Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Articles, Briefs, Papers, and Reports (34)
- Blogs and Wikis (1)
- Certification, Education, Training and Tutorials (1)
- Effective Practices (5)
- Government Documents, Laws, Testimonies or Reports (8)
- Plans and Guidelines (2)
- Policies and Procedures (4)
- Presentations and Seminars (13)
- Programs and Projects (1)
- Tools (3)
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Cybersecurity [x]
- Authentication (25)
- Policy and Law (21)
- Infrastructure and Emerging Technologies (18)
- Federal Policy and Law (15)
- Information Technology Management and Leadership (13)
- Middleware (11)
- Network Applications (11)
- Identity Management Policy (10)
- 30363 (7)
- Authorization (7)
- Shibboleth (7)
- Information Systems and Services (6)
Identity management refers to the policies, processes, and technologies that establish user identities and enforce rules about access to digital resources. In a campus setting, many information systems–such as e-mail, learning management systems, library databases, and grid computing applications–require users to authenticate themselves (typically with a username and password). An authorization process then determines which systems an authenticated user is permitted to access. With an enterprise identity management system, rather than having separate credentials for each system, a user can employ a single digital identity to access all resources to which the user is entitled. Federated identity management permits extending this approach above the enterprise level, creating a trusted authority for digital identities across multiple organizations. In a federated system, participating institutions share identity attributes based on agreed-upon standards, facilitating authentication from other members of the federation and granting appropriate access to online resources. This approach streamlines access to digital assets while protecting restricted resources. [Source: 7 Things You Should Know About Federated Identity Management]
- Toolkit for Developing an Identity and Access Management (IAM) Program, The IAM Program Outline has been created as a roadmap for institutions to use in developing an IAM program or to address gaps in their current offerings.
- 2011 ECAR Identity Management in Higher Education Report
- EDUCAUSE/InCommon Partnership: EDUCAUSE has partnered with the InCommon Federation to provide members who use our web resources, the benefits and ease of Federated Identity Management access.
- Identity & Access Management (IAM) Discussion Group: EDUCAUSE operates an open mailing list for general discussion of Identity and Access Management (IAM) topics and maintains a website with additional resources and links.
- IAM Tools & Effective Practices Wiki: This wiki provides a set of resources for IAM Architects to use in implementing a cohesive program on their respective campuses.
- IAM Online: IAM Online is a monthly series delivering interactive education on Identity and Access Management (IAM), including federated identity management essentials, advanced issues in IAM, and hot topics from the EDUCAUSE community. Experts will provide overviews, answer questions and lead discussions.
- InCommon: The InCommon Federation eliminates the need for researchers, students, and educators to maintain multiple passwords and usernames. Online service providers no longer need to maintain user accounts. Identity providers manage the levels of their users' privacy and information exchange. InCommon also offers a Certificate Service for the higher education community. InCommon also offers a Certificate Service for the higher education community, as well as a number of training and education programs such as CAMP.
- The Information Security Guide, maintained by the Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC), includes a chapter on Access Control.
- National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace (NSTIC): Resources include a July 2011 response to the Department of Commerce Notice of Inquiry for Models for a Governance Structure for NSTIC (prepared by EDUCAUSE, Internet2, and InCommon).
- Shibboleth®: The Shibboleth System is a standards based, open source software package for web single sign-on across or within organizational boundaries. It allows sites to make informed authorization decisions for individual access of protected online resources in a privacy-preserving manner.
- US Trust Federations: This community collaboration group is exploring the building of federations within and across state boundaries. Invited participants include StateNets and Higher Education Systems staff. This effort is supported by and .
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Identity and Access Management
- Compliance Matrix Poster for IT & Compliance Professionals
March 17, 2010
This matrix poster developed by Symantec outlines IT Controls for security and privacy concerns related to regulatory compliance in the workplace. Topics addressed in this poster include: Regu…
- Security Guidance for Critical Areas of Focus in Cloud Computing
December 18, 2009
Adopting cloud computing is a complex decision involving many factors. It is the Cloud Security Alliance hope that the guidance contained in this work will help others better understand what que…
- Account Provisioning/De-Provisioning Table
December 8, 2009
The account provisioning/de-provisioning spreadsheet is one example of an institution's attribute mapping table for campus roles and services. The accompanying Word document provides a brie…
- NIST Secure Domain Name System (DNS) Deployment Guide
February 18, 2009
This document provides deployment guidelines for securing DNS within an enterprise. Because DNS data is meant to be public, preserving the confidentiality of DNS data pertaining to publicly acces…
- Online Educators Won't Have to Spy on Students, New Rules Say
June 3, 2009
Distance educators won’t have to become FBI-style investigators, scanning fingerprints and installing cameras in the apartments of online students to ensure that people are who they say they ar…
- Evolution or revolution: The future of identity and access management for research
May 22, 2009
Identity and access management have become central issues for the future of the web following the unprecedented growth in user-generated content, collaboration and social activity. This year&…
- Digital Footprints: Online identity management and search in the age of transparency
December 16, 2007
Internet users are becoming more aware of their digital footprint; 47% have searched for information about themselves online, up from just 22% five years ago. However, few monitor their online pr…
- Final Report of the 2007 Cybersecurity Summit
November 30, 2007
This is the final report for the 2007 NSF Cybersecurity Summit, held February 22 & 23rd, 2007, in Arlington, VA. This is the final report fo…
- Five Quick Tips for Integrated ID Management
July 9, 2007
The author provides lessons from Pfizer's ID management effort. The author provides lessons from Pfizer's ID management effort. …
- OpenID: Decentralised Single Sign-on for the Web
April 30, 2007
"OpenID is a single sign-on system for the Internet which puts people in charge. OpenID is a user-centric technology which allows a person to have control over how their Identity is both man…