Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Higher education's purpose is to equip students for success in life -- in the workplace, in communities, and their personal lives. While this purpose may have remained constant for centuries, the world around colleges and universities is undergoing significant change. Higher education is under pressure to meet greater expectations, whether for student numbers, educational preparation, workforce needs, or economic development. Meanwhile, the resources available are likely to decline. New models, an intense focus on the student experience, and a drive for innovation and entrepreneurism will ensure that higher education continues to meet society's needs. Information technology supports virtually every aspect of higher education, including finances, learning, research, security, and sustainability, and IT professionals need to understand the range of problems their institutions face so they apply IT where it brings greatest value. Creating this future will require collaboration across organizational and national boundaries, bringing together the collective intelligence of people from backgrounds including education, corporations, and government.
Articles and Reports
- The Current and Future State of Higher Education, EDUCAUSE Live!, November 2012.
- Through a Glass, Brightly: IT’s Impact on Higher Education by 2020, ECAR Bulletin, August 2012.
- Information Technology and Tomorrow’s University: A President’s Confessions and Advice. Jolene Koester. EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2011.
- Open Governance in Higher Education: Extending the Past to the Future. Patrick Masson. EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2011.
- Much of the EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, Volume 45, Number 2, March/April 2010 issue is devoted to the future of higher education.
- The entire issue of the EDUCAUSE Quarterly Magazine,Volume 33, Number 1, 2010 is largely devoted to anticipating the future of higher education.
- The entire issue of the EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, Volume 45, Number 1, January/February 2010 is largely devoted to innovation and the future of higher education.
- The Future of Higher Education: Beyond the Campus, EDUCAUSE White Paper, January 2010
Podcasts and Videos
- The Future of Mobile Computing. EDUCAUSE Live! April 2011
- Future of Higher Education, Diana Oblinger, Midwest Regional Conference, March 2010.
- The Future of Higher Education: What Is the IT Professionals Role? Linda A. Jorn, James J. Koenig, David W. Dodd, Robert H. McDonald and Melissa Woo, Midwest Regional Conference, March 2010.
- 2020 Forecast: Creating the Future of Learning, KnowledgeWorks Foundation.
EDUCAUSE Staff Picks
- IT-Based Transformation in Higher Education: Possibilities and Prospects, Greg Jackson, EDUCAUSE, March 2012. A Discussion of how achieving both greater efficiency and better outcomes in higher education through information technology requires a commitment to fundamental, unfettered thinking about the future both within and outside current institutions—the kind of process many institutions are beginning to undertake.
- Rethinking Higher Education Business Models, Robert Sheets, Stephen Crawford,and Louis Soares. Center for American Progress. March 2012.
- Innovating the 21st-Century University: It’s Time!, EDUCAUSE Review, Volume 45, Number 1, 2010. If colleges and universities open up and embrace collaborative learning and collaborative knowledge production, they have a chance of surviving and even thriving in the networked, global economy of the future.
- The Changing Landscape of Higher Education, EDUCAUSE Review, Volume 46, Number 1, 2011. Focusing strictly on technology trends can obscure other environmental factors that are drivers for innovation in higher education. The authors identify ten fissures in the landscape that are creating areas of potentially tectonic change.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Future of Higher Education
- "Someone is going to write the software that eats higher education"
September 5, 2012
Kevin Carey, director of the New America Foundation’s education policy program and previously policy director at Education Sector, has actively engaged in the debates around the potential of te…
- 2010 EDUCAUSE-NERCOMP Keynote: Living with Disruption: News from the Frontlines - James Hilton
March 23, 2010
Living with Disruption: News from the Frontlines James Hiltonâ€™s Keynote @ NERCOMP 2010 This presentation was recorded and is available at http://www.educause.edu/blog/gbayne/SessionL…
- 4 Steps to Help Make Informed Technology Decisions
November 19, 2014
By Jonathan Blake Huer, Director of Emerging Technologies and Media Development, Ball State Universit y Making technology decisions by yourself is incredibly difficult…especially to…
- 7 Ways to Use Tech to Improve College Student Success
October 31, 2014
Educational attainment, academic achievement, student persistence, learning and development, and college completion. The success of college students is getting more attention these days with risi…
- Advancing the Next Generation of Learning through Evidence: What We Learned at ELI 2013
February 8, 2013
Editor's Note: This post originally appeared on the NGLC blog at nextgenlearning.org . Several conversations, sessions, and keynote speakers at this year’s annual meeting of …
- Americaâ€™s Call for Higher Education Redesign
February 12, 2013
The most recent Lumina Foundation and Gallup report, "America's Call for Higher Education Redesign," was released on February 5, 2013. The findings suggest that the responden…
- An Operations Checklist for Adopting Higher Ed Tech Innovations
November 17, 2014
Author: Judith A. Pirani “The lesson learned was that, in addition to providing viable software, successful dissemination must also focus on the adopting institution’s implem…
- Breakthroughs in Higher Education
February 3, 2015
“Be the Change You Wish to See in the World” -Mahatma Ghandi Call it disruption. Call it progress. Call it innovation. No matter how it’s labeled, real sustainable change …
- Building Momentum in Teaching, Learning & EdTech
March 30, 2015
What do three fast and furious days of learning and sharing at the intersection of higher ed, teaching and learning and education technology look like? Those who attended the EDUCAUSE Learn…
- Closing the Credential Gap: Higher Education’s Accessibility Makeover
August 11, 2015
The launch of the 2015 Breakthrough Models Incubator When you gather a group of university leaders from across the country together in one room, you get widely varied perspectives on…