Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Podcasts (1184)
- Blogs (1098)
- Agreements or Contracts (14)
- Articles, Briefs, Papers, and Reports (6624)
- Bibliography (10)
- Blogs and Wikis (62)
- Books and Monographs (96)
- Certification, Education, Training and Tutorials (42)
- Effective Practices (62)
- Government Documents, Laws, Testimonies or Reports (114)
- Interactive Graphic and Infographics (16)
- Letters (23)
- Plans and Guidelines (99)
- Policies and Procedures (411)
- Presentations and Seminars (9219)
- Programs and Projects (49)
- RFPs (13)
- Surveys (74)
- Tools (45)
- Vendors (5)
- Videos (78)
- Web Sites (48)
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Higher education's purpose is to equip students for success in life -- in the workplace, in communities, and their personal lives. While this purpose may have remained constant for centuries, the world around colleges and universities is undergoing significant change. Higher education is under pressure to meet greater expectations, whether for student numbers, educational preparation, workforce needs, or economic development. Meanwhile, the resources available are likely to decline. New models, an intense focus on the student experience, and a drive for innovation and entrepreneurism will ensure that higher education continues to meet society's needs. Information technology supports virtually every aspect of higher education, including finances, learning, research, security, and sustainability, and IT professionals need to understand the range of problems their institutions face so they apply IT where it brings greatest value. Creating this future will require collaboration across organizational and national boundaries, bringing together the collective intelligence of people from backgrounds including education, corporations, and government.
Articles and Reports
- The Current and Future State of Higher Education, EDUCAUSE Live!, November 2012.
- Through a Glass, Brightly: IT’s Impact on Higher Education by 2020, ECAR Bulletin, August 2012.
- Information Technology and Tomorrow’s University: A President’s Confessions and Advice. Jolene Koester. EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2011.
- Open Governance in Higher Education: Extending the Past to the Future. Patrick Masson. EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2011.
- Much of the EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, Volume 45, Number 2, March/April 2010 issue is devoted to the future of higher education.
- The entire issue of the EDUCAUSE Quarterly Magazine,Volume 33, Number 1, 2010 is largely devoted to anticipating the future of higher education.
- The entire issue of the EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, Volume 45, Number 1, January/February 2010 is largely devoted to innovation and the future of higher education.
- The Future of Higher Education: Beyond the Campus, EDUCAUSE White Paper, January 2010
Podcasts and Videos
- The Future of Mobile Computing. EDUCAUSE Live! April 2011
- Future of Higher Education, Diana Oblinger, Midwest Regional Conference, March 2010.
- The Future of Higher Education: What Is the IT Professionals Role? Linda A. Jorn, James J. Koenig, David W. Dodd, Robert H. McDonald and Melissa Woo, Midwest Regional Conference, March 2010.
- 2020 Forecast: Creating the Future of Learning, KnowledgeWorks Foundation.
EDUCAUSE Staff Picks
- IT-Based Transformation in Higher Education: Possibilities and Prospects, Greg Jackson, EDUCAUSE, March 2012. A Discussion of how achieving both greater efficiency and better outcomes in higher education through information technology requires a commitment to fundamental, unfettered thinking about the future both within and outside current institutions—the kind of process many institutions are beginning to undertake.
- Rethinking Higher Education Business Models, Robert Sheets, Stephen Crawford,and Louis Soares. Center for American Progress. March 2012.
- Innovating the 21st-Century University: It’s Time!, EDUCAUSE Review, Volume 45, Number 1, 2010. If colleges and universities open up and embrace collaborative learning and collaborative knowledge production, they have a chance of surviving and even thriving in the networked, global economy of the future.
- The Changing Landscape of Higher Education, EDUCAUSE Review, Volume 46, Number 1, 2011. Focusing strictly on technology trends can obscure other environmental factors that are drivers for innovation in higher education. The authors identify ten fissures in the landscape that are creating areas of potentially tectonic change.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Future of Higher Education
- Student Experience
Student Experience True What are the three most important…
- Improving Institutional Collaboration Through Unified Communications: A Study of Current Implementations
December 12, 2014
Many higher education institutions are experiencing a fundamental shift in enterprise communication and collaboration, with unified communications (UC) as the foundational service that helps enab…
- 7 Things You Should Know About VR Headsets
December 5, 2014
Virtual reality (VR) uses visual, auditory, and sometimes other sensory inputs to create an immersive, computer-generated environment . VR headsets fully cover users’ eyes and often ears…
- The CIO Minute: Learning to Say No
December 8, 2014
Joanne Kossuth, CIO for the Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering, explains why saying no can help drive innovation and strategic thinking. …
- Institutional Practices and Faculty Perspectives on Research Computing in Higher Education
December 1, 2014
Contemporary scientific and scholarly research is highly dependent on technology, and information technology units play a primary role in enabling research in higher education . Strong r esea…
- 7 Things You Should Read About Evaluating Faculty Development Programs
November 24, 2014
The move to online and hybrid learning environments presents changing needs and new opportunities for faculty development. Growing pressures on resources calls for increasing evidence of th…
- Personalized Learning in Progress: Case Studies of Four Race to the Top–District Grantees’ Early Implementation
November 21, 2014
This newly released report by the U.S. Department of Education shares the experiences of four diverse school districts as they adopt personalized learning approaches that will prepare their stude…
- The 2013 Enterprise Application Market in Higher Education
November 20, 2014
ECAR CDS spotlights highlight findings from the EDUCAUSE Core Data Service, focusing on a small but meaningful slice of data collected in the CDS. This collection of ECAR CDS spotlights focuses…
Affordability True Policymakers and the public view highe…
- Postsecondary Trending Now: Integrated Planning and Advising Services
December 16, 2014
Everyone in an institution of higher education—senior administrators, faculty members, staff in student services and in information technology—is a stakeholder in the success that its student…