Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Teaching and Learning [x]
- Student Engagement and Interaction [x]
- Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) (18)
- E-Learning (16)
- IT Integration (16)
- Instructional Technologies (15)
- Learning Environments (13)
- Social Media (12)
- Games and Gaming (10)
- Instructional Design (8)
- Online Learning (8)
- Teaching with Technology (8)
- Collaborative Technologies (7)
- Information Technology Management and Leadership (43)
- Infrastructure and Emerging Technologies (28)
- Libraries and Technology (13)
- Information Systems and Services (8)
Higher education's purpose is to equip students for success in life -- in the workplace, in communities, and their personal lives. While this purpose may have remained constant for centuries, the world around colleges and universities is undergoing significant change. Higher education is under pressure to meet greater expectations, whether for student numbers, educational preparation, workforce needs, or economic development. Meanwhile, the resources available are likely to decline. New models, an intense focus on the student experience, and a drive for innovation and entrepreneurism will ensure that higher education continues to meet society's needs. Information technology supports virtually every aspect of higher education, including finances, learning, research, security, and sustainability, and IT professionals need to understand the range of problems their institutions face so they apply IT where it brings greatest value. Creating this future will require collaboration across organizational and national boundaries, bringing together the collective intelligence of people from backgrounds including education, corporations, and government.
Articles and Reports
- The Current and Future State of Higher Education, EDUCAUSE Live!, November 2012.
- Through a Glass, Brightly: IT’s Impact on Higher Education by 2020, ECAR Bulletin, August 2012.
- Information Technology and Tomorrow’s University: A President’s Confessions and Advice. Jolene Koester. EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2011.
- Open Governance in Higher Education: Extending the Past to the Future. Patrick Masson. EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2011.
- Much of the EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, Volume 45, Number 2, March/April 2010 issue is devoted to the future of higher education.
- The entire issue of the EDUCAUSE Quarterly Magazine,Volume 33, Number 1, 2010 is largely devoted to anticipating the future of higher education.
- The entire issue of the EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, Volume 45, Number 1, January/February 2010 is largely devoted to innovation and the future of higher education.
- The Future of Higher Education: Beyond the Campus, EDUCAUSE White Paper, January 2010
Podcasts and Videos
- The Future of Mobile Computing. EDUCAUSE Live! April 2011
- Future of Higher Education, Diana Oblinger, Midwest Regional Conference, March 2010.
- The Future of Higher Education: What Is the IT Professionals Role? Linda A. Jorn, James J. Koenig, David W. Dodd, Robert H. McDonald and Melissa Woo, Midwest Regional Conference, March 2010.
- 2020 Forecast: Creating the Future of Learning, KnowledgeWorks Foundation.
EDUCAUSE Staff Picks
- IT-Based Transformation in Higher Education: Possibilities and Prospects, Greg Jackson, EDUCAUSE, March 2012. A Discussion of how achieving both greater efficiency and better outcomes in higher education through information technology requires a commitment to fundamental, unfettered thinking about the future both within and outside current institutions—the kind of process many institutions are beginning to undertake.
- Rethinking Higher Education Business Models, Robert Sheets, Stephen Crawford,and Louis Soares. Center for American Progress. March 2012.
- Innovating the 21st-Century University: It’s Time!, EDUCAUSE Review, Volume 45, Number 1, 2010. If colleges and universities open up and embrace collaborative learning and collaborative knowledge production, they have a chance of surviving and even thriving in the networked, global economy of the future.
- The Changing Landscape of Higher Education, EDUCAUSE Review, Volume 46, Number 1, 2011. Focusing strictly on technology trends can obscure other environmental factors that are drivers for innovation in higher education. The authors identify ten fissures in the landscape that are creating areas of potentially tectonic change.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Future of Higher Education
- Online Students Develop Marketable Professional Skills
July 6, 2015
Key Takeaways Students preparing to take online courses anticipated gaining professional skills in addition to their online learning of the course content. A survey …
- A Breakthrough Game Design for Student Success
June 8, 2015
By: Victoria (Tori) Mondelli 2010 was a good year. Next Generation Learning Challenges (NGLC) was founded as an education reform initiative, and I discovered the value of l…
- Engaging Students with a Mobile App
March 30, 2015
Key Takeaways Engaging first-year students in positive experiences can set the tone for the remainder of their educational careers. A major element of engagement is the soci…
- Examining the Student Experience Using Service Blueprinting
April 13, 2015
Students often face problems accomplishing their goals because colleges and universities have poor processes. Service blueprinting, a type of process map, focuses on the student (or customer) …
- The Human-Technology Intersection: A Framework
March 2, 2015
Paul LeBlanc, President of Southern New Hampshire University (SNHU), is the 2015 New Business Models department author and editor for EDUCAUSE Review . The enthusiasm of the ed-te…
- Instructor Engagement with E-Texts
February 23, 2015
Key Takeaways This case study of Indiana University's e-text initiative reports on the participation levels and motivations of instructors in engaging with digital textbooks…
- Technology-Driven Service Learning: The Instructor's Role and the Student's Experience
February 9, 2015
Key Takeaways To enhance student interactions with community organizations in a service-learning course, Ohio State University's Sociology Department introduced mobile t…
- Student Success Innovations to Watch
January 26, 2015
By: Judith A. Pirani Building Blocks for College Completion: Student Success from NextGenLC If you scroll down to the end of the above infographic, which …
- Active Learning at Case Western University
January 26, 2015
Key Takeaways Although related research is in its infancy, active learning approaches have increased in popularity as universities seek to help their students more fully enga…
- Enrollment in MITx MOOCs: Are We Educating Educators?
February 9, 2015
Key Takeaways Surveys of 11 MITx courses on edX in spring 2014 found that one in four (28.0 percent) respondents identified as past or present teachers . Of the survey …