Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Higher education's purpose is to equip students for success in life -- in the workplace, in communities, and their personal lives. While this purpose may have remained constant for centuries, the world around colleges and universities is undergoing significant change. Higher education is under pressure to meet greater expectations, whether for student numbers, educational preparation, workforce needs, or economic development. Meanwhile, the resources available are likely to decline. New models, an intense focus on the student experience, and a drive for innovation and entrepreneurism will ensure that higher education continues to meet society's needs. Information technology supports virtually every aspect of higher education, including finances, learning, research, security, and sustainability, and IT professionals need to understand the range of problems their institutions face so they apply IT where it brings greatest value. Creating this future will require collaboration across organizational and national boundaries, bringing together the collective intelligence of people from backgrounds including education, corporations, and government.
Articles and Reports
- The Current and Future State of Higher Education, EDUCAUSE Live!, November 2012.
- Through a Glass, Brightly: IT’s Impact on Higher Education by 2020, ECAR Bulletin, August 2012.
- Information Technology and Tomorrow’s University: A President’s Confessions and Advice. Jolene Koester. EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2011.
- Open Governance in Higher Education: Extending the Past to the Future. Patrick Masson. EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2011.
- Much of the EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, Volume 45, Number 2, March/April 2010 issue is devoted to the future of higher education.
- The entire issue of the EDUCAUSE Quarterly Magazine,Volume 33, Number 1, 2010 is largely devoted to anticipating the future of higher education.
- The entire issue of the EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, Volume 45, Number 1, January/February 2010 is largely devoted to innovation and the future of higher education.
- The Future of Higher Education: Beyond the Campus, EDUCAUSE White Paper, January 2010
Podcasts and Videos
- The Future of Mobile Computing. EDUCAUSE Live! April 2011
- Future of Higher Education, Diana Oblinger, Midwest Regional Conference, March 2010.
- The Future of Higher Education: What Is the IT Professionals Role? Linda A. Jorn, James J. Koenig, David W. Dodd, Robert H. McDonald and Melissa Woo, Midwest Regional Conference, March 2010.
- 2020 Forecast: Creating the Future of Learning, KnowledgeWorks Foundation.
EDUCAUSE Staff Picks
- IT-Based Transformation in Higher Education: Possibilities and Prospects, Greg Jackson, EDUCAUSE, March 2012. A Discussion of how achieving both greater efficiency and better outcomes in higher education through information technology requires a commitment to fundamental, unfettered thinking about the future both within and outside current institutions—the kind of process many institutions are beginning to undertake.
- Rethinking Higher Education Business Models, Robert Sheets, Stephen Crawford,and Louis Soares. Center for American Progress. March 2012.
- Innovating the 21st-Century University: It’s Time!, EDUCAUSE Review, Volume 45, Number 1, 2010. If colleges and universities open up and embrace collaborative learning and collaborative knowledge production, they have a chance of surviving and even thriving in the networked, global economy of the future.
- The Changing Landscape of Higher Education, EDUCAUSE Review, Volume 46, Number 1, 2011. Focusing strictly on technology trends can obscure other environmental factors that are drivers for innovation in higher education. The authors identify ten fissures in the landscape that are creating areas of potentially tectonic change.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Future of Higher Education
- The Current and Future State of Higher Education
November 20, 2012
Although there may be disagreement about where higher education is headed, few will disagree that we are in a time of change, a time in which a unique set of challenges have emerged. How should w…
- Podcast: Discovery in a Digital World
December 12, 2012
Speaker: Edward L. Ayers, President, University of Richmond In the most effective teaching, students create new knowledge even as they learn. Digital environments possess remarkable capaci…
- Podcast: Student Success at Scale: What Have We Learned from Applying Technology to Persistent Challenges?
November 24, 2012
Speaker: Josh Jarrett, Deputy Director, Education, Postsecondary Success,Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation Multiple efforts are under way to leverage technology to improve student su…
- Higher Education Innovation: Facilitating Global Access to the American Dream
February 3, 2014
A session at the EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative Annual Meeting
"If you want the American dream, go to Finland," quipped Edward Miliband, the current leader of the British Labour Party. The "American Dream"—the notion that "life sho…
- Democratizing Higher Education
October 11, 2012
In this keynote session from The Sloan Consortium Conference , Sebastian Thrun discusses his venture into MOOCs. In 2011, Thrun took his Stanford graduate level class online, and 160,000 stude…
- Higher Ed Next: Innovations That Will Change the Face of Public Higher Ed by 2015 - Sponsored by KI
February 5, 2014
A session at the EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative Annual Meeting
Public higher education is on the verge of far-reaching transformations, which will occur far more quickly than most anticipate. At a time when public attention fixates on MOOCs, the truly transf…
- Rethinking University Models in Light of Technology
November 14, 2012
An event at the National Press Club, "Will US Colleges and Universities Lead or Lag in Education Innovation?" , continued to probe how technology will continue to influence the evolu…
- Thinking Outside the Outside - Sponsored by AACRAO
February 13, 2014
A session at the EDUCAUSE Connect: Portland
Be ready to take what you have learned over the span of this conference and conceive ways to turn creative ideas into actionable innovations. We will explore models and exemplars that support way…
- Next Generation Learning: The Pathway to Possibility
April 3, 2013
“Next generation learning” is about engaging with today’s students through “next generation” teaching and learning designs. In this white paper, the authors present a distilled …
- Through a Glass, Brightly: ITâ€™s Impact on Higher Education by 2020
August 28, 2012
The ECAR 2012 Symposium, was held June 18–20, 2012, in Boulder, Colorado. This event gave IT and higher education leaders the chance to imagine that the year is 2020 and to speculate about th…