Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Higher education's purpose is to equip students for success in life -- in the workplace, in communities, and their personal lives. While this purpose may have remained constant for centuries, the world around colleges and universities is undergoing significant change. Higher education is under pressure to meet greater expectations, whether for student numbers, educational preparation, workforce needs, or economic development. Meanwhile, the resources available are likely to decline. New models, an intense focus on the student experience, and a drive for innovation and entrepreneurism will ensure that higher education continues to meet society's needs. Information technology supports virtually every aspect of higher education, including finances, learning, research, security, and sustainability, and IT professionals need to understand the range of problems their institutions face so they apply IT where it brings greatest value. Creating this future will require collaboration across organizational and national boundaries, bringing together the collective intelligence of people from backgrounds including education, corporations, and government.
Articles and Reports
- The Current and Future State of Higher Education, EDUCAUSE Live!, November 2012.
- Through a Glass, Brightly: IT’s Impact on Higher Education by 2020, ECAR Bulletin, August 2012.
- Information Technology and Tomorrow’s University: A President’s Confessions and Advice. Jolene Koester. EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2011.
- Open Governance in Higher Education: Extending the Past to the Future. Patrick Masson. EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2011.
- Much of the EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, Volume 45, Number 2, March/April 2010 issue is devoted to the future of higher education.
- The entire issue of the EDUCAUSE Quarterly Magazine,Volume 33, Number 1, 2010 is largely devoted to anticipating the future of higher education.
- The entire issue of the EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, Volume 45, Number 1, January/February 2010 is largely devoted to innovation and the future of higher education.
- The Future of Higher Education: Beyond the Campus, EDUCAUSE White Paper, January 2010
Podcasts and Videos
- The Future of Mobile Computing. EDUCAUSE Live! April 2011
- Future of Higher Education, Diana Oblinger, Midwest Regional Conference, March 2010.
- The Future of Higher Education: What Is the IT Professionals Role? Linda A. Jorn, James J. Koenig, David W. Dodd, Robert H. McDonald and Melissa Woo, Midwest Regional Conference, March 2010.
- 2020 Forecast: Creating the Future of Learning, KnowledgeWorks Foundation.
EDUCAUSE Staff Picks
- IT-Based Transformation in Higher Education: Possibilities and Prospects, Greg Jackson, EDUCAUSE, March 2012. A Discussion of how achieving both greater efficiency and better outcomes in higher education through information technology requires a commitment to fundamental, unfettered thinking about the future both within and outside current institutions—the kind of process many institutions are beginning to undertake.
- Rethinking Higher Education Business Models, Robert Sheets, Stephen Crawford,and Louis Soares. Center for American Progress. March 2012.
- Innovating the 21st-Century University: It’s Time!, EDUCAUSE Review, Volume 45, Number 1, 2010. If colleges and universities open up and embrace collaborative learning and collaborative knowledge production, they have a chance of surviving and even thriving in the networked, global economy of the future.
- The Changing Landscape of Higher Education, EDUCAUSE Review, Volume 46, Number 1, 2011. Focusing strictly on technology trends can obscure other environmental factors that are drivers for innovation in higher education. The authors identify ten fissures in the landscape that are creating areas of potentially tectonic change.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Future of Higher Education
- ELI Podcast: 7 Things Anniversary
September 16, 2013
In this podcast, ELI Director Malcolm Brown celebrates the one hundredth issue of the 7 Things You Should Know About publication. His guests include EDUCAUSE President and CEO Diana Obl…
- Trending Now: Recent News in the Postsecondary World of Next Generation Learning
August 23, 2013
Summer – at least in theory – offers us opportunities to step back, think about the big picture, and consider some of those analyses that have been published in recent months. In that spirit …
- Sustaining Strategic Transitions in Higher Education
August 5, 2013
The pendulum has fallen off its pin and is stuck in the mud. We must find ways to stimulate and scale change across institutions—as well as to sustain those changes—if we are to create mod…
- 7 Things You Should Know About Connected Learning
May 9, 2013
Higher education is entering a new, evolutionary phase defined by connections between everything and everyone . Connected learning is rooted in the active participation of students, instruct…
- Exploring and Designing Breakthrough Models in Higher Education
April 23, 2013
The shifting forces challenging higher education, both within and outside the academy, have dominated countless newspaper headlines and led to a flurry of new books and research discussing trend…
- Thinking about Accreditation in a Rapidly Changing World
April 1, 2013
Online learning has provided a platform for rethinking delivery models, yet much of accreditation is not designed to account for these new approaches. Paul J. LeBlanc is Presiden…
- Winds of Change: Higher Productivity in Higher Education
March 27, 2013
Editor’s Note: In this post, Brandt Redd suggests that personalized learning approaches can address dual pressures on higher education: increasing societal needs and expectations and flat or …
- Kicking Up Dust in Austin at SXSWedu
March 8, 2013
By, Van L. Davis, Ph.D., Director of Special Projects, Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board This week, NGLC headed off to SXSWedu in sunny Austin, Texas. Only in its third year, this …
- Emerging Technologies, Innovation, and Academic Transformation: A Report on the ELI Focus Session
January 31, 2013
On October 2 and 3, 2012, the ELI teaching and learning community gathered for an online focus session on emerging technologies, innovation, and academic transformation . This white paper is…
- Ultra-Affordable Online Courses and the Transformation of Higher Education
January 23, 2013
Brian Voss and Burck Smith will explore higher education's changing landscape and what it means for our IT community. Join us for a discussion spanning traditional institutions, entrepre…