Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Podcasts [x]
Identity management refers to the policies, processes, and technologies that establish user identities and enforce rules about access to digital resources. In a campus setting, many information systems–such as e-mail, learning management systems, library databases, and grid computing applications–require users to authenticate themselves (typically with a username and password). An authorization process then determines which systems an authenticated user is permitted to access. With an enterprise identity management system, rather than having separate credentials for each system, a user can employ a single digital identity to access all resources to which the user is entitled. Federated identity management permits extending this approach above the enterprise level, creating a trusted authority for digital identities across multiple organizations. In a federated system, participating institutions share identity attributes based on agreed-upon standards, facilitating authentication from other members of the federation and granting appropriate access to online resources. This approach streamlines access to digital assets while protecting restricted resources. [Source: 7 Things You Should Know About Federated Identity Management]
- Toolkit for Developing an Identity and Access Management (IAM) Program, The IAM Program Outline has been created as a roadmap for institutions to use in developing an IAM program or to address gaps in their current offerings.
- 2011 ECAR Identity Management in Higher Education Report
- EDUCAUSE/InCommon Partnership: EDUCAUSE has partnered with the InCommon Federation to provide members who use our web resources, the benefits and ease of Federated Identity Management access.
- Identity & Access Management (IAM) Discussion Group: EDUCAUSE operates an open mailing list for general discussion of Identity and Access Management (IAM) topics and maintains a website with additional resources and links.
- IAM Tools & Effective Practices Wiki: This wiki provides a set of resources for IAM Architects to use in implementing a cohesive program on their respective campuses.
- IAM Online: IAM Online is a monthly series delivering interactive education on Identity and Access Management (IAM), including federated identity management essentials, advanced issues in IAM, and hot topics from the EDUCAUSE community. Experts will provide overviews, answer questions and lead discussions.
- InCommon: The InCommon Federation eliminates the need for researchers, students, and educators to maintain multiple passwords and usernames. Online service providers no longer need to maintain user accounts. Identity providers manage the levels of their users' privacy and information exchange. InCommon also offers a Certificate Service for the higher education community. InCommon also offers a Certificate Service for the higher education community, as well as a number of training and education programs such as CAMP.
- The Information Security Guide, maintained by the Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC), includes a chapter on Access Control.
- National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace (NSTIC): Resources include a July 2011 response to the Department of Commerce Notice of Inquiry for Models for a Governance Structure for NSTIC (prepared by EDUCAUSE, Internet2, and InCommon).
- Shibboleth®: The Shibboleth System is a standards based, open source software package for web single sign-on across or within organizational boundaries. It allows sites to make informed authorization decisions for individual access of protected online resources in a privacy-preserving manner.
- US Trust Federations: This community collaboration group is exploring the building of federations within and across state boundaries. Invited participants include StateNets and Higher Education Systems staff. This effort is supported by Internet2, EDUCAUSE, and InCommon.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Identity and Access Management
- E10 Session Podcast: Above-Campus Services: Demand Aggregation Progress and Roadmap
December 6, 2010
Cloud services, outsourcing, and multi-institutional demand aggregation continue as hot topics as colleges and universities adapt to new budget and service realities. This session assesses the pr…
- Interview Podcast: Rosalyn Metz Explains Cloud Computing in Higher Ed
July 14, 2010
Cloud computing is the new hot topic in IT. While many are talking about it, few actually understand what it is, how it's being used, and what benefits it could offer to higher education. In…
- Session Podcast: IT Sourcing â€” From the Campus to the Cloud
March 30, 2010
This session by Philip Goldstein , ECAR Fellow, presents the results of ECAR's just completed research on the use of alternative strategies to provide and operate information technologi…
- Session Podcast: Embracing the Cloud â€” New Approaches for Delivering Campus IT Services
March 25, 2010
Outsourcing, open source, SaaS, and virtualization offer new approaches for delivering campus IT services. Examples at NJIT include Google Mail, Postini, Moodle, iTunes U, thin-client desktops, a…
- Podcast: David J. Ernst on Outsourcing and the Cloud
December 3, 2009
David J. Ernst is Associate Vice President and CIO at the University of California. In this interview he talks about outsourcing and the impact it can have when combined with the potential of…
- In Conversation: Cloud Computingâ€”Hype or Hope?
November 19, 2009
"Cloud computing" is the buzzword today. What is reality, and what is merely hype? Does this paradigm offer great promise or extreme peril to the core mission of the academy? Two academ…
- E08 Podcast: E-Mail: In or Out?
November 25, 2008
This forty-six minute podcast features a point-counterpoint session recorded at the EDUCAUSE 2008 Annual Conference. The presentation, " E-Mail: In or Out? ," is a panel discussion on…
- E07 Podcast: An Interview with Cedric Bennett - Security Concerns and Risk Management
November 1, 2007
In this fifteen minute podcast, we feature an interview with Cedric Bennett , Emeritus Director for Information Security Services at Stanford University. Mr. Bennett also serves on the EDUCAUS…
- Podcast: Outsourcing and Partnering for Student Collaborative Services - An Interview with O'Neal Smitherman
August 13, 2007
In this 14 minute podcast, we feature an interview with O'Neal Smitherman , Vice President for Information Technology at Ball State University, from the 2007 Seminars On Academic Computin…
- Commoditization of Core Services: An Interview with Brian Voss and Cynthia Hadden
June 20, 2007
This 13 minute podcast features an interview with CIO Brian Voss and Deputy CIO and Executive Director, UIS, Cynthia Hadden , both from Louisiana State University. They presented a session…