Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Podcasts [x]
Identity management refers to the policies, processes, and technologies that establish user identities and enforce rules about access to digital resources. In a campus setting, many information systems–such as e-mail, learning management systems, library databases, and grid computing applications–require users to authenticate themselves (typically with a username and password). An authorization process then determines which systems an authenticated user is permitted to access. With an enterprise identity management system, rather than having separate credentials for each system, a user can employ a single digital identity to access all resources to which the user is entitled. Federated identity management permits extending this approach above the enterprise level, creating a trusted authority for digital identities across multiple organizations. In a federated system, participating institutions share identity attributes based on agreed-upon standards, facilitating authentication from other members of the federation and granting appropriate access to online resources. This approach streamlines access to digital assets while protecting restricted resources. [Source: 7 Things You Should Know About Federated Identity Management]
- Toolkit for Developing an Identity and Access Management (IAM) Program, The IAM Program Outline has been created as a roadmap for institutions to use in developing an IAM program or to address gaps in their current offerings.
- 2011 ECAR Identity Management in Higher Education Report
- EDUCAUSE/InCommon Partnership: EDUCAUSE has partnered with the InCommon Federation to provide members who use our web resources, the benefits and ease of Federated Identity Management access.
- Identity & Access Management (IAM) Discussion Group: EDUCAUSE operates an open mailing list for general discussion of Identity and Access Management (IAM) topics and maintains a website with additional resources and links.
- IAM Tools & Effective Practices Wiki: This wiki provides a set of resources for IAM Architects to use in implementing a cohesive program on their respective campuses.
- IAM Online: IAM Online is a monthly series delivering interactive education on Identity and Access Management (IAM), including federated identity management essentials, advanced issues in IAM, and hot topics from the EDUCAUSE community. Experts will provide overviews, answer questions and lead discussions.
- InCommon: The InCommon Federation eliminates the need for researchers, students, and educators to maintain multiple passwords and usernames. Online service providers no longer need to maintain user accounts. Identity providers manage the levels of their users' privacy and information exchange. InCommon also offers a Certificate Service for the higher education community. InCommon also offers a Certificate Service for the higher education community, as well as a number of training and education programs such as CAMP.
- The Information Security Guide, maintained by the Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC), includes a chapter on Access Control.
- National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace (NSTIC): Resources include a July 2011 response to the Department of Commerce Notice of Inquiry for Models for a Governance Structure for NSTIC (prepared by EDUCAUSE, Internet2, and InCommon).
- Shibboleth®: The Shibboleth System is a standards based, open source software package for web single sign-on across or within organizational boundaries. It allows sites to make informed authorization decisions for individual access of protected online resources in a privacy-preserving manner.
- US Trust Federations: This community collaboration group is exploring the building of federations within and across state boundaries. Invited participants include StateNets and Higher Education Systems staff. This effort is supported by Internet2, EDUCAUSE, and InCommon.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Identity and Access Management
- An Interview Ted Simpson
November 3, 2006
In this 7 minute recording, the Maryland Institute of Art's Director of Administrative Systems, Ted Simpson , shares some thoughts about change management, competitive intelligence, and a…
- An Interview with Tracy Schroeder
October 26, 2006
In this 24 minute recording, we'll hear from Tracy Schroeder , Vice President for IT and CIO at the University of San Francisco. Listen in as Marliu Goodyear hosts a discussion about…
- An Interview with Miguel Angel Garcia
October 26, 2006
In this 23 minute recording, we'll hear from Marilu Goodyear sits down with Miguel Angel Garcia , Vice President of Administration & Finance at the Polytechnic University of Puert…
- An Interview with Patrick Dreher
October 19, 2006
In this 18 minute recording, Bill Hogue sits down with MIT's Patrick Dreher for a discussion about research computing, cyberinfrastructure, and open content. See also: A Ba…
- An Interview with Microsoft's Tony Hey
December 12, 2005
In this 21 minute recording, I sit down with Tony Hey, Microsoft's VP for Technical Computing. Let's listen in as he compares e-science research in the US and UK, talks about the pro…
- An Interview with Rich Kogut
October 31, 2005
In this recording, Vidya Ananthanarayanan sits down with Rich Kogut to chat about his experiences with the first American research university built in the 21st century. Learn about the chal…
- Podcast From 2005 Policy Conference on Managing Electronic Identity
April 15, 2005
Listen in on this 71 minute panel discussion about electronic identity . mpasiewicz_Managing_Electronic_Identity.mp3 …
- An Interview with MWRC Attendees about Identity Management
March 25, 2005
At the end of the preconference session on identity management, I spoke with a few attendees about their interest in the topic. Listen in to what they had to say ... Thanks to Tom Stamm …