Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Podcasts (28)
- Blogs (23)
- Articles, Briefs, Papers, and Reports (82)
- Blogs and Wikis (1)
- Effective Practices (2)
- Government Documents, Laws, Testimonies or Reports (1)
- Interactive Graphic and Infographics (1)
- Letters (1)
- Policies and Procedures (1)
- Presentations and Seminars (319)
- Programs and Projects (1)
- Surveys (3)
- Tools (2)
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Identity management refers to the policies, processes, and technologies that establish user identities and enforce rules about access to digital resources. In a campus setting, many information systems–such as e-mail, learning management systems, library databases, and grid computing applications–require users to authenticate themselves (typically with a username and password). An authorization process then determines which systems an authenticated user is permitted to access. With an enterprise identity management system, rather than having separate credentials for each system, a user can employ a single digital identity to access all resources to which the user is entitled. Federated identity management permits extending this approach above the enterprise level, creating a trusted authority for digital identities across multiple organizations. In a federated system, participating institutions share identity attributes based on agreed-upon standards, facilitating authentication from other members of the federation and granting appropriate access to online resources. This approach streamlines access to digital assets while protecting restricted resources. [Source: 7 Things You Should Know About Federated Identity Management]
- Toolkit for Developing an Identity and Access Management (IAM) Program, The IAM Program Outline has been created as a roadmap for institutions to use in developing an IAM program or to address gaps in their current offerings.
- 2011 ECAR Identity Management in Higher Education Report
- EDUCAUSE/InCommon Partnership: EDUCAUSE has partnered with the InCommon Federation to provide members who use our web resources, the benefits and ease of Federated Identity Management access.
- Identity & Access Management (IAM) Discussion Group: EDUCAUSE operates an open mailing list for general discussion of Identity and Access Management (IAM) topics and maintains a website with additional resources and links.
- IAM Tools & Effective Practices Wiki: This wiki provides a set of resources for IAM Architects to use in implementing a cohesive program on their respective campuses.
- IAM Online: IAM Online is a monthly series delivering interactive education on Identity and Access Management (IAM), including federated identity management essentials, advanced issues in IAM, and hot topics from the EDUCAUSE community. Experts will provide overviews, answer questions and lead discussions.
- InCommon: The InCommon Federation eliminates the need for researchers, students, and educators to maintain multiple passwords and usernames. Online service providers no longer need to maintain user accounts. Identity providers manage the levels of their users' privacy and information exchange. InCommon also offers a Certificate Service for the higher education community. InCommon also offers a Certificate Service for the higher education community, as well as a number of training and education programs such as CAMP.
- The Information Security Guide, maintained by the Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC), includes a chapter on Access Control.
- National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace (NSTIC): Resources include a July 2011 response to the Department of Commerce Notice of Inquiry for Models for a Governance Structure for NSTIC (prepared by EDUCAUSE, Internet2, and InCommon).
- Shibboleth®: The Shibboleth System is a standards based, open source software package for web single sign-on across or within organizational boundaries. It allows sites to make informed authorization decisions for individual access of protected online resources in a privacy-preserving manner.
- US Trust Federations: This community collaboration group is exploring the building of federations within and across state boundaries. Invited participants include StateNets and Higher Education Systems staff. This effort is supported by Internet2, EDUCAUSE, and InCommon.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Identity and Access Management
- Fed. Regs. on Student Identity Verification, State Authorization of Distance Ed. Back on the Radar
April 16, 2013
As reported in today's Inside Higher Ed , the U.S. Department of Education (ED) has announced its intent to modify the rule-making effort it originally proposed last year …
- The Wild-Card Character of "Bring Your Own": A Panel Discussion
April 1, 2013
Panelists on the front lines of higher education information technology share their thoughts on BYOD and what it could mean for colleges and universities. By R. F. "Chip"…
- An Incremental Approach to Building an Information Security Program
April 1, 2013
Key Takeaways Constraints such as tight budgets, increased responsibilities, lack of resources or incentive, and disagreement on a common approach to information security pose ch…
- NSTIC Pilots at RSA Features Internet2 Scalable Privacy Project
February 27, 2013
The following announcement from the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) concerns the pilots funded as part of the President's National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cy…
- IdM: Building Walls while Breaking Down Barriers
March 25, 2014
A session at the NERCOMP Annual Conference
Do you think implementing an institution-wide identity management program has to be painful? If so, you are wrong! Learn from two members of the University at Albany's Identity Management te…
- Preparing for Back-to-School BYOD
August 8, 2012
With the BYOD trend on campus growing ever stronger, an IT network analyst shares his checklist to help ensure that your campus network is ready to manage the onslaught. …
- Can Big Data Help Universities Tackle Security, BYOD?
July 31, 2012
Universities have some of the most complex IT infrastructures around, and BYOD is a reality they can't escape. Chief Security Officers at universities are increasingly turning to Big Data an…
- More financial aid fraud rings targeting online learning busted
September 19, 2012
As reported in Inside Higher Ed , the U.S. Department of Education (ED) Office of the Inspector General (OIG) and the U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of California announced yes…
- Building a 21st Century Digital Government
June 4, 2012
President Obama has issued a directive entitled “Building a 21 st Century Digital Government” that launches a comprehensive Digital Government Strategy. According to the directive: …
- IdM: Building Walls While Breaking Down Barriers
October 16, 2013
A session at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference 2013
Do you think implementing an institution-wide identity management program has to be painful? If so, you're wrong. Learn from some of SUNY Albany's identity management team members how IdM…