Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Higher education's purpose is to equip students for success in life -- in the workplace, in communities, and their personal lives. While this purpose may have remained constant for centuries, the world around colleges and universities is undergoing significant change. Higher education is under pressure to meet greater expectations, whether for student numbers, educational preparation, workforce needs, or economic development. Meanwhile, the resources available are likely to decline. New models, an intense focus on the student experience, and a drive for innovation and entrepreneurism will ensure that higher education continues to meet society's needs. Information technology supports virtually every aspect of higher education, including finances, learning, research, security, and sustainability, and IT professionals need to understand the range of problems their institutions face so they apply IT where it brings greatest value. Creating this future will require collaboration across organizational and national boundaries, bringing together the collective intelligence of people from backgrounds including education, corporations, and government.
Articles and Reports
- The Current and Future State of Higher Education, EDUCAUSE Live!, November 2012.
- Through a Glass, Brightly: IT’s Impact on Higher Education by 2020, ECAR Bulletin, August 2012.
- Information Technology and Tomorrow’s University: A President’s Confessions and Advice. Jolene Koester. EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2011.
- Open Governance in Higher Education: Extending the Past to the Future. Patrick Masson. EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2011.
- Much of the EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, Volume 45, Number 2, March/April 2010 issue is devoted to the future of higher education.
- The entire issue of the EDUCAUSE Quarterly Magazine,Volume 33, Number 1, 2010 is largely devoted to anticipating the future of higher education.
- The entire issue of the EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, Volume 45, Number 1, January/February 2010 is largely devoted to innovation and the future of higher education.
- The Future of Higher Education: Beyond the Campus, EDUCAUSE White Paper, January 2010
Podcasts and Videos
- The Future of Mobile Computing. EDUCAUSE Live! April 2011
- Future of Higher Education, Diana Oblinger, Midwest Regional Conference, March 2010.
- The Future of Higher Education: What Is the IT Professionals Role? Linda A. Jorn, James J. Koenig, David W. Dodd, Robert H. McDonald and Melissa Woo, Midwest Regional Conference, March 2010.
- 2020 Forecast: Creating the Future of Learning, KnowledgeWorks Foundation.
EDUCAUSE Staff Picks
- IT-Based Transformation in Higher Education: Possibilities and Prospects, Greg Jackson, EDUCAUSE, March 2012. A Discussion of how achieving both greater efficiency and better outcomes in higher education through information technology requires a commitment to fundamental, unfettered thinking about the future both within and outside current institutions—the kind of process many institutions are beginning to undertake.
- Rethinking Higher Education Business Models, Robert Sheets, Stephen Crawford,and Louis Soares. Center for American Progress. March 2012.
- Innovating the 21st-Century University: It’s Time!, EDUCAUSE Review, Volume 45, Number 1, 2010. If colleges and universities open up and embrace collaborative learning and collaborative knowledge production, they have a chance of surviving and even thriving in the networked, global economy of the future.
- The Changing Landscape of Higher Education, EDUCAUSE Review, Volume 46, Number 1, 2011. Focusing strictly on technology trends can obscure other environmental factors that are drivers for innovation in higher education. The authors identify ten fissures in the landscape that are creating areas of potentially tectonic change.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Future of Higher Education
- Hidden Advantages of the Breakthrough Models Academy
May 13, 2015
Author: Dustin Hilt, Simmons College While it isn’t hard to find plenty of background ( here , here , and here , for example) on the Breakthrough Models Academy (BMA)…
- Translating CBE Programs into Sustainable Business Models
April 6, 2015
By Rick Staisloff The Higher Education Business Model and CBE As part of its ongoing mission to improve college readiness and completion through the application of technology,…
- Technology & Change: Perspectives on the Role of Faculty
January 27, 2015
I just got new glasses. It’s amazing what I can see now that I couldn’t see before. I begin here because I am going to advocate that all of higher ed get some new glasses. Because the way …
- Repositioning Budget-Constrained Universities as Third-Generation Universities
November 24, 2014
Declines in government funding challenge universities' historical role as centers of culture and engines of economic growth. A third-generation universities model offers a way forward —…
- Preparing Students for Competency-Based Hiring
December 18, 2014
Author: Stacey Clawson, Senior Program Officer, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Transcripts have historically been the official record for what a student has learned in colle…
- Substantive Collaboration: Are We Ready to Lead?
October 7, 2013
Mark Askren is Chief Information Officer at the University of Nebraska–Lincoln. Although MOOCs have received the most attention in higher education this year, another issue is aff…
- Trending Now: Recent News in the Postsecondary World of Next Generation Learning
August 23, 2013
Summer – at least in theory – offers us opportunities to step back, think about the big picture, and consider some of those analyses that have been published in recent months. In that spirit …
- Sustaining Strategic Transitions in Higher Education
August 5, 2013
The pendulum has fallen off its pin and is stuck in the mud. We must find ways to stimulate and scale change across institutions—as well as to sustain those changes—if we are to create mod…
- Business Model Innovation: A Blueprint for Higher Education
November 1, 2012
Christine Flanagan is Student Experience Lab Director for the Business Innovation Factory . Established in 2004, BIF designs, prototypes, and tests new models in education, health car…
- Building a Performance Analytics Environment
July 18, 2012
Jeffrey Cepull is Vice President for Information Resources and CIO, Rashmi Radhakrishnan is Associate Vice President for Information Resources and Director of Administrative Comp…