Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Blogs [x]
Filter by Publications
Higher education's purpose is to equip students for success in life -- in the workplace, in communities, and their personal lives. While this purpose may have remained constant for centuries, the world around colleges and universities is undergoing significant change. Higher education is under pressure to meet greater expectations, whether for student numbers, educational preparation, workforce needs, or economic development. Meanwhile, the resources available are likely to decline. New models, an intense focus on the student experience, and a drive for innovation and entrepreneurism will ensure that higher education continues to meet society's needs. Information technology supports virtually every aspect of higher education, including finances, learning, research, security, and sustainability, and IT professionals need to understand the range of problems their institutions face so they apply IT where it brings greatest value. Creating this future will require collaboration across organizational and national boundaries, bringing together the collective intelligence of people from backgrounds including education, corporations, and government.
Articles and Reports
- The Current and Future State of Higher Education, EDUCAUSE Live!, November 2012.
- Through a Glass, Brightly: IT’s Impact on Higher Education by 2020, ECAR Bulletin, August 2012.
- Information Technology and Tomorrow’s University: A President’s Confessions and Advice. Jolene Koester. EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2011.
- Open Governance in Higher Education: Extending the Past to the Future. Patrick Masson. EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2011.
- Much of the EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, Volume 45, Number 2, March/April 2010 issue is devoted to the future of higher education.
- The entire issue of the EDUCAUSE Quarterly Magazine,Volume 33, Number 1, 2010 is largely devoted to anticipating the future of higher education.
- The entire issue of the EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, Volume 45, Number 1, January/February 2010 is largely devoted to innovation and the future of higher education.
- The Future of Higher Education: Beyond the Campus, EDUCAUSE White Paper, January 2010
Podcasts and Videos
- The Future of Mobile Computing. EDUCAUSE Live! April 2011
- Future of Higher Education, Diana Oblinger, Midwest Regional Conference, March 2010.
- The Future of Higher Education: What Is the IT Professionals Role? Linda A. Jorn, James J. Koenig, David W. Dodd, Robert H. McDonald and Melissa Woo, Midwest Regional Conference, March 2010.
- 2020 Forecast: Creating the Future of Learning, KnowledgeWorks Foundation.
EDUCAUSE Staff Picks
- IT-Based Transformation in Higher Education: Possibilities and Prospects, Greg Jackson, EDUCAUSE, March 2012. A Discussion of how achieving both greater efficiency and better outcomes in higher education through information technology requires a commitment to fundamental, unfettered thinking about the future both within and outside current institutions—the kind of process many institutions are beginning to undertake.
- Rethinking Higher Education Business Models, Robert Sheets, Stephen Crawford,and Louis Soares. Center for American Progress. March 2012.
- Innovating the 21st-Century University: It’s Time!, EDUCAUSE Review, Volume 45, Number 1, 2010. If colleges and universities open up and embrace collaborative learning and collaborative knowledge production, they have a chance of surviving and even thriving in the networked, global economy of the future.
- The Changing Landscape of Higher Education, EDUCAUSE Review, Volume 46, Number 1, 2011. Focusing strictly on technology trends can obscure other environmental factors that are drivers for innovation in higher education. The authors identify ten fissures in the landscape that are creating areas of potentially tectonic change.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Future of Higher Education
- Thursday's Hawkins Leadership Roundtable Agenda
October 1, 2014
On Thursday morning roundtable members and participants will convene together at 7:30am in room 209 A/C in the Orlando Conference center. This is the last meeting of the roundtable for 2014 and w…
- Wednesday's Hawkins Leadership Roundtable Agenda
September 30, 2014
Tomorrow’s Hawkins Leadership Roundtable activities will continue to connect participants with council members in ways that focus on developing participants’ leadership capabilities and eleva…
- Tuesday's Hawkins Leadership Roundtable Agenda
September 30, 2014
EDUCAUSE 2014 is here and the first meeting of the entire Hawkins Leadership Roundtable kicks off today at 12:30pm in room W209 A/B in the Orlando Conference center. Though this is the first …
- Investing in Personalized Learning Strategies to Improve College Student Outcomes
September 26, 2014
By Jason Palmer, Deputy Director Postsecondary Success Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation My passion for education has been a constant throughout my life, starting with my f…
- Designing a Future of Digital Engagement
September 9, 2014
“The future of higher education is more than a digital replica of yesterday’s campus or even today’s classroom. The building blocks of our future higher education institutions are physica…
- Future Slant: Business Value
September 9, 2014
By Diana G. Oblinger and Joanne Dehoney This is the fourth in a blog series describing five “metatrends,” drawn from a review of articles in industry IT press, that affect CIOs in all …
- Top 5 Security Awareness Resources for NCSAM
September 5, 2014
October is National Cyber Security Awareness Month . In anticipation of security fest 2014, we thought we would share our top 5 picks for security awareness resources. Cybersecurity …
September 4, 2014
[grat-i-tood, -tyood] noun the quality or feeling of being grateful or thankful, as in "He expressed his gratitude to everyone who worked so hard." Regardless…
- Future Slant: Technology and Work
August 22, 2014
Diana G. Oblinger and Joanne Dehoney This is the third in a blog series describing five “metatrends,” drawn from a review of articles in industry IT press, that affect CIOs in all IT…
- Breaking the Barriers Between High School and Higher Ed
August 18, 2014
What is one of the biggest barriers for students transitioning from high school to college? As it turns out, it’s not test scores or grades; it’s what’s in their bank account. How…