Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Podcasts [x]
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Identity management refers to the policies, processes, and technologies that establish user identities and enforce rules about access to digital resources. In a campus setting, many information systems–such as e-mail, learning management systems, library databases, and grid computing applications–require users to authenticate themselves (typically with a username and password). An authorization process then determines which systems an authenticated user is permitted to access. With an enterprise identity management system, rather than having separate credentials for each system, a user can employ a single digital identity to access all resources to which the user is entitled. Federated identity management permits extending this approach above the enterprise level, creating a trusted authority for digital identities across multiple organizations. In a federated system, participating institutions share identity attributes based on agreed-upon standards, facilitating authentication from other members of the federation and granting appropriate access to online resources. This approach streamlines access to digital assets while protecting restricted resources. [Source: 7 Things You Should Know About Federated Identity Management]
- Toolkit for Developing an Identity and Access Management (IAM) Program, The IAM Program Outline has been created as a roadmap for institutions to use in developing an IAM program or to address gaps in their current offerings.
- 2011 ECAR Identity Management in Higher Education Report
- EDUCAUSE/InCommon Partnership: EDUCAUSE has partnered with the InCommon Federation to provide members who use our web resources, the benefits and ease of Federated Identity Management access.
- Identity & Access Management (IAM) Discussion Group: EDUCAUSE operates an open mailing list for general discussion of Identity and Access Management (IAM) topics and maintains a website with additional resources and links.
- IAM Tools & Effective Practices Wiki: This wiki provides a set of resources for IAM Architects to use in implementing a cohesive program on their respective campuses.
- IAM Online: IAM Online is a monthly series delivering interactive education on Identity and Access Management (IAM), including federated identity management essentials, advanced issues in IAM, and hot topics from the EDUCAUSE community. Experts will provide overviews, answer questions and lead discussions.
- InCommon: The InCommon Federation eliminates the need for researchers, students, and educators to maintain multiple passwords and usernames. Online service providers no longer need to maintain user accounts. Identity providers manage the levels of their users' privacy and information exchange. InCommon also offers a Certificate Service for the higher education community. InCommon also offers a Certificate Service for the higher education community, as well as a number of training and education programs such as CAMP.
- The Information Security Guide, maintained by the Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC), includes a chapter on Access Control.
- National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace (NSTIC): Resources include a July 2011 response to the Department of Commerce Notice of Inquiry for Models for a Governance Structure for NSTIC (prepared by EDUCAUSE, Internet2, and InCommon).
- Shibboleth®: The Shibboleth System is a standards based, open source software package for web single sign-on across or within organizational boundaries. It allows sites to make informed authorization decisions for individual access of protected online resources in a privacy-preserving manner.
- US Trust Federations: This community collaboration group is exploring the building of federations within and across state boundaries. Invited participants include StateNets and Higher Education Systems staff. This effort is supported by and .
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Identity and Access Management
- Cristina Maldonado on Delivering Engaging Webinars
December 12, 2013
Cristinia Maldonado is manager of IT training and documentation at Tufts University. In this interview she discusses how to create an effective webinar. …
- Podcast: The Importance of Mentors on the Journey to a First CIO Position
November 28, 2012
Speaker: Melissa Woo, Vice Provost for IS and CIO, University of Oregon Mentoring has evolved beyond the traditional long-term, one-on-one style. There are many different mentoring st…
- Podcast Interview: A. Michael Berman on Innovation and the Economic Realities of Higher Education
July 22, 2011
A. Michael Berman is Chief Information Officer for California State University, Channel Islands. In this interview with Colin Currie , Berman talks about creating and maintaining in…
- E10 Session Podcast: Above-Campus Services: Demand Aggregation Progress and Roadmap
December 6, 2010
Cloud services, outsourcing, and multi-institutional demand aggregation continue as hot topics as colleges and universities adapt to new budget and service realities. This session assesses the pr…
- Podcast: Mentoring as a Professional Development Tool
September 28, 2010
Mentoring can be a great tool for both mentor and mentee to enrich their professional development. Having a person to bounce off ideas and to give advice is an invaluable tool in sharpening one…
- Interview Podcast: Rosalyn Metz Explains Cloud Computing in Higher Ed
July 14, 2010
Cloud computing is the new hot topic in IT. While many are talking about it, few actually understand what it is, how it's being used, and what benefits it could offer to higher education. In…
- EDUCAUSE Now - #27 - 1) New Skills Needed for IT 2) Seven Disciplines, Seven Ways to Publish
May 13, 2010
This month on EDUCAUSE Now : In the age of the cloud, technical skills no longer provide a sufficient base for a successful IT career. We talk with higher ed IT leaders to discover what compet…
- Interview Podcast: Nadine Stern on the New World of Cloud Computing and Vendor Relations
April 22, 2010
In this interview, Nadine Stern , Vice President of Information Technology and Enrollment Services at the College of New Jersey, discusses her institution's approach to cloud computing, i…
- In Conversation: Leadership in a New Work Environment
April 21, 2010
If you have been brought to an organization as a change agent, how do you lead in a culture that may be different from the one you left behind? In this conversation, Ulrich Rauch , Professor f…
- Interview Podcast: Fred Estrella on the CIO's Role in Staff Morale and Professional Development
April 20, 2010
Fred Estrella , Chief Information Technology Officer for Northern Arizona University, discusses current and upcoming concerns for CIOs, leadership during tough economic times, and ways to enco…