Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Podcasts [x]
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Identity management refers to the policies, processes, and technologies that establish user identities and enforce rules about access to digital resources. In a campus setting, many information systems–such as e-mail, learning management systems, library databases, and grid computing applications–require users to authenticate themselves (typically with a username and password). An authorization process then determines which systems an authenticated user is permitted to access. With an enterprise identity management system, rather than having separate credentials for each system, a user can employ a single digital identity to access all resources to which the user is entitled. Federated identity management permits extending this approach above the enterprise level, creating a trusted authority for digital identities across multiple organizations. In a federated system, participating institutions share identity attributes based on agreed-upon standards, facilitating authentication from other members of the federation and granting appropriate access to online resources. This approach streamlines access to digital assets while protecting restricted resources. [Source: 7 Things You Should Know About Federated Identity Management]
- Toolkit for Developing an Identity and Access Management (IAM) Program, The IAM Program Outline has been created as a roadmap for institutions to use in developing an IAM program or to address gaps in their current offerings.
- 2011 ECAR Identity Management in Higher Education Report
- EDUCAUSE/InCommon Partnership: EDUCAUSE has partnered with the InCommon Federation to provide members who use our web resources, the benefits and ease of Federated Identity Management access.
- Identity & Access Management (IAM) Discussion Group: EDUCAUSE operates an open mailing list for general discussion of Identity and Access Management (IAM) topics and maintains a website with additional resources and links.
- IAM Tools & Effective Practices Wiki: This wiki provides a set of resources for IAM Architects to use in implementing a cohesive program on their respective campuses.
- IAM Online: IAM Online is a monthly series delivering interactive education on Identity and Access Management (IAM), including federated identity management essentials, advanced issues in IAM, and hot topics from the EDUCAUSE community. Experts will provide overviews, answer questions and lead discussions.
- InCommon: The InCommon Federation eliminates the need for researchers, students, and educators to maintain multiple passwords and usernames. Online service providers no longer need to maintain user accounts. Identity providers manage the levels of their users' privacy and information exchange. InCommon also offers a Certificate Service for the higher education community. InCommon also offers a Certificate Service for the higher education community, as well as a number of training and education programs such as CAMP.
- The Information Security Guide, maintained by the Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC), includes a chapter on Access Control.
- National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace (NSTIC): Resources include a July 2011 response to the Department of Commerce Notice of Inquiry for Models for a Governance Structure for NSTIC (prepared by EDUCAUSE, Internet2, and InCommon).
- Shibboleth®: The Shibboleth System is a standards based, open source software package for web single sign-on across or within organizational boundaries. It allows sites to make informed authorization decisions for individual access of protected online resources in a privacy-preserving manner.
- US Trust Federations: This community collaboration group is exploring the building of federations within and across state boundaries. Invited participants include StateNets and Higher Education Systems staff. This effort is supported by Internet2, EDUCAUSE, and InCommon.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Identity and Access Management
- Podcast: John Campbell and George Siemens on Using Analytics
July 25, 2012
In this podcast, Executive Director of Administrative Information Services at Princeton University, Colin Currie , talks analytics with George Siemens and John Campbell . Siemens is a …
- Podcast: Linda Baer on the Promise of Analytics
July 12, 2012
Linda Baer is the senior leading consultant and founder of i4 Now Solutions. Linda previously served as Senior Program Officer for Postsecondary Success for the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.…
- E08 Podcast: Why IT Matters: A Presidentâ€™s Perspective on Technology and Leadership
November 10, 2008
This fifty-five minute podcast, recorded at the EDUCAUSE 2008 Annual Conference, features a speech by Freeman A. Hrabowski, III , President at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County. The…
- Podcast: Robert J. Lowden on Virtualization
July 19, 2007
Gartner estimates that 90 percent of Fortune 1000 companies will use virtualization by 2008. As higher education IT organizations adopt this technology, a variety of strategic decisions must be a…
- EDUCAUSE2006 Podcast: Creating and Implementing IT Processes
February 24, 2007
In this 50-minute recording from the 2006 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, we'll hear from Tom Jordan in a session entitled Creating and Implementing Effective IT Processes . Jordan talks abou…