Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Identity management refers to the policies, processes, and technologies that establish user identities and enforce rules about access to digital resources. In a campus setting, many information systems–such as e-mail, learning management systems, library databases, and grid computing applications–require users to authenticate themselves (typically with a username and password). An authorization process then determines which systems an authenticated user is permitted to access. With an enterprise identity management system, rather than having separate credentials for each system, a user can employ a single digital identity to access all resources to which the user is entitled. Federated identity management permits extending this approach above the enterprise level, creating a trusted authority for digital identities across multiple organizations. In a federated system, participating institutions share identity attributes based on agreed-upon standards, facilitating authentication from other members of the federation and granting appropriate access to online resources. This approach streamlines access to digital assets while protecting restricted resources. [Source: 7 Things You Should Know About Federated Identity Management]
- Toolkit for Developing an Identity and Access Management (IAM) Program, The IAM Program Outline has been created as a roadmap for institutions to use in developing an IAM program or to address gaps in their current offerings.
- 2011 ECAR Identity Management in Higher Education Report
- EDUCAUSE/InCommon Partnership: EDUCAUSE has partnered with the InCommon Federation to provide members who use our web resources, the benefits and ease of Federated Identity Management access.
- Identity & Access Management (IAM) Discussion Group: EDUCAUSE operates an open mailing list for general discussion of Identity and Access Management (IAM) topics and maintains a website with additional resources and links.
- IAM Tools & Effective Practices Wiki: This wiki provides a set of resources for IAM Architects to use in implementing a cohesive program on their respective campuses.
- IAM Online: IAM Online is a monthly series delivering interactive education on Identity and Access Management (IAM), including federated identity management essentials, advanced issues in IAM, and hot topics from the EDUCAUSE community. Experts will provide overviews, answer questions and lead discussions.
- InCommon: The InCommon Federation eliminates the need for researchers, students, and educators to maintain multiple passwords and usernames. Online service providers no longer need to maintain user accounts. Identity providers manage the levels of their users' privacy and information exchange. InCommon also offers a Certificate Service for the higher education community. InCommon also offers a Certificate Service for the higher education community, as well as a number of training and education programs such as CAMP.
- The Information Security Guide, maintained by the Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC), includes a chapter on Access Control.
- National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace (NSTIC): Resources include a July 2011 response to the Department of Commerce Notice of Inquiry for Models for a Governance Structure for NSTIC (prepared by EDUCAUSE, Internet2, and InCommon).
- Shibboleth®: The Shibboleth System is a standards based, open source software package for web single sign-on across or within organizational boundaries. It allows sites to make informed authorization decisions for individual access of protected online resources in a privacy-preserving manner.
- US Trust Federations: This community collaboration group is exploring the building of federations within and across state boundaries. Invited participants include StateNets and Higher Education Systems staff. This effort is supported by Internet2, EDUCAUSE, and InCommon.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Identity and Access Management
- Leadership Discussion: Identity and Access Management in Higher Education
May 29, 2013
A session at the Southeast Regional Conference
Has your campus established an enterprise strategy for identity and access management? Does your IAM architecture facilitate easy migration to the cloud? Is your IAM system standards-based and inte…
- Domain 12: Guidance for Identity & Access Management V2.1
October 5, 2010
This publication discusses the following major IAM functions that are essential for successful and effective management of identities in the cloud: Identity provisioning/deprovisioning …
- Identity Management in Higher Education 2010 Survey Questionnaire
March 23, 2010
This March 2010 survey is a critical component of the 2010 EDUCAUSE Center on Applied Research (ECAR) follow-up to its 2006 baseline study of identity management in higher education. The 2006 st…
- Account Provisioning/De-Provisioning Table
December 8, 2009
The account provisioning/de-provisioningÂ spreadsheet is one example of an institution's attribute mapping table for campus roles and services. The accompanying Word document provides a br…
- FTC's SSN Report Recommends Stronger Authentication Practices Among Other Measures
December 24, 2008
The Federal Trade Commission has issued its final report on "Security in Numbers: SSNs and ID Theft" . The report, based upon extensive fact-finding by the FTC that included a work…
- Final FERPA Rules Announced by Department of Education
December 9, 2008
The U.S. Department of Education, through its Family Policy Compliance Office , has issued its Final Rules on the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). The rules cover a variety …
- Final Report of the 2007 Cybersecurity Summit
November 30, 2007
This is the final report for the 2007 NSF Cybersecurity Summit, held February 22 & 23rd, 2007, in Arlington, VA. This is the final report fo…
- OpenID: Decentralised Single Sign-on for the Web
April 30, 2007
"OpenID is a single sign-on system for the Internet which puts people in charge. OpenID is a user-centric technology which allows a person to have control over how their Identity is both man…
- International Study of Identity Management and IT Security in Higher Education
July 9, 2007
This July 2007 survey is part of a study of identity management and information technology (IT) security in higher education sponsored by CAUDIT in Australasia, by EUNIS in Europe, and by the EDU…
- A Report on the Identity Management Summit
January 1, 2006
As part of the EDUCAUSE 2006 Program Plan, EDUCAUSE is holding several summits on topics of importance to higher education designed to bring together thought leaders and experts in the community …