Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Higher education's purpose is to equip students for success in life -- in the workplace, in communities, and their personal lives. While this purpose may have remained constant for centuries, the world around colleges and universities is undergoing significant change. Higher education is under pressure to meet greater expectations, whether for student numbers, educational preparation, workforce needs, or economic development. Meanwhile, the resources available are likely to decline. New models, an intense focus on the student experience, and a drive for innovation and entrepreneurism will ensure that higher education continues to meet society's needs. Information technology supports virtually every aspect of higher education, including finances, learning, research, security, and sustainability, and IT professionals need to understand the range of problems their institutions face so they apply IT where it brings greatest value. Creating this future will require collaboration across organizational and national boundaries, bringing together the collective intelligence of people from backgrounds including education, corporations, and government.
Articles and Reports
- The Current and Future State of Higher Education, EDUCAUSE Live!, November 2012.
- Through a Glass, Brightly: IT’s Impact on Higher Education by 2020, ECAR Bulletin, August 2012.
- Information Technology and Tomorrow’s University: A President’s Confessions and Advice. Jolene Koester. EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2011.
- Open Governance in Higher Education: Extending the Past to the Future. Patrick Masson. EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2011.
- Much of the EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, Volume 45, Number 2, March/April 2010 issue is devoted to the future of higher education.
- The entire issue of the EDUCAUSE Quarterly Magazine,Volume 33, Number 1, 2010 is largely devoted to anticipating the future of higher education.
- The entire issue of the EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, Volume 45, Number 1, January/February 2010 is largely devoted to innovation and the future of higher education.
- The Future of Higher Education: Beyond the Campus, EDUCAUSE White Paper, January 2010
Podcasts and Videos
- The Future of Mobile Computing. EDUCAUSE Live! April 2011
- Future of Higher Education, Diana Oblinger, Midwest Regional Conference, March 2010.
- The Future of Higher Education: What Is the IT Professionals Role? Linda A. Jorn, James J. Koenig, David W. Dodd, Robert H. McDonald and Melissa Woo, Midwest Regional Conference, March 2010.
- 2020 Forecast: Creating the Future of Learning, KnowledgeWorks Foundation.
EDUCAUSE Staff Picks
- IT-Based Transformation in Higher Education: Possibilities and Prospects, Greg Jackson, EDUCAUSE, March 2012. A Discussion of how achieving both greater efficiency and better outcomes in higher education through information technology requires a commitment to fundamental, unfettered thinking about the future both within and outside current institutions—the kind of process many institutions are beginning to undertake.
- Rethinking Higher Education Business Models, Robert Sheets, Stephen Crawford,and Louis Soares. Center for American Progress. March 2012.
- Innovating the 21st-Century University: It’s Time!, EDUCAUSE Review, Volume 45, Number 1, 2010. If colleges and universities open up and embrace collaborative learning and collaborative knowledge production, they have a chance of surviving and even thriving in the networked, global economy of the future.
- The Changing Landscape of Higher Education, EDUCAUSE Review, Volume 46, Number 1, 2011. Focusing strictly on technology trends can obscure other environmental factors that are drivers for innovation in higher education. The authors identify ten fissures in the landscape that are creating areas of potentially tectonic change.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Future of Higher Education
- Information Technology, Leadership, and the Future of Higher Education
November 7, 2012
A session at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference 2012
Over the last 30 years, colleagues in information technology have advocated for and led major shifts in the technological underpinnings of learning, teaching, and research. Over the next 30, we w…
- Chronicle Tech Trends: After a Year of Ed-Tech Disruption, What Now?
November 7, 2012
A session at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference 2012
There's talk of big change. Colleges reached into the cloud. Classrooms "flipped." Administrators hacked their workflow with digital tools. Technology is more important than ever t…
- E08 Podcast: Social Media and Education: The Conflict Between Technology and Institutional Education, and the Future
November 25, 2008
This fifty minute podcast features a session recorded at the EDUCAUSE 2008 Annual Conference. The presentation, " Social Media and Education: The Conflict Between Technology and Institution…
- Podcast: Today's Clash of Cultures on Campuses and the Role IT Needs to Play
May 30, 2008
This 47 minute podcast features a keynote address from the EDUCAUSE 2008 Enterprise Conference. The speech, " Today's Clash of Cultures on Campuses and the Role IT Needs to Play ,&q…
- Podcast: Leading Ahead of the Curves
March 26, 2008
In this hour-long podcast we feature the closing keynote address from the EDUCAUSE 2008 Midwest Regional Conference. The speech was delivered by Brad Wheeler , Vice President for IT, CIO, and …
- Learning from the Future - EDUCAUSE Mid-Atlantic Regional Conference Opening General Session
March 5, 2008
Summary of the EDUCAUSE Mid-Atlantic Regional Conference Opening General Session, January 15, 2008. Learning from the Future Malcolm B. Brown , Director of Academic Computing, Dartmouth C…
- EDUCAUSE Podcast: Learning from the Future
February 5, 2008
This podcast features a keynote speech from the EDUCAUSE Mid-Atlantic Regional Conference 2008, featuring Malcolm B. Brown , Director of Academic Computing at Dartmouth College. His speech is …
- ELI In Conversation: George Siemens and Michael Wesch Talk About Future Learning.
February 1, 2008
In this podcast we feature a conversation between George Siemens , Associate Director of the Learning Technologies Centre at the University of Manitoba. and Michael Wesch , Assistant Profes…
- ELI Podcast: Human Futures for Technology and Education
January 30, 2008
In this hour long podcast we feature a speech by Michael Wesch , Assistant Professor of Cultural Anthropology at Kansas State University, entitled, " Human Futures for Technology and Edu…
- ELI Annual Video: Human Futures for Technology and Education
January 29, 2008
The slides and video of this presentation can be found here . The speech is by Michael Wesch , Assistant Professor of Cultural Anthropology at Kansas State University, and is entitled, &quo…