Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Podcasts (36)
- Blogs (42)
- Agreements or Contracts (1)
- Articles, Briefs, Papers, and Reports (203)
- Blogs and Wikis (1)
- Books and Monographs (1)
- Certification, Education, Training and Tutorials (4)
- Effective Practices (3)
- Government Documents, Laws, Testimonies or Reports (4)
- Plans and Guidelines (5)
- Policies and Procedures (307)
- Presentations and Seminars (188)
- Programs and Projects (1)
- Surveys (5)
- Tools (2)
- Videos (3)
- Web Sites (3)
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Higher education's purpose is to equip students for success in life -- in the workplace, in communities, and their personal lives. While this purpose may have remained constant for centuries, the world around colleges and universities is undergoing significant change. Higher education is under pressure to meet greater expectations, whether for student numbers, educational preparation, workforce needs, or economic development. Meanwhile, the resources available are likely to decline. New models, an intense focus on the student experience, and a drive for innovation and entrepreneurism will ensure that higher education continues to meet society's needs. Information technology supports virtually every aspect of higher education, including finances, learning, research, security, and sustainability, and IT professionals need to understand the range of problems their institutions face so they apply IT where it brings greatest value. Creating this future will require collaboration across organizational and national boundaries, bringing together the collective intelligence of people from backgrounds including education, corporations, and government.
Articles and Reports
- The Current and Future State of Higher Education, EDUCAUSE Live!, November 2012.
- Through a Glass, Brightly: IT’s Impact on Higher Education by 2020, ECAR Bulletin, August 2012.
- Information Technology and Tomorrow’s University: A President’s Confessions and Advice. Jolene Koester. EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2011.
- Open Governance in Higher Education: Extending the Past to the Future. Patrick Masson. EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2011.
- Much of the EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, Volume 45, Number 2, March/April 2010 issue is devoted to the future of higher education.
- The entire issue of the EDUCAUSE Quarterly Magazine,Volume 33, Number 1, 2010 is largely devoted to anticipating the future of higher education.
- The entire issue of the EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, Volume 45, Number 1, January/February 2010 is largely devoted to innovation and the future of higher education.
- The Future of Higher Education: Beyond the Campus, EDUCAUSE White Paper, January 2010
Podcasts and Videos
- The Future of Mobile Computing. EDUCAUSE Live! April 2011
- Future of Higher Education, Diana Oblinger, Midwest Regional Conference, March 2010.
- The Future of Higher Education: What Is the IT Professionals Role? Linda A. Jorn, James J. Koenig, David W. Dodd, Robert H. McDonald and Melissa Woo, Midwest Regional Conference, March 2010.
- 2020 Forecast: Creating the Future of Learning, KnowledgeWorks Foundation.
EDUCAUSE Staff Picks
- IT-Based Transformation in Higher Education: Possibilities and Prospects, Greg Jackson, EDUCAUSE, March 2012. A Discussion of how achieving both greater efficiency and better outcomes in higher education through information technology requires a commitment to fundamental, unfettered thinking about the future both within and outside current institutions—the kind of process many institutions are beginning to undertake.
- Rethinking Higher Education Business Models, Robert Sheets, Stephen Crawford,and Louis Soares. Center for American Progress. March 2012.
- Innovating the 21st-Century University: It’s Time!, EDUCAUSE Review, Volume 45, Number 1, 2010. If colleges and universities open up and embrace collaborative learning and collaborative knowledge production, they have a chance of surviving and even thriving in the networked, global economy of the future.
- The Changing Landscape of Higher Education, EDUCAUSE Review, Volume 46, Number 1, 2011. Focusing strictly on technology trends can obscure other environmental factors that are drivers for innovation in higher education. The authors identify ten fissures in the landscape that are creating areas of potentially tectonic change.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Future of Higher Education
- CNI Podcast: Sayeed Choudhury with a Data Conservancy Update
May 24, 2011
The Data Conservancy (DC) has completed its first 18 months of prototyping . Working from a modular, service-oriented architecture , DC has prepared content for preservation, ingested…
- ACUTA Alert: Small Business Jobs Act includes Cell Phone Tax Relief
November 3, 2010
An ACUTA alert explaining a portion of the Small Business Jobs Act which concerns employer-provided cell phones that will no longer be considered "listed property" subject to onerous re…
- Updating Intellectual Property Enforcement Laws
May 11, 2011
The Administration recently issued 20 legislative recommendations to Congress that are designed to improve intellectual property enforcement. Because of the high profit margin and shorter p…
- Open Doors and Open Minds: What Faculty Authors Can Do to Ensure Open Access to Their Work Through Their Institution
April 17, 2008
This White Paper, written by Thinh Nguyen, is addressed to the faculty and administrators of academic institutions who support equitable access to scholarly research and knowledge, and who believ…
- Opening the Door: How Faculty Authors Can Implement an Open Access Policy at Their Institutions
September 13, 2010
This White Paper, written by Simon Franke and Shannon Nestor, is intended as a companion to the "Open Door and Open Minds" SPARC/Science Commons White Paper of April 2008. The purpose o…
- News from the Hill: National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace
April 15, 2011
The White House released today the National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace (NSTIC) , a cybersecurity-based identity management vision and strategy. The strategy was relea…
- July 2011 ICPL Seminar, The Premier Forum for Higher Ed Technology Policy
April 10, 2011
Slated for July 18-21, 2011, in Ithaca, New York, The EDUCAUSE/Cornell Institute for Computer Policy and Law (ICPL) Annual Seminar is an intensive four-day event examining the impact that wid…
- Tips for Safe and Secure Social Networking
August 23, 2010
This Higher Education Information Security Council resource includes US-CERT recommendations and suggested steps to use social networking in a safe and secure environment. …
- Be Prepared
August 19, 2010
The first rule of incident management is to accept that you will have an incident. Use these five best practices to get your institution ready. T…
- ELI2011 Podcast: How To Fix Copyright
March 7, 2011
Due to the changes wrought by digital technology and the Internet, ordinary people are becoming authors , publishers , and, less appealingly, potential infringers on a massive scale…