Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Podcasts [x]
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Identity management refers to the policies, processes, and technologies that establish user identities and enforce rules about access to digital resources. In a campus setting, many information systems–such as e-mail, learning management systems, library databases, and grid computing applications–require users to authenticate themselves (typically with a username and password). An authorization process then determines which systems an authenticated user is permitted to access. With an enterprise identity management system, rather than having separate credentials for each system, a user can employ a single digital identity to access all resources to which the user is entitled. Federated identity management permits extending this approach above the enterprise level, creating a trusted authority for digital identities across multiple organizations. In a federated system, participating institutions share identity attributes based on agreed-upon standards, facilitating authentication from other members of the federation and granting appropriate access to online resources. This approach streamlines access to digital assets while protecting restricted resources. [Source: 7 Things You Should Know About Federated Identity Management]
- Toolkit for Developing an Identity and Access Management (IAM) Program, The IAM Program Outline has been created as a roadmap for institutions to use in developing an IAM program or to address gaps in their current offerings.
- 2011 ECAR Identity Management in Higher Education Report
- EDUCAUSE/InCommon Partnership: EDUCAUSE has partnered with the InCommon Federation to provide members who use our web resources, the benefits and ease of Federated Identity Management access.
- Identity & Access Management (IAM) Discussion Group: EDUCAUSE operates an open mailing list for general discussion of Identity and Access Management (IAM) topics and maintains a website with additional resources and links.
- IAM Tools & Effective Practices Wiki: This wiki provides a set of resources for IAM Architects to use in implementing a cohesive program on their respective campuses.
- IAM Online: IAM Online is a monthly series delivering interactive education on Identity and Access Management (IAM), including federated identity management essentials, advanced issues in IAM, and hot topics from the EDUCAUSE community. Experts will provide overviews, answer questions and lead discussions.
- InCommon: The InCommon Federation eliminates the need for researchers, students, and educators to maintain multiple passwords and usernames. Online service providers no longer need to maintain user accounts. Identity providers manage the levels of their users' privacy and information exchange. InCommon also offers a Certificate Service for the higher education community. InCommon also offers a Certificate Service for the higher education community, as well as a number of training and education programs such as CAMP.
- The Information Security Guide, maintained by the Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC), includes a chapter on Access Control.
- National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace (NSTIC): Resources include a July 2011 response to the Department of Commerce Notice of Inquiry for Models for a Governance Structure for NSTIC (prepared by EDUCAUSE, Internet2, and InCommon).
- Shibboleth®: The Shibboleth System is a standards based, open source software package for web single sign-on across or within organizational boundaries. It allows sites to make informed authorization decisions for individual access of protected online resources in a privacy-preserving manner.
- US Trust Federations: This community collaboration group is exploring the building of federations within and across state boundaries. Invited participants include StateNets and Higher Education Systems staff. This effort is supported by Internet2, EDUCAUSE, and InCommon.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Identity and Access Management
- Interview: Matthew Burfeind, Massachusetts College of Art and Design
February 21, 2014
Matthew Burfeind is interim CIO for the Massachusetts College of Art and Design. In this interview he talks about the challenges of collaboration, enterprise computing, and his role as interim …
- A Corporate Perspective on Enterprise
August 14, 2013
In this podcast, Amal Chaudhuri, Chief Technology Officer for TheBondFactor, LLC provides perspective from a corporate standpoint on enterprise systems and higher education IT. …
- Podcast: Ganesan Ravishanker on the Democracy and Pitfalls of Data Analytics
July 12, 2012
Ganesan Ravishanker is Chief Information Officer at Wellesley College. In this conversation he shares his cautious insights into the challenges and benefits of analytics. …
- Podcast: Kevin Morooney on Enterprise IT Challenges
June 24, 2011
In this conversation with Kevin Morooney , Vice Provost for IT and CIO of the Pennsylvania State University, we discuss what enterprise IT issues keep him up at night. Morooney also reflects a…
- Podcast: ERPs and the Academy: The Benefits and the Problems
May 18, 2009
This hour and sixteen minute podcast features a general session discussion from the EDUCAUSE 2009 Enterprise Information and Technology Conference. The discussion, " ERPs and the Academy: T…
- E07 Podcast: An Interview with Robert Renaud
November 12, 2007
In this 16-minute podcast, we feature an interview with Robert Renaud , Vice President and CIO, Dickinson College He discusses the future of and challenges facing Enterprise Resource Planning…
- 2007 Enterprise Conference: The Adaptable University
June 15, 2007
This podcast features a keynote address from the 2007 Enterprise Conference in Chicago, Illinois. Our speaker is H. David Lambert , Vice President for Information Services and Chief Informatio…
- EDUCAUSE2006 Podcast: Offshoring
April 22, 2007
In this 41-minute recording from the 2006 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, we'll hear from Robert O'Leary and Nick Pavlakos in a session entitled Offshoring: Bringing Business Value to Sta…
- EDUCAUSE2006 Podcat: Cat Herding in the Green Mountains
April 16, 2007
In this 44-minute recording from the 2006 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, we'll hear from Linda Hilton and Eric Sakai in a session entitled Cat Herding in the Green Mountains: An Enterprise I…
- EDUCAUSE2006 Podcast: Strategies for Successful ERP Implementation
March 24, 2007
In this 46-minute recording from the 2006 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, we'll hear from Robert Pack in a session entitled Strategies for Ensuring a Successful ERP System Implementation. Pa…