Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Higher education's purpose is to equip students for success in life -- in the workplace, in communities, and their personal lives. While this purpose may have remained constant for centuries, the world around colleges and universities is undergoing significant change. Higher education is under pressure to meet greater expectations, whether for student numbers, educational preparation, workforce needs, or economic development. Meanwhile, the resources available are likely to decline. New models, an intense focus on the student experience, and a drive for innovation and entrepreneurism will ensure that higher education continues to meet society's needs. Information technology supports virtually every aspect of higher education, including finances, learning, research, security, and sustainability, and IT professionals need to understand the range of problems their institutions face so they apply IT where it brings greatest value. Creating this future will require collaboration across organizational and national boundaries, bringing together the collective intelligence of people from backgrounds including education, corporations, and government.
Articles and Reports
- The Current and Future State of Higher Education, EDUCAUSE Live!, November 2012.
- Through a Glass, Brightly: IT’s Impact on Higher Education by 2020, ECAR Bulletin, August 2012.
- Information Technology and Tomorrow’s University: A President’s Confessions and Advice. Jolene Koester. EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2011.
- Open Governance in Higher Education: Extending the Past to the Future. Patrick Masson. EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2011.
- Much of the EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, Volume 45, Number 2, March/April 2010 issue is devoted to the future of higher education.
- The entire issue of the EDUCAUSE Quarterly Magazine,Volume 33, Number 1, 2010 is largely devoted to anticipating the future of higher education.
- The entire issue of the EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, Volume 45, Number 1, January/February 2010 is largely devoted to innovation and the future of higher education.
- The Future of Higher Education: Beyond the Campus, EDUCAUSE White Paper, January 2010
Podcasts and Videos
- The Future of Mobile Computing. EDUCAUSE Live! April 2011
- Future of Higher Education, Diana Oblinger, Midwest Regional Conference, March 2010.
- The Future of Higher Education: What Is the IT Professionals Role? Linda A. Jorn, James J. Koenig, David W. Dodd, Robert H. McDonald and Melissa Woo, Midwest Regional Conference, March 2010.
- 2020 Forecast: Creating the Future of Learning, KnowledgeWorks Foundation.
EDUCAUSE Staff Picks
- IT-Based Transformation in Higher Education: Possibilities and Prospects, Greg Jackson, EDUCAUSE, March 2012. A Discussion of how achieving both greater efficiency and better outcomes in higher education through information technology requires a commitment to fundamental, unfettered thinking about the future both within and outside current institutions—the kind of process many institutions are beginning to undertake.
- Rethinking Higher Education Business Models, Robert Sheets, Stephen Crawford,and Louis Soares. Center for American Progress. March 2012.
- Innovating the 21st-Century University: It’s Time!, EDUCAUSE Review, Volume 45, Number 1, 2010. If colleges and universities open up and embrace collaborative learning and collaborative knowledge production, they have a chance of surviving and even thriving in the networked, global economy of the future.
- The Changing Landscape of Higher Education, EDUCAUSE Review, Volume 46, Number 1, 2011. Focusing strictly on technology trends can obscure other environmental factors that are drivers for innovation in higher education. The authors identify ten fissures in the landscape that are creating areas of potentially tectonic change.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Future of Higher Education
- Podcast: Cliff Lynch on Information Technology as a Strategic Resource
April 11, 2011
Particularly in these difficult economic times that are demanding a rethinking of many practices, information technology should be treated as a strategic resource, enabling and supporting change …
- Innovating the 21st-Century University: Itâ€™s Time!
February 4, 2010
Â© 2010 Don Tapscott and Anthony D. Williams EDUCAUSE Review, vol. 45, no. 1 (January/February 2010): 16-29 Don Tapscott and Anthony D. Williams Don Tapscott ( http://dontapsco…
- The Future of Higher Education: Beyond the Campus
January 13, 2010
Higher education's purpose is to equip students for success in life and in the workplace, in communities, and their personal lives. While this purpose may have remained constant for centurie…
- EDUCAUSE Now - #26 - 1)Disruptive Forces in Higher Ed IT 2) Educating Faculty and Students on IT Security
April 7, 2010
This month on EDUCAUSE Now we talk with two university CIOs about the disruptive forces facing higher ed IT. We also feature an interview on educating students and faculty about IT security. …
- Improvisation and Innovation: Rhetoric and Reality - Sponsored by Tuition Management Systems
March 13, 2013
A session at the NERCOMP Annual Conference
We are unlikely to achieve the kind of institutional agility we desire—openness to new ideas, responsiveness to a changing world—if we persist in addressing questions of innovation, improvisati…
- Collaboration without borders
March 19, 2009
In this SURF interview with Diana Oblinger, president of EDUCAUSE, she presents the advantages of international collaboration and the first steps toward a joint strategy. …
- EDUCAUSE Southwest Regional Conference 2007. Summary: Collaboration and the Academy of the Future
March 15, 2007
Summary: Opening General Session 2007 Southwest Regional Conference February 21, 2007 Austin , TX Collaboration and the Academy of the Future …
- Collaboration in a Competitive Environment: Sustaining Success Through Sharing Services
October 15, 2010
A session at the EDUCAUSE 2010 Annual Conference
JISC uses public funds to provide national shared IT services to all the U.K. universities including the U.K.-wide education and research network, SuperJanet, an authentication and authorization sy…