Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Podcasts (1173)
- Blogs (1023)
- Agreements or Contracts (14)
- Articles, Briefs, Papers, and Reports (6438)
- Bibliography (10)
- Blogs and Wikis (62)
- Books and Monographs (95)
- Certification, Education, Training and Tutorials (44)
- Effective Practices (62)
- Government Documents, Laws, Testimonies or Reports (112)
- Interactive Graphic and Infographics (14)
- Letters (22)
- Plans and Guidelines (99)
- Policies and Procedures (420)
- Presentations and Seminars (8843)
- Programs and Projects (49)
- RFPs (13)
- Surveys (73)
- Tools (44)
- Vendors (5)
- Videos (68)
- Web Sites (48)
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Information Technology Management and Leadership (7950)
- Teaching and Learning (5862)
- Policy and Law (3019)
- Infrastructure and Emerging Technologies (2671)
- Cybersecurity (2352)
- Federal Policy and Law (2243)
- Information Systems and Services (2126)
- Libraries and Technology (1811)
- 18363 (810)
- 27796 (798)
Higher education's purpose is to equip students for success in life -- in the workplace, in communities, and their personal lives. While this purpose may have remained constant for centuries, the world around colleges and universities is undergoing significant change. Higher education is under pressure to meet greater expectations, whether for student numbers, educational preparation, workforce needs, or economic development. Meanwhile, the resources available are likely to decline. New models, an intense focus on the student experience, and a drive for innovation and entrepreneurism will ensure that higher education continues to meet society's needs. Information technology supports virtually every aspect of higher education, including finances, learning, research, security, and sustainability, and IT professionals need to understand the range of problems their institutions face so they apply IT where it brings greatest value. Creating this future will require collaboration across organizational and national boundaries, bringing together the collective intelligence of people from backgrounds including education, corporations, and government.
Articles and Reports
- The Current and Future State of Higher Education, EDUCAUSE Live!, November 2012.
- Through a Glass, Brightly: IT’s Impact on Higher Education by 2020, ECAR Bulletin, August 2012.
- Information Technology and Tomorrow’s University: A President’s Confessions and Advice. Jolene Koester. EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2011.
- Open Governance in Higher Education: Extending the Past to the Future. Patrick Masson. EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2011.
- Much of the EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, Volume 45, Number 2, March/April 2010 issue is devoted to the future of higher education.
- The entire issue of the EDUCAUSE Quarterly Magazine,Volume 33, Number 1, 2010 is largely devoted to anticipating the future of higher education.
- The entire issue of the EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, Volume 45, Number 1, January/February 2010 is largely devoted to innovation and the future of higher education.
- The Future of Higher Education: Beyond the Campus, EDUCAUSE White Paper, January 2010
Podcasts and Videos
- The Future of Mobile Computing. EDUCAUSE Live! April 2011
- Future of Higher Education, Diana Oblinger, Midwest Regional Conference, March 2010.
- The Future of Higher Education: What Is the IT Professionals Role? Linda A. Jorn, James J. Koenig, David W. Dodd, Robert H. McDonald and Melissa Woo, Midwest Regional Conference, March 2010.
- 2020 Forecast: Creating the Future of Learning, KnowledgeWorks Foundation.
EDUCAUSE Staff Picks
- IT-Based Transformation in Higher Education: Possibilities and Prospects, Greg Jackson, EDUCAUSE, March 2012. A Discussion of how achieving both greater efficiency and better outcomes in higher education through information technology requires a commitment to fundamental, unfettered thinking about the future both within and outside current institutions—the kind of process many institutions are beginning to undertake.
- Rethinking Higher Education Business Models, Robert Sheets, Stephen Crawford,and Louis Soares. Center for American Progress. March 2012.
- Innovating the 21st-Century University: It’s Time!, EDUCAUSE Review, Volume 45, Number 1, 2010. If colleges and universities open up and embrace collaborative learning and collaborative knowledge production, they have a chance of surviving and even thriving in the networked, global economy of the future.
- The Changing Landscape of Higher Education, EDUCAUSE Review, Volume 46, Number 1, 2011. Focusing strictly on technology trends can obscure other environmental factors that are drivers for innovation in higher education. The authors identify ten fissures in the landscape that are creating areas of potentially tectonic change.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Future of Higher Education
- Two K-12 Grantees Recently Featured on Getting Smart blog
March 13, 2014
At first glance, Piedmont City Schools in rural Alabama and New York City’s Brooklyn Laboratory Charter School may not appear to have much in common. The former is a rural district working to b…
- The CIO Pipeline, Part 1: The Strategist vs. the Plumber Revisited
March 12, 2014
This will be the first in a three-post series related to the CIO Pipeline Challenge. Part 2 will address the need to broaden CIO recruitment into the “strategist” pipeline, and Part 3 will …
- Project DAVID: Vocation and Reinvention in Liberal Arts Colleges
January 31, 2014
Project DAVID is about showcasing strategic reinvention underway across higher education. Phase one, focusing primarily on a set liberal arts colleges and universities that are part of the Evange…
- Intellectual Property
Intellectual Property True Higher education institutions,…
- Next Gen Tools: CfA Learning Environment
March 4, 2014
This innovation brief from Next Generation Learning Challenges (NGLC) focuses on the learning environment that College for America has created for its direct assessment, competency-based educat…
- PCI DSS 3.0: What Higher Education IT Needs to Know
March 24, 2014
Key Takeaways Higher education leaders don't always know PCI compliance expectations for payment systems at their institutions despite the impacts on information security for …
- EDUCAUSE 2014 Top-Ten IT Issues
March 24, 2014
A quick look at the 2014 Top-Ten IT Issues A quick look at the 2014 Top-Ten IT Issues. …
- Increase Your Influence: Culture Matters
March 24, 2014
Key Takeaways Clearly defining what leadership means in your organization, embedding it in your culture, and focusing on the development of all employees better positions y…
- The Top 10 IT Issues from a Small College Perspective
April 7, 2014
Key Takeaways The EDUCAUSE Top-Ten IT Issues represent an average of many opinions , leaving the question, What might an individual institution do to address the issues …
- Ethical Discourse: Guiding the Future of Learning Analytics
April 7, 2014
Learning analytics holds increasing potential for student agency and autonomy, highlighting a need for ethical discourse at all levels of higher education institutions. Topics central to thi…