Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Identity management refers to the policies, processes, and technologies that establish user identities and enforce rules about access to digital resources. In a campus setting, many information systems–such as e-mail, learning management systems, library databases, and grid computing applications–require users to authenticate themselves (typically with a username and password). An authorization process then determines which systems an authenticated user is permitted to access. With an enterprise identity management system, rather than having separate credentials for each system, a user can employ a single digital identity to access all resources to which the user is entitled. Federated identity management permits extending this approach above the enterprise level, creating a trusted authority for digital identities across multiple organizations. In a federated system, participating institutions share identity attributes based on agreed-upon standards, facilitating authentication from other members of the federation and granting appropriate access to online resources. This approach streamlines access to digital assets while protecting restricted resources. [Source: 7 Things You Should Know About Federated Identity Management]
- Toolkit for Developing an Identity and Access Management (IAM) Program, The IAM Program Outline has been created as a roadmap for institutions to use in developing an IAM program or to address gaps in their current offerings.
- 2011 ECAR Identity Management in Higher Education Report
- EDUCAUSE/InCommon Partnership: EDUCAUSE has partnered with the InCommon Federation to provide members who use our web resources, the benefits and ease of Federated Identity Management access.
- Identity & Access Management (IAM) Discussion Group: EDUCAUSE operates an open mailing list for general discussion of Identity and Access Management (IAM) topics and maintains a website with additional resources and links.
- IAM Tools & Effective Practices Wiki: This wiki provides a set of resources for IAM Architects to use in implementing a cohesive program on their respective campuses.
- IAM Online: IAM Online is a monthly series delivering interactive education on Identity and Access Management (IAM), including federated identity management essentials, advanced issues in IAM, and hot topics from the EDUCAUSE community. Experts will provide overviews, answer questions and lead discussions.
- InCommon: The InCommon Federation eliminates the need for researchers, students, and educators to maintain multiple passwords and usernames. Online service providers no longer need to maintain user accounts. Identity providers manage the levels of their users' privacy and information exchange. InCommon also offers a Certificate Service for the higher education community. InCommon also offers a Certificate Service for the higher education community, as well as a number of training and education programs such as CAMP.
- The Information Security Guide, maintained by the Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC), includes a chapter on Access Control.
- National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace (NSTIC): Resources include a July 2011 response to the Department of Commerce Notice of Inquiry for Models for a Governance Structure for NSTIC (prepared by EDUCAUSE, Internet2, and InCommon).
- Shibboleth®: The Shibboleth System is a standards based, open source software package for web single sign-on across or within organizational boundaries. It allows sites to make informed authorization decisions for individual access of protected online resources in a privacy-preserving manner.
- US Trust Federations: This community collaboration group is exploring the building of federations within and across state boundaries. Invited participants include StateNets and Higher Education Systems staff. This effort is supported by Internet2, EDUCAUSE, and InCommon.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Identity and Access Management
- An Identity Management Program at One Year
March 15, 2011
A session at the EDUCAUSE Midwest Regional Conference 2011
At the end of 2009, UW–Milwaukee experienced both opportunities and challenges related to the institution's identity management services. These opportunities and challenges arose from new in…
- Campus Portal and E-Mail in the Cloud
June 2, 2011
A session at the EDUCAUSE Southeast Regional Conference 2011
Augusta State University recently replaced its in-house SunGard Luminis portal with myCampus from CampusEAI and its in-house e-mail system with the Microsoft Live@edu. Both are cloud-based systems …
- Centralizing and Automating the Management of Special Identities
January 12, 2011
A session at the Mid-Atlantic Regional Conference 2011
OIT's Special Identity Management System (SIMS) is designed to help automate the administration of non faculty, staff, and student accounts. Examples of the types of accounts that SIMS manages…
- Connecting InCommon Silver and Research at UW–Milwaukee
March 26, 2012
A session at the EDUCAUSE Midwest Regional Conference 2012
UW–Milwaukee is growing its research initiatives. As the initiatives grow, we recognize that federal-granting agencies are working toward a model where the services used to maintain grants employ…
- Controlling Spam and Phishing at Princeton University: A Case Study
January 16, 2013
A session at the Mid-Atlantic Regional Conference
This session will discuss how Princeton University tackled the seemingly insurmountable challenge of reducing spam and phishing in order to free up technology resources and focus on the school…
- Federated Access: Identity Management and Access to Protected Resources
June 12, 2007
A session at the EDUCAUSE Southeast Regional Conference 2007
This session will outline the advantages of organizing working partnerships and business relationships in a federated context. Topics will include InCommon, eAuthentication, and other federations. …
- Federated Identity Management: The Shibboleth Approach
March 22, 2005
A session at the EDUCAUSE Midwest Regional Conference 2005
The Shibboleth software system enables Web-based, interinstitutional resource sharing by leveraging campus identity management systems. Creating a larger trust community of collaborating institutio…
- Federated Identity: Leveraging Shibboleth to Access On- and Off-Campus Resources
January 16, 2008
A session at the EDUCAUSE Mid-Atlantic Regional Conference 2008
More and more institutions are using Shibboleth to address both their on-campus and third-party access requirements. This case study will provide information about federated identity management (sp…
- Federated Identity: Your Key to Privacy, Security, and Access to Services
January 12, 2011
A session at the Mid-Atlantic Regional Conference 2011
Access to the multitude of online information resources requires a robust identity and access management (IAM) infrastructure. A strategic focus and carefully planned approach to IAM can also incre…
- Federating Identity to Support Collaboration in the CIC
March 24, 2009
A session at the EDUCAUSE Midwest Regional Conference 2009
Member schools of CIC, the Committee on Institutional Cooperation, have joined the InCommon Federation and are federating their first application together! CICme, the CIC's online collaboratio…