Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Higher education's purpose is to equip students for success in life -- in the workplace, in communities, and their personal lives. While this purpose may have remained constant for centuries, the world around colleges and universities is undergoing significant change. Higher education is under pressure to meet greater expectations, whether for student numbers, educational preparation, workforce needs, or economic development. Meanwhile, the resources available are likely to decline. New models, an intense focus on the student experience, and a drive for innovation and entrepreneurism will ensure that higher education continues to meet society's needs. Information technology supports virtually every aspect of higher education, including finances, learning, research, security, and sustainability, and IT professionals need to understand the range of problems their institutions face so they apply IT where it brings greatest value. Creating this future will require collaboration across organizational and national boundaries, bringing together the collective intelligence of people from backgrounds including education, corporations, and government.
Articles and Reports
- The Current and Future State of Higher Education, EDUCAUSE Live!, November 2012.
- Through a Glass, Brightly: IT’s Impact on Higher Education by 2020, ECAR Bulletin, August 2012.
- Information Technology and Tomorrow’s University: A President’s Confessions and Advice. Jolene Koester. EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2011.
- Open Governance in Higher Education: Extending the Past to the Future. Patrick Masson. EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2011.
- Much of the EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, Volume 45, Number 2, March/April 2010 issue is devoted to the future of higher education.
- The entire issue of the EDUCAUSE Quarterly Magazine,Volume 33, Number 1, 2010 is largely devoted to anticipating the future of higher education.
- The entire issue of the EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, Volume 45, Number 1, January/February 2010 is largely devoted to innovation and the future of higher education.
- The Future of Higher Education: Beyond the Campus, EDUCAUSE White Paper, January 2010
Podcasts and Videos
- The Future of Mobile Computing. EDUCAUSE Live! April 2011
- Future of Higher Education, Diana Oblinger, Midwest Regional Conference, March 2010.
- The Future of Higher Education: What Is the IT Professionals Role? Linda A. Jorn, James J. Koenig, David W. Dodd, Robert H. McDonald and Melissa Woo, Midwest Regional Conference, March 2010.
- 2020 Forecast: Creating the Future of Learning, KnowledgeWorks Foundation.
EDUCAUSE Staff Picks
- IT-Based Transformation in Higher Education: Possibilities and Prospects, Greg Jackson, EDUCAUSE, March 2012. A Discussion of how achieving both greater efficiency and better outcomes in higher education through information technology requires a commitment to fundamental, unfettered thinking about the future both within and outside current institutions—the kind of process many institutions are beginning to undertake.
- Rethinking Higher Education Business Models, Robert Sheets, Stephen Crawford,and Louis Soares. Center for American Progress. March 2012.
- Innovating the 21st-Century University: It’s Time!, EDUCAUSE Review, Volume 45, Number 1, 2010. If colleges and universities open up and embrace collaborative learning and collaborative knowledge production, they have a chance of surviving and even thriving in the networked, global economy of the future.
- The Changing Landscape of Higher Education, EDUCAUSE Review, Volume 46, Number 1, 2011. Focusing strictly on technology trends can obscure other environmental factors that are drivers for innovation in higher education. The authors identify ten fissures in the landscape that are creating areas of potentially tectonic change.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Future of Higher Education
- EDUCAUSE Now - #40 - 1) Stephen Laster, CIO, Harvard Business School 2) Supporting Faculty for Online Teaching
June 9, 2011
This month on EDUCAUSE Now : Stephen Laster, CIO, Harvard Business School, on collaboration, outsourcing, and the future of higher ed IT, and Barbara Zirkin talks about distance learning …
- Future of Higher Education
September 22, 2010
About 85 institutions in the Western world established by 1500 still exist in recognizable forms, with similar functions and unbroken histories, including the Catholic church, the Parliaments …
- Beyond the Campus: The Future of Higher Education
September 13, 2010
Worldwide changes catalyzed by information technology are changing our traditional notions of what the future of higher education will be. The "digital age" offers new opportunities, su…
- The Future of Learning Environments
July 22, 2010
In this 8-minute video, EDUCAUSE Now showcases innovative learning environments that facilitate interactivity, encourage collaboration, and bend our expectations of time and space. The video hig…
- Questioning the Future of the Open Student
August 5, 2010
© 2010 2010 Vicki Davis. The text of this article is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 License ( http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/ ).…
- EDUCAUSE Now: - #37 - 1) IT Helping Higher Ed Be More Nimble 2) Interview with Leah Lang, Service and Metrics Analyst
March 10, 2011
This month on EDUCAUSE Now :Â We ask the question to several higher education IT leaders : How can IT help higher education become more nimble ? We also feature an interview with …
- ELI2011 Podcast: The Problem of Learning in the Postcourse Era
March 8, 2011
Higher education teaching practices (and curricula) sit at the potentially tense convergence of the power of experiential, ubiquitous and social learning on the one hand and rising pr…
- E10 Session Podcast: The 2010 Campus Computing Survey
January 3, 2011
Begun in 1990, the Campus Computing Project is the largest continuing study of the role of computing, e-learning, and information technology in U.S. higher education. In this session, Kenneth C…
- Individual Knowledge in the Internet Age
April 15, 2010
© 2010 Larry Sanger. The text of this article is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 License ( http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/ ). …
- E10 Session Podcast: Distance vs. Distributed Education: Bringing the Campus to the Student
November 4, 2010
Advances in integrating the worlds of bits and atoms are challenging assumptions of scarcity that are implicit in the organization of advanced technical education and investigation. In this sessi…