Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Higher education's purpose is to equip students for success in life -- in the workplace, in communities, and their personal lives. While this purpose may have remained constant for centuries, the world around colleges and universities is undergoing significant change. Higher education is under pressure to meet greater expectations, whether for student numbers, educational preparation, workforce needs, or economic development. Meanwhile, the resources available are likely to decline. New models, an intense focus on the student experience, and a drive for innovation and entrepreneurism will ensure that higher education continues to meet society's needs. Information technology supports virtually every aspect of higher education, including finances, learning, research, security, and sustainability, and IT professionals need to understand the range of problems their institutions face so they apply IT where it brings greatest value. Creating this future will require collaboration across organizational and national boundaries, bringing together the collective intelligence of people from backgrounds including education, corporations, and government.
Articles and Reports
- The Current and Future State of Higher Education, EDUCAUSE Live!, November 2012.
- Through a Glass, Brightly: IT’s Impact on Higher Education by 2020, ECAR Bulletin, August 2012.
- Information Technology and Tomorrow’s University: A President’s Confessions and Advice. Jolene Koester. EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2011.
- Open Governance in Higher Education: Extending the Past to the Future. Patrick Masson. EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2011.
- Much of the EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, Volume 45, Number 2, March/April 2010 issue is devoted to the future of higher education.
- The entire issue of the EDUCAUSE Quarterly Magazine,Volume 33, Number 1, 2010 is largely devoted to anticipating the future of higher education.
- The entire issue of the EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, Volume 45, Number 1, January/February 2010 is largely devoted to innovation and the future of higher education.
- The Future of Higher Education: Beyond the Campus, EDUCAUSE White Paper, January 2010
Podcasts and Videos
- The Future of Mobile Computing. EDUCAUSE Live! April 2011
- Future of Higher Education, Diana Oblinger, Midwest Regional Conference, March 2010.
- The Future of Higher Education: What Is the IT Professionals Role? Linda A. Jorn, James J. Koenig, David W. Dodd, Robert H. McDonald and Melissa Woo, Midwest Regional Conference, March 2010.
- 2020 Forecast: Creating the Future of Learning, KnowledgeWorks Foundation.
EDUCAUSE Staff Picks
- IT-Based Transformation in Higher Education: Possibilities and Prospects, Greg Jackson, EDUCAUSE, March 2012. A Discussion of how achieving both greater efficiency and better outcomes in higher education through information technology requires a commitment to fundamental, unfettered thinking about the future both within and outside current institutions—the kind of process many institutions are beginning to undertake.
- Rethinking Higher Education Business Models, Robert Sheets, Stephen Crawford,and Louis Soares. Center for American Progress. March 2012.
- Innovating the 21st-Century University: It’s Time!, EDUCAUSE Review, Volume 45, Number 1, 2010. If colleges and universities open up and embrace collaborative learning and collaborative knowledge production, they have a chance of surviving and even thriving in the networked, global economy of the future.
- The Changing Landscape of Higher Education, EDUCAUSE Review, Volume 46, Number 1, 2011. Focusing strictly on technology trends can obscure other environmental factors that are drivers for innovation in higher education. The authors identify ten fissures in the landscape that are creating areas of potentially tectonic change.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Future of Higher Education
- ELI Podcast: Connectivism
January 29, 2008
In this 58 minute podcast, we feature a session by George Siemens , Associate Director for the Learning Technologies Centre at the University of Manitoba, entitled, " Connectivism "…
- CNI Podcast: An Interview with Jim Neal, VP for Information Services and University Librarian, Columbia University
January 9, 2008
In this 20 minute podcast, we feature an interview with Jim Neal , Vice President for Information Services and University Librarian at Columbia University. He provides leadership for universit…
- E07 Podcast: An Interview with Michael Zastrocky from Gartner Inc.
December 18, 2007
In this 7 minute podcast, we feature an interview with Michael Zastrocky , Vice President and Research Director of Academic Strategies for Gartner, Incorporated. He presented a session at the …
- E07 Podcast: An Interview with David Ward, President of the American Council on Education
November 8, 2007
In this 11 minute podcast, we feature a phone interview with David Ward , President of the American Council on Education. A leading spokesperson for American higher education, David Ward becam…
- 2007 Policy Conference: Why Higher Education Advocacy Matters on IT Policy
June 5, 2007
The closing keynote speech at the 2007 Educause Policy Conference was delivered by James X. Dempsey , Policy Director at the Center for Democracy and Technology in Washington, DC. The key conc…
- EDUCAUSE Midwest Regional Conference 2007. Summary: School of Athens or Mr. Ford's Factory: IT & the Future of Higher Education
April 3, 2007
Summary: Opening General Session 2007 Midwest Regional Conference Monday, March 12, 2007 Chicago , Illinois Title: School …
- EDUCAUSE Southwest Regional Conference 2007. Summary: Collaboration and the Academy of the Future
March 15, 2007
Summary: Opening General Session 2007 Southwest Regional Conference February 21, 2007 Austin , TX Collaboration and the Academy of the Future …
- Information Technology, Leadership, and the Future of Higher Education
November 7, 2012
A session at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference 2012
Over the last 30 years, colleagues in information technology have advocated for and led major shifts in the technological underpinnings of learning, teaching, and research. Over the next 30, we w…
- Chronicle Tech Trends: After a Year of Ed-Tech Disruption, What Now?
November 7, 2012
A session at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference 2012
There's talk of big change. Colleges reached into the cloud. Classrooms "flipped." Administrators hacked their workflow with digital tools. Technology is more important than ever t…
- EDUCAUSE Enterprise 2006. Summary: Facing the Future:Creating a Vital Campus in a Time of Restricted Resources (Opening Session)
May 31, 2006
Summary: Facing the Future: Creating a Vital Campus in a Time of Restricted Resources [State of Higher Education and the Future] Alan E. Guskin, President Emeritus, Antioch Universit…