Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Teaching and Learning [x]
- Information Technology Management and Leadership (8)
- Computing Facilities (4)
- Technology-enhanced Classrooms (4)
- Electronic Classrooms (3)
- 27796 (2)
- Information Systems and Services (2)
- Instructional Computing Facilities (2)
- Identity and Access Management (1)
- Information Literacy (1)
- Metadata (1)
- Middleware (1)
Identity management refers to the policies, processes, and technologies that establish user identities and enforce rules about access to digital resources. In a campus setting, many information systems–such as e-mail, learning management systems, library databases, and grid computing applications–require users to authenticate themselves (typically with a username and password). An authorization process then determines which systems an authenticated user is permitted to access. With an enterprise identity management system, rather than having separate credentials for each system, a user can employ a single digital identity to access all resources to which the user is entitled. Federated identity management permits extending this approach above the enterprise level, creating a trusted authority for digital identities across multiple organizations. In a federated system, participating institutions share identity attributes based on agreed-upon standards, facilitating authentication from other members of the federation and granting appropriate access to online resources. This approach streamlines access to digital assets while protecting restricted resources. [Source: 7 Things You Should Know About Federated Identity Management]
- Toolkit for Developing an Identity and Access Management (IAM) Program, The IAM Program Outline has been created as a roadmap for institutions to use in developing an IAM program or to address gaps in their current offerings.
- 2011 ECAR Identity Management in Higher Education Report
- EDUCAUSE/InCommon Partnership: EDUCAUSE has partnered with the InCommon Federation to provide members who use our web resources, the benefits and ease of Federated Identity Management access.
- Identity & Access Management (IAM) Discussion Group: EDUCAUSE operates an open mailing list for general discussion of Identity and Access Management (IAM) topics and maintains a website with additional resources and links.
- IAM Tools & Effective Practices Wiki: This wiki provides a set of resources for IAM Architects to use in implementing a cohesive program on their respective campuses.
- IAM Online: IAM Online is a monthly series delivering interactive education on Identity and Access Management (IAM), including federated identity management essentials, advanced issues in IAM, and hot topics from the EDUCAUSE community. Experts will provide overviews, answer questions and lead discussions.
- InCommon: The InCommon Federation eliminates the need for researchers, students, and educators to maintain multiple passwords and usernames. Online service providers no longer need to maintain user accounts. Identity providers manage the levels of their users' privacy and information exchange. InCommon also offers a Certificate Service for the higher education community. InCommon also offers a Certificate Service for the higher education community, as well as a number of training and education programs such as CAMP.
- The Information Security Guide, maintained by the Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC), includes a chapter on Access Control.
- National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace (NSTIC): Resources include a July 2011 response to the Department of Commerce Notice of Inquiry for Models for a Governance Structure for NSTIC (prepared by EDUCAUSE, Internet2, and InCommon).
- Shibboleth®: The Shibboleth System is a standards based, open source software package for web single sign-on across or within organizational boundaries. It allows sites to make informed authorization decisions for individual access of protected online resources in a privacy-preserving manner.
- US Trust Federations: This community collaboration group is exploring the building of federations within and across state boundaries. Invited participants include StateNets and Higher Education Systems staff. This effort is supported by and .
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Identity and Access Management
- ERIAL Project
August 22, 2011
The Ethnographic Research in Illinois Academic Libraries (ERIAL) Project is a two-year study of the student research process. The project is funded by an LSTA grant awarded to Northeastern Ill…
- Advanced Core Technologies Initiative (ACTI) Prospectus
September 30, 2010
EDUCAUSE is launching a new program called the Advanced Core Technologies Initiative (ACTI). A primary goal of ACTI is to help higher education institutions, with varying capabilities and resour…
- Active Learning Classrooms at McGill
September 13, 2010
Active Learning Classrooms are spaces that are designed to support teaching and learning in an atmosphere conducive to engaging students actively in their own learning. McGill’s Teaching and …
- The Future of Learning Environments
July 22, 2010
In this 8-minute video, EDUCAUSE Now showcases innovative learning environments that facilitate interactivity, encourage collaboration, and bend our expectations of time and space. The video hig…
- Augsburg Course Evaluation Working Group
May 5, 2009
In the summer of 2004, a small group of Augsburg faculty and staff convened to produce a course evaluation form grounded in teaching and learning theory. A new form was created and online deliver…
- Classroom Lecture Capture
November 14, 2008
In Fall 2007, the UNC School of Medicine began to look at classroom lecture capture solutions for the first and second year curriculum. Included in this document is a project description and the …
- Designing Learning Spaces that Promote Engagement
January 1, 2006
In 2005, Estrella Mountain and two corporate partners explored more effective approaches to the traditional classroom learning environment and engaged in discussions that resulted in the unique tra…
- The Centers for Educational Technology at Emory University
January 1, 2006
The Centers for Educational Technology at Emory University are three academic computing facilities on the Emory campus designed to support and promote creative and innovative uses of technology in …
- ATLAS Center at the University of Colorado at Boulder
January 1, 2006
We are building a new building at the University of Colorado at Boulder, the ATLAS (Alliance for Technology, Learning and Society) Center, that contains many technology-enhanced learning spaces. Th…
- University of Delaware Course Evaluations
January 1, 2005
This is a project site to develop a Web-based course evaluation application for the University of Delaware. This is a project site to develop a Web-bas…