Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Podcasts (28)
- Blogs (23)
- Articles, Briefs, Papers, and Reports (79)
- Blogs and Wikis (1)
- Effective Practices (2)
- Government Documents, Laws, Testimonies or Reports (1)
- Interactive Graphic and Infographics (1)
- Letters (1)
- Policies and Procedures (1)
- Presentations and Seminars (318)
- Programs and Projects (1)
- Surveys (3)
- Tools (2)
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Identity management refers to the policies, processes, and technologies that establish user identities and enforce rules about access to digital resources. In a campus setting, many information systems–such as e-mail, learning management systems, library databases, and grid computing applications–require users to authenticate themselves (typically with a username and password). An authorization process then determines which systems an authenticated user is permitted to access. With an enterprise identity management system, rather than having separate credentials for each system, a user can employ a single digital identity to access all resources to which the user is entitled. Federated identity management permits extending this approach above the enterprise level, creating a trusted authority for digital identities across multiple organizations. In a federated system, participating institutions share identity attributes based on agreed-upon standards, facilitating authentication from other members of the federation and granting appropriate access to online resources. This approach streamlines access to digital assets while protecting restricted resources. [Source: 7 Things You Should Know About Federated Identity Management]
- Toolkit for Developing an Identity and Access Management (IAM) Program, The IAM Program Outline has been created as a roadmap for institutions to use in developing an IAM program or to address gaps in their current offerings.
- 2011 ECAR Identity Management in Higher Education Report
- EDUCAUSE/InCommon Partnership: EDUCAUSE has partnered with the InCommon Federation to provide members who use our web resources, the benefits and ease of Federated Identity Management access.
- Identity & Access Management (IAM) Discussion Group: EDUCAUSE operates an open mailing list for general discussion of Identity and Access Management (IAM) topics and maintains a website with additional resources and links.
- IAM Tools & Effective Practices Wiki: This wiki provides a set of resources for IAM Architects to use in implementing a cohesive program on their respective campuses.
- IAM Online: IAM Online is a monthly series delivering interactive education on Identity and Access Management (IAM), including federated identity management essentials, advanced issues in IAM, and hot topics from the EDUCAUSE community. Experts will provide overviews, answer questions and lead discussions.
- InCommon: The InCommon Federation eliminates the need for researchers, students, and educators to maintain multiple passwords and usernames. Online service providers no longer need to maintain user accounts. Identity providers manage the levels of their users' privacy and information exchange. InCommon also offers a Certificate Service for the higher education community. InCommon also offers a Certificate Service for the higher education community, as well as a number of training and education programs such as CAMP.
- The Information Security Guide, maintained by the Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC), includes a chapter on Access Control.
- National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace (NSTIC): Resources include a July 2011 response to the Department of Commerce Notice of Inquiry for Models for a Governance Structure for NSTIC (prepared by EDUCAUSE, Internet2, and InCommon).
- Shibboleth®: The Shibboleth System is a standards based, open source software package for web single sign-on across or within organizational boundaries. It allows sites to make informed authorization decisions for individual access of protected online resources in a privacy-preserving manner.
- US Trust Federations: This community collaboration group is exploring the building of federations within and across state boundaries. Invited participants include StateNets and Higher Education Systems staff. This effort is supported by Internet2, EDUCAUSE, and InCommon.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Identity and Access Management
- Identity Theft Rules Cover Non-Profits, Including Institutions of Higher Education
October 8, 2008
New federal regulations to address identity theft go into effect November 1, 2008, and are likely to affect colleges and universities in nuanced ways. Compliance will require careful study and co…
- Indiana University and Others Announce the Creation of the Center for Applied Identity Management Research
October 7, 2008
The Center for Applied Identity Management Research (CAIMR) was unveiled today at a National Press Club event in Washington, D.C. CAIMR, hosted by Indiana University , is a coalition of c…
- International Study of Identity Management and IT Security in Higher Education
July 9, 2007
This July 2007 survey is part of a study of identity management and information technology (IT) security in higher education sponsored by CAUDIT in Australasia, by EUNIS in Europe, and by the EDU…
- Fifteenth Fed/Ed PKI Coordination Meeting
June 14, 2007
These are presentations from the Fifteenth Fed/Ed PKI Coordination Meeting, held in Washington DC, June 14 , 2007. These are presentations from t…
- Top-Ten IT Issues, 2007
January 1, 2007
© 2007 John S. Camp, Peter B. DeBlois, and the 2007 EDUCAUSE Current Issues Committee EDUCAUSE Review, vol. 42, no. 3 (May/June 2007): 12–33 John S. Camp is Chair of the 2007 EDUCAUS…
- GPN: Building a Regional Middleware Infrastructure
January 1, 2006
The Great Plains Network (GPN) is a regional consortium of public universities in seven states: Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, and South Dakota. The long-term goal …
- Current Issues Survey Report, 2007
January 1, 2007
Current Issues Current Issues Survey Report, 2007 Funding IT reemerges as the top challenge; Security and Identity/Access Management split as separate issues; Course/Learning Management Sys…
- CIC Identity Management Conference Session: Federated Identity Management and Sharing Resources
January 1, 2006
A blog posting discussing the CIC Chief Information Officers conference on Identity Management. A blog posting discussing the CIC Chief Information Off…
- Identity Management Conference Report
January 1, 2006
The Identity Management Conference was held June 5-6, 2006, in Indianapolis, Indiana. The Identity Management Conference was held June 5-6, 2006, in In…
- A Report on the Identity Management Summit
January 1, 2006
As part of the EDUCAUSE 2006 Program Plan, EDUCAUSE is holding several summits on topics of importance to higher education designed to bring together thought leaders and experts in the community …