Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Podcasts [x]
Higher education's purpose is to equip students for success in life -- in the workplace, in communities, and their personal lives. While this purpose may have remained constant for centuries, the world around colleges and universities is undergoing significant change. Higher education is under pressure to meet greater expectations, whether for student numbers, educational preparation, workforce needs, or economic development. Meanwhile, the resources available are likely to decline. New models, an intense focus on the student experience, and a drive for innovation and entrepreneurism will ensure that higher education continues to meet society's needs. Information technology supports virtually every aspect of higher education, including finances, learning, research, security, and sustainability, and IT professionals need to understand the range of problems their institutions face so they apply IT where it brings greatest value. Creating this future will require collaboration across organizational and national boundaries, bringing together the collective intelligence of people from backgrounds including education, corporations, and government.
Articles and Reports
- The Current and Future State of Higher Education, EDUCAUSE Live!, November 2012.
- Through a Glass, Brightly: IT’s Impact on Higher Education by 2020, ECAR Bulletin, August 2012.
- Information Technology and Tomorrow’s University: A President’s Confessions and Advice. Jolene Koester. EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2011.
- Open Governance in Higher Education: Extending the Past to the Future. Patrick Masson. EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2011.
- Much of the EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, Volume 45, Number 2, March/April 2010 issue is devoted to the future of higher education.
- The entire issue of the EDUCAUSE Quarterly Magazine,Volume 33, Number 1, 2010 is largely devoted to anticipating the future of higher education.
- The entire issue of the EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, Volume 45, Number 1, January/February 2010 is largely devoted to innovation and the future of higher education.
- The Future of Higher Education: Beyond the Campus, EDUCAUSE White Paper, January 2010
Podcasts and Videos
- The Future of Mobile Computing. EDUCAUSE Live! April 2011
- Future of Higher Education, Diana Oblinger, Midwest Regional Conference, March 2010.
- The Future of Higher Education: What Is the IT Professionals Role? Linda A. Jorn, James J. Koenig, David W. Dodd, Robert H. McDonald and Melissa Woo, Midwest Regional Conference, March 2010.
- 2020 Forecast: Creating the Future of Learning, KnowledgeWorks Foundation.
EDUCAUSE Staff Picks
- IT-Based Transformation in Higher Education: Possibilities and Prospects, Greg Jackson, EDUCAUSE, March 2012. A Discussion of how achieving both greater efficiency and better outcomes in higher education through information technology requires a commitment to fundamental, unfettered thinking about the future both within and outside current institutions—the kind of process many institutions are beginning to undertake.
- Rethinking Higher Education Business Models, Robert Sheets, Stephen Crawford,and Louis Soares. Center for American Progress. March 2012.
- Innovating the 21st-Century University: It’s Time!, EDUCAUSE Review, Volume 45, Number 1, 2010. If colleges and universities open up and embrace collaborative learning and collaborative knowledge production, they have a chance of surviving and even thriving in the networked, global economy of the future.
- The Changing Landscape of Higher Education, EDUCAUSE Review, Volume 46, Number 1, 2011. Focusing strictly on technology trends can obscure other environmental factors that are drivers for innovation in higher education. The authors identify ten fissures in the landscape that are creating areas of potentially tectonic change.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Future of Higher Education
- CNI Podcast: Building a 3D Printer Lab at Northeastern University Libraries
July 6, 2015
cni15-yott.mp3 PODCAST …
- Podcast: Digital Scholarship Roundtable
June 17, 2015
CNI15-DigitalScholarship.mp3 PODCAST …
- Podcast: 6 Questions for Diana Oblinger
May 11, 2015
EDUCAUSE President and CEO, Diana Oblinger, talks about the future of higher education IT. …
- Building Consortia for Smaller Colleges
February 24, 2015
Building multi-institutional consortiums allows smaller colleges to accomplish more than they ever could alone. Ellen Borkowski is CIO at Union College and Raechelle Clemmons is CIO for St. Norbe…
- Developing the Higher Ed IT Professional
February 17, 2015
In this conversation with Jennifer Sparrow, Furman Univeristy CIO Fred Miller talks about the specific skills needed in higher education IT, including mastery of the technical and an understandin…
- The Trifecta Effect
January 28, 2015
What happens when a well-developed strategic plan, a KISS governance model, and a formal project management methodology converge? The Trifecta Effect! Learn how to align your planning process fro…
- Research Libraries Collaborating to Compete
November 18, 2014
Learn how Oklahoma's two largest research institutions were able to leverage federal and state directives to a tangible and funded project: ShareOK.org …
- Podcast: Effective Video for MOOCs
October 24, 2014
Elizabeth Evans is production lead at the Duke Digital Initiative. In this podcast interview, she explains how to produce effective video for instructors and why video is such an important compon…
- Steven Mintz: Three Radical Innovations by 2015
July 23, 2014
In this interview, Steven Mintz mentions three innovations that he believes will transform modern higher education. ero-mintz.mp3 …
- Dale Askey On Digital Scholarship and the Library
June 2, 2014
Dale Askey is the Associate University Librarian for Library and Learning Technologies, at McMaster University. He also serves as Administrative Director of the Lewis & Ruth Sherman Ce…