Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Higher education's purpose is to equip students for success in life -- in the workplace, in communities, and their personal lives. While this purpose may have remained constant for centuries, the world around colleges and universities is undergoing significant change. Higher education is under pressure to meet greater expectations, whether for student numbers, educational preparation, workforce needs, or economic development. Meanwhile, the resources available are likely to decline. New models, an intense focus on the student experience, and a drive for innovation and entrepreneurism will ensure that higher education continues to meet society's needs. Information technology supports virtually every aspect of higher education, including finances, learning, research, security, and sustainability, and IT professionals need to understand the range of problems their institutions face so they apply IT where it brings greatest value. Creating this future will require collaboration across organizational and national boundaries, bringing together the collective intelligence of people from backgrounds including education, corporations, and government.
Articles and Reports
- The Current and Future State of Higher Education, EDUCAUSE Live!, November 2012.
- Through a Glass, Brightly: IT’s Impact on Higher Education by 2020, ECAR Bulletin, August 2012.
- Information Technology and Tomorrow’s University: A President’s Confessions and Advice. Jolene Koester. EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2011.
- Open Governance in Higher Education: Extending the Past to the Future. Patrick Masson. EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2011.
- Much of the EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, Volume 45, Number 2, March/April 2010 issue is devoted to the future of higher education.
- The entire issue of the EDUCAUSE Quarterly Magazine,Volume 33, Number 1, 2010 is largely devoted to anticipating the future of higher education.
- The entire issue of the EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, Volume 45, Number 1, January/February 2010 is largely devoted to innovation and the future of higher education.
- The Future of Higher Education: Beyond the Campus, EDUCAUSE White Paper, January 2010
Podcasts and Videos
- The Future of Mobile Computing. EDUCAUSE Live! April 2011
- Future of Higher Education, Diana Oblinger, Midwest Regional Conference, March 2010.
- The Future of Higher Education: What Is the IT Professionals Role? Linda A. Jorn, James J. Koenig, David W. Dodd, Robert H. McDonald and Melissa Woo, Midwest Regional Conference, March 2010.
- 2020 Forecast: Creating the Future of Learning, KnowledgeWorks Foundation.
EDUCAUSE Staff Picks
- IT-Based Transformation in Higher Education: Possibilities and Prospects, Greg Jackson, EDUCAUSE, March 2012. A Discussion of how achieving both greater efficiency and better outcomes in higher education through information technology requires a commitment to fundamental, unfettered thinking about the future both within and outside current institutions—the kind of process many institutions are beginning to undertake.
- Rethinking Higher Education Business Models, Robert Sheets, Stephen Crawford,and Louis Soares. Center for American Progress. March 2012.
- Innovating the 21st-Century University: It’s Time!, EDUCAUSE Review, Volume 45, Number 1, 2010. If colleges and universities open up and embrace collaborative learning and collaborative knowledge production, they have a chance of surviving and even thriving in the networked, global economy of the future.
- The Changing Landscape of Higher Education, EDUCAUSE Review, Volume 46, Number 1, 2011. Focusing strictly on technology trends can obscure other environmental factors that are drivers for innovation in higher education. The authors identify ten fissures in the landscape that are creating areas of potentially tectonic change.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Future of Higher Education
- CIOs and Campus IT: Summer Technology Projects, by Theresa Rowe
August 6, 2014
Theresa Rowe is CIO at Oakland University. Summer is a busy and exciting time for advancement of new tech initiatives and tech renewal projects. Campus CIOs generally expect to handle …
- Five Questions for CIOs
January 27, 2014
Eric Denna is the CIO for the University of Utah and the Utah System of Higher Education. With this issue of EDUCAUSE Review, he begins a one-year term as Editor of the Viewpoints dep…
- IT Risk Management: Try This Exercise at Your Institution
June 30, 2013
The director of IT risk management at the University of Oxford and the associate CIO at Princeton University used the EDUCAUSE Top Ten IT Issues as a guide to inform risk management practices …
- Podcast: Ganesan Ravishanker on the Democracy and Pitfalls of Data Analytics
July 12, 2012
Ganesan Ravishanker is Chief Information Officer at Wellesley College. In this conversation he shares his cautious insights into the challenges and benefits of analytics. …
- EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, Volume 46, Number 3, May/June 2011
May 31, 2011
EDUCAUSE Review Volume 46, Number 3 May/June 2011 Why IT Matters to Higher Education document.write(" "); …
- Learning Spaces as a Strategic Priority
March 26, 2009
By Gene George, Tom Erwin, and Briony Barnes A focused learning spaces design team can establish guidelines and implementation plans for learning spaces that promote student success. …
- ASU Decision Theater
March 26, 2009
By Angelo Fernando and Ricardo Leon The Decision Theater makes the classroom and learning experience portable by providing an immersive, collaborative, and interactive decision lab. …
March 20, 2009
Â© 2009 Malcolm Brown EDUCAUSE Review, vol. 44, no. 2 (March/April 2009): 16-25 Inversions Malcolm Brown Malcolm Brown is Director of Academic Computing at Dartmouth College.…
- No Free Lunch: A Condensed Strategic Planning Process
November 17, 2008
© 2008 C. Patrick Kohrman II. The text of this article is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 license ( http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/ ). EDUCA…
- Goingâ€¦ Goingâ€¦ Gone: Thoughts on Retirement
November 17, 2008
© 2008 Brian L. Hawkins and Carole Barone EDUCAUSE Quarterly, vol. 31, no. 4 (October–December 2008) Professional Development Goingâ€¦ Goingâ€¦ Gone: Thoughts on Retiremen…