, 2013
A session at the Midwest Regional Conference
Aligning technology with institutional strategy is about technologists learning to think and act in the language of the institution's success. That means they need to understand how to measure…
- Knowledge Sharing: Some Myths and Ideas, and a Little IT
April 11, 2008
Today in many circles the mention of knowledge management conjures up fears of complex IT systems (often equated with failure) or a new initiative (often associated with vague requirements). How …
- Leading the IT Workforce
December 6, 2007
Presentation at the Sixth Annual ECAR Symposium, December 5-7, 2007, in Boca Raton, Florida. What are the essential skills for an IT leader? How do rising IT leaders perceive the CIO role, and ar…
- Transforming Learning for the 21st Century: An Economic Imperative
January 1, 2006
To succeed in a "flat," global, knowledge-based economy, graduates of higher education institutions must have literacy in science and mathematics, creativity, fluency in information and…
- Bridging the GAP: Unified Approaches to Governance, Architecture, and Procurement
December 8, 2005
Presentation at the December 2005 ECAR Symposium in Carefree, Arizona. This presentation identifies a set of principles covering information technology governance, architecture, and procurement (…
- Using an ERP Upgrade to Advance IT Best Practices
February 13, 2013
A session at the West/Southwest Regional Conference
Problem #1: You need to upgrade a major system. We'll present ideas on how you can reap additional benefits from this effort and can gain more than just the upgraded system. Problem #2: You …