Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Higher education's purpose is to equip students for success in life -- in the workplace, in communities, and their personal lives. While this purpose may have remained constant for centuries, the world around colleges and universities is undergoing significant change. Higher education is under pressure to meet greater expectations, whether for student numbers, educational preparation, workforce needs, or economic development. Meanwhile, the resources available are likely to decline. New models, an intense focus on the student experience, and a drive for innovation and entrepreneurism will ensure that higher education continues to meet society's needs. Information technology supports virtually every aspect of higher education, including finances, learning, research, security, and sustainability, and IT professionals need to understand the range of problems their institutions face so they apply IT where it brings greatest value. Creating this future will require collaboration across organizational and national boundaries, bringing together the collective intelligence of people from backgrounds including education, corporations, and government.
Articles and Reports
- The Current and Future State of Higher Education, EDUCAUSE Live!, November 2012.
- Through a Glass, Brightly: IT’s Impact on Higher Education by 2020, ECAR Bulletin, August 2012.
- Information Technology and Tomorrow’s University: A President’s Confessions and Advice. Jolene Koester. EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2011.
- Open Governance in Higher Education: Extending the Past to the Future. Patrick Masson. EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2011.
- Much of the EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, Volume 45, Number 2, March/April 2010 issue is devoted to the future of higher education.
- The entire issue of the EDUCAUSE Quarterly Magazine,Volume 33, Number 1, 2010 is largely devoted to anticipating the future of higher education.
- The entire issue of the EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, Volume 45, Number 1, January/February 2010 is largely devoted to innovation and the future of higher education.
- The Future of Higher Education: Beyond the Campus, EDUCAUSE White Paper, January 2010
Podcasts and Videos
- The Future of Mobile Computing. EDUCAUSE Live! April 2011
- Future of Higher Education, Diana Oblinger, Midwest Regional Conference, March 2010.
- The Future of Higher Education: What Is the IT Professionals Role? Linda A. Jorn, James J. Koenig, David W. Dodd, Robert H. McDonald and Melissa Woo, Midwest Regional Conference, March 2010.
- 2020 Forecast: Creating the Future of Learning, KnowledgeWorks Foundation.
EDUCAUSE Staff Picks
- IT-Based Transformation in Higher Education: Possibilities and Prospects, Greg Jackson, EDUCAUSE, March 2012. A Discussion of how achieving both greater efficiency and better outcomes in higher education through information technology requires a commitment to fundamental, unfettered thinking about the future both within and outside current institutions—the kind of process many institutions are beginning to undertake.
- Rethinking Higher Education Business Models, Robert Sheets, Stephen Crawford,and Louis Soares. Center for American Progress. March 2012.
- Innovating the 21st-Century University: It’s Time!, EDUCAUSE Review, Volume 45, Number 1, 2010. If colleges and universities open up and embrace collaborative learning and collaborative knowledge production, they have a chance of surviving and even thriving in the networked, global economy of the future.
- The Changing Landscape of Higher Education, EDUCAUSE Review, Volume 46, Number 1, 2011. Focusing strictly on technology trends can obscure other environmental factors that are drivers for innovation in higher education. The authors identify ten fissures in the landscape that are creating areas of potentially tectonic change.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Future of Higher Education
- Creating a Culture of Cybersecurity at Work
October 9, 2015
Security awareness is foundational to creating a culture of cybersecurity. While technologies are evolving to stop advanced attacks, the human element is essential to protecting data in the workp…
- You're an Important Piece of the Puzzle
October 8, 2015
In case you haven't heard (perhaps you've been working remotely on the moon), cybersecurity has become a huge issue for all of us. The security professionals tasked with keeping institu…
- The Partnership Begins at Home
October 7, 2015
For the CIOs reading this: Who is responsible for information security in your organization? Hopefully you can respond with a name — there is plenty of evidence that hiring a chief information …
- Three Steps to Create a Campus Cloud Cybersecurity Culture
October 6, 2015
Celebrated every October, National Cyber Security Awareness Month (NCSAM) was created as a collaborative effort between government and industry to ensure everyone has the resources they need to s…
- Overcoming Social Engineering through Cultural Change
October 5, 2015
More than a connected nation, we are now a connected world. Data in one corner of the planet can easily be accessed by someone halfway around the globe in a matter of seconds with just a few simp…
- On the Move with Two-Factor Authentication
October 1, 2015
You get the attention of your users when they have to go through a mandated password change cycle to get to IT resources. You get extra attention when they remind you that they were just fine for…
- Protect IU
September 30, 2015
Indiana University recently sharpened one of its tools used to provide a safe and secure experience for students, employees, and visitors — its Protect IU website. Faced with a security challen…
- Twenty Years and Still Going Strong
September 29, 2015
Mid-September for me each year means a trip to Cornell University and the annual Institute on Internet Culture, Policy, and Law, better known as "ICPL." While this three day-conference …
- The Cyber Siege of Higher Education in North America
September 28, 2015
A flurry of cyber security incident headlines this summer is illustrating a growing threat facing nearly every higher education institution in North America. Notable incidents included news this …
- Answers to Frequent Cybersecurity Questions
September 28, 2015
October is National Cyber Security Awareness Month, and the Office of Information Technology (OIT) at St. Edward's University, along with many other organizations (like EDUCAUSE) across the …