Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Higher education's purpose is to equip students for success in life -- in the workplace, in communities, and their personal lives. While this purpose may have remained constant for centuries, the world around colleges and universities is undergoing significant change. Higher education is under pressure to meet greater expectations, whether for student numbers, educational preparation, workforce needs, or economic development. Meanwhile, the resources available are likely to decline. New models, an intense focus on the student experience, and a drive for innovation and entrepreneurism will ensure that higher education continues to meet society's needs. Information technology supports virtually every aspect of higher education, including finances, learning, research, security, and sustainability, and IT professionals need to understand the range of problems their institutions face so they apply IT where it brings greatest value. Creating this future will require collaboration across organizational and national boundaries, bringing together the collective intelligence of people from backgrounds including education, corporations, and government.
Articles and Reports
- The Current and Future State of Higher Education, EDUCAUSE Live!, November 2012.
- Through a Glass, Brightly: IT’s Impact on Higher Education by 2020, ECAR Bulletin, August 2012.
- Information Technology and Tomorrow’s University: A President’s Confessions and Advice. Jolene Koester. EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2011.
- Open Governance in Higher Education: Extending the Past to the Future. Patrick Masson. EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2011.
- Much of the EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, Volume 45, Number 2, March/April 2010 issue is devoted to the future of higher education.
- The entire issue of the EDUCAUSE Quarterly Magazine,Volume 33, Number 1, 2010 is largely devoted to anticipating the future of higher education.
- The entire issue of the EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, Volume 45, Number 1, January/February 2010 is largely devoted to innovation and the future of higher education.
- The Future of Higher Education: Beyond the Campus, EDUCAUSE White Paper, January 2010
Podcasts and Videos
- The Future of Mobile Computing. EDUCAUSE Live! April 2011
- Future of Higher Education, Diana Oblinger, Midwest Regional Conference, March 2010.
- The Future of Higher Education: What Is the IT Professionals Role? Linda A. Jorn, James J. Koenig, David W. Dodd, Robert H. McDonald and Melissa Woo, Midwest Regional Conference, March 2010.
- 2020 Forecast: Creating the Future of Learning, KnowledgeWorks Foundation.
EDUCAUSE Staff Picks
- IT-Based Transformation in Higher Education: Possibilities and Prospects, Greg Jackson, EDUCAUSE, March 2012. A Discussion of how achieving both greater efficiency and better outcomes in higher education through information technology requires a commitment to fundamental, unfettered thinking about the future both within and outside current institutions—the kind of process many institutions are beginning to undertake.
- Rethinking Higher Education Business Models, Robert Sheets, Stephen Crawford,and Louis Soares. Center for American Progress. March 2012.
- Innovating the 21st-Century University: It’s Time!, EDUCAUSE Review, Volume 45, Number 1, 2010. If colleges and universities open up and embrace collaborative learning and collaborative knowledge production, they have a chance of surviving and even thriving in the networked, global economy of the future.
- The Changing Landscape of Higher Education, EDUCAUSE Review, Volume 46, Number 1, 2011. Focusing strictly on technology trends can obscure other environmental factors that are drivers for innovation in higher education. The authors identify ten fissures in the landscape that are creating areas of potentially tectonic change.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Future of Higher Education
- Forum Futures 2008
September 12, 2008
Forum Futures 2008 is a compilation of summaries of the papers presented and discussed at the Forumâ€™s 2007 Aspen Symposium. Papers address topics such as trends and risks shaping Ameri…
- Podcast: The Tower and the Cloud: Higher Education in the Age of Cloud Computing
May 18, 2009
This podcast features a keynote address from the EDUCAUSE 2009 Enterprise Information and Technology Conference. The speech, " The Tower and the Cloud: Higher Education in the Age of Cloud …
- ELI In Conversation: 21st Century Digital Literacy
May 18, 2009
This ninteen minute podcast features the full conversation from the ELI 2009 Annual meeting. The topic is 21 st Century Digital Literacy.Â Our roundtable discussion includes: Steve…
- E08 Podcast: Social Media and Education: The Conflict Between Technology and Institutional Education, and the Future
November 25, 2008
This fifty minute podcast features a session recorded at the EDUCAUSE 2008 Annual Conference. The presentation, " Social Media and Education: The Conflict Between Technology and Institution…
- Podcast: Today's Clash of Cultures on Campuses and the Role IT Needs to Play
May 30, 2008
This 47 minute podcast features a keynote address from the EDUCAUSE 2008 Enterprise Conference. The speech, " Today's Clash of Cultures on Campuses and the Role IT Needs to Play ,&q…
- MOOCs: The Coming Revolution? - Sponsored by Presidio
November 8, 2012
A session at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference 2012
2012 may become known as the year of rise of disruptive change for higher education, or more simply perhaps the Year of the MOOC (Massive Open Online Course). Whether you believe the new online p…
- Bits and Atoms: An Interview with Neil Gershenfeld
January 1, 2002
Richard N. Katz, Vice President of EDUCAUSE, talks with Dr. Gershenfeld about his ideas on education, some of his past projects, and his current work and interests. …
- Podcast: Leading Ahead of the Curves
March 26, 2008
In this hour-long podcast we feature the closing keynote address from the EDUCAUSE 2008 Midwest Regional Conference. The speech was delivered by Brad Wheeler , Vice President for IT, CIO, and …
- Learning from the Future - EDUCAUSE Mid-Atlantic Regional Conference Opening General Session
March 5, 2008
Summary of the EDUCAUSE Mid-Atlantic Regional Conference Opening General Session, January 15, 2008. Learning from the Future Malcolm B. Brown , Director of Academic Computing, Dartmouth C…
- EDUCAUSE Podcast: Learning from the Future
February 5, 2008
This podcast features a keynote speech from the EDUCAUSE Mid-Atlantic Regional Conference 2008, featuring Malcolm B. Brown , Director of Academic Computing at Dartmouth College. His speech is …