Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Podcasts [x]
Identity management refers to the policies, processes, and technologies that establish user identities and enforce rules about access to digital resources. In a campus setting, many information systems–such as e-mail, learning management systems, library databases, and grid computing applications–require users to authenticate themselves (typically with a username and password). An authorization process then determines which systems an authenticated user is permitted to access. With an enterprise identity management system, rather than having separate credentials for each system, a user can employ a single digital identity to access all resources to which the user is entitled. Federated identity management permits extending this approach above the enterprise level, creating a trusted authority for digital identities across multiple organizations. In a federated system, participating institutions share identity attributes based on agreed-upon standards, facilitating authentication from other members of the federation and granting appropriate access to online resources. This approach streamlines access to digital assets while protecting restricted resources. [Source: 7 Things You Should Know About Federated Identity Management]
- Toolkit for Developing an Identity and Access Management (IAM) Program, The IAM Program Outline has been created as a roadmap for institutions to use in developing an IAM program or to address gaps in their current offerings.
- 2011 ECAR Identity Management in Higher Education Report
- EDUCAUSE/InCommon Partnership: EDUCAUSE has partnered with the InCommon Federation to provide members who use our web resources, the benefits and ease of Federated Identity Management access.
- Identity & Access Management (IAM) Discussion Group: EDUCAUSE operates an open mailing list for general discussion of Identity and Access Management (IAM) topics and maintains a website with additional resources and links.
- IAM Tools & Effective Practices Wiki: This wiki provides a set of resources for IAM Architects to use in implementing a cohesive program on their respective campuses.
- IAM Online: IAM Online is a monthly series delivering interactive education on Identity and Access Management (IAM), including federated identity management essentials, advanced issues in IAM, and hot topics from the EDUCAUSE community. Experts will provide overviews, answer questions and lead discussions.
- InCommon: The InCommon Federation eliminates the need for researchers, students, and educators to maintain multiple passwords and usernames. Online service providers no longer need to maintain user accounts. Identity providers manage the levels of their users' privacy and information exchange. InCommon also offers a Certificate Service for the higher education community. InCommon also offers a Certificate Service for the higher education community, as well as a number of training and education programs such as CAMP.
- The Information Security Guide, maintained by the Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC), includes a chapter on Access Control.
- National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace (NSTIC): Resources include a July 2011 response to the Department of Commerce Notice of Inquiry for Models for a Governance Structure for NSTIC (prepared by EDUCAUSE, Internet2, and InCommon).
- Shibboleth®: The Shibboleth System is a standards based, open source software package for web single sign-on across or within organizational boundaries. It allows sites to make informed authorization decisions for individual access of protected online resources in a privacy-preserving manner.
- US Trust Federations: This community collaboration group is exploring the building of federations within and across state boundaries. Invited participants include StateNets and Higher Education Systems staff. This effort is supported by Internet2, EDUCAUSE, and InCommon.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Identity and Access Management
- Podcast:: Security Breaches and Identity Theft
June 26, 2007
In this 55 minute podcast, we present a general session from the EDUCAUSE 2007 Policy Conference entitled, “ Security Breaches and Identity Theft ”. This is a panel discussion moderated by …
- 2007 Policy Conference: Identity Crisis
June 22, 2007
The opening keynote speech at the 2007 Educause Policy Conference was delivered by Jim Harper , Director of Information Policy Studies at the Cato Institute. Through public policy debate,…
- EDUCAUSE2006 Podcast: Establishing the Identity Management Leadership Group
March 24, 2007
In this 40-minute recording from the 2006 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, we'll hear from Joanne Berg, Ron Kraemer, and Carrie Regenstein in a session entitled Deciding Who's on First: E…
- EDUCAUSE2006 Podcast: NSF Middleware Initiative
March 24, 2007
In this 42-minute recording from the 2006 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, we'll hear from Thomas Barton and Michael Gettes in a session entitled NSF Middleware Initiative: Managing Identity on…
- EDUCAUSE2006 Podcast: Integrating Identity Life Cycles
March 2, 2007
In this 41-minute recording from the 2006 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, we'll hear from Joel Fletcher and Gregory Lozeau in a session entitled Who Are You (Today)?: Integrating Identity Life…
- EDUCAUSE2006 Podcast: The Government Discovers Identity Management
February 25, 2007
In this 47-minute recording from the 2006 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, we'll hear from Steven Worona in a session entitled Your Papers, Please: The Government Discovers Identity Management …
- E2006 Podcast:Leveraging Your Existing Campus Systems to Access Partner Resources
January 24, 2007
In this 38 minute recording from the 2006 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference Session, we’ll hear from Robert Banz, John T. Harwood, Tracy Mitrano, and Oren Sreebny in a session entitled, “Leveragin…
- An Interview with Andy Newman
December 18, 2006
In this 13 minute recording, we'll hear from Yale University's Andy Newman to gather his thoughts on a range of identity management issues. This interview is provi…
- An Interview with David Walker
December 18, 2006
In this 14 minute recording, George Brett hosts David Walker for an interview on, among other things, a range of issues related to identity management. …
- An Interview with Casey Bisson
December 16, 2006
In this 13 minute recording, we'll hear from Plymouth State University Information Architect, Casey Bisson . Listen in as he discusses a range of topics, including social software, open s…