Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Podcasts (35)
- Blogs (32)
- Articles, Briefs, Papers, and Reports (104)
- Blogs and Wikis (1)
- Certification, Education, Training and Tutorials (1)
- Effective Practices (5)
- Government Documents, Laws, Testimonies or Reports (8)
- Interactive Graphic and Infographics (1)
- Letters (1)
- Plans and Guidelines (2)
- Policies and Procedures (4)
- Presentations and Seminars (473)
- Programs and Projects (2)
- Surveys (3)
- Tools (3)
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Cybersecurity [x]
- Authentication (231)
- Infrastructure and Emerging Technologies (173)
- Network Applications (124)
- Information Technology Management and Leadership (120)
- Middleware (119)
- Authorization (115)
- Policy and Law (111)
- Information Systems and Services (79)
- Shibboleth (74)
- Federal Policy and Law (69)
- Single Sign On (SSO) (60)
Identity management refers to the policies, processes, and technologies that establish user identities and enforce rules about access to digital resources. In a campus setting, many information systems–such as e-mail, learning management systems, library databases, and grid computing applications–require users to authenticate themselves (typically with a username and password). An authorization process then determines which systems an authenticated user is permitted to access. With an enterprise identity management system, rather than having separate credentials for each system, a user can employ a single digital identity to access all resources to which the user is entitled. Federated identity management permits extending this approach above the enterprise level, creating a trusted authority for digital identities across multiple organizations. In a federated system, participating institutions share identity attributes based on agreed-upon standards, facilitating authentication from other members of the federation and granting appropriate access to online resources. This approach streamlines access to digital assets while protecting restricted resources. [Source: 7 Things You Should Know About Federated Identity Management]
- Toolkit for Developing an Identity and Access Management (IAM) Program, The IAM Program Outline has been created as a roadmap for institutions to use in developing an IAM program or to address gaps in their current offerings.
- 2011 ECAR Identity Management in Higher Education Report
- EDUCAUSE/InCommon Partnership: EDUCAUSE has partnered with the InCommon Federation to provide members who use our web resources, the benefits and ease of Federated Identity Management access.
- Identity & Access Management (IAM) Discussion Group: EDUCAUSE operates an open mailing list for general discussion of Identity and Access Management (IAM) topics and maintains a website with additional resources and links.
- IAM Tools & Effective Practices Wiki: This wiki provides a set of resources for IAM Architects to use in implementing a cohesive program on their respective campuses.
- IAM Online: IAM Online is a monthly series delivering interactive education on Identity and Access Management (IAM), including federated identity management essentials, advanced issues in IAM, and hot topics from the EDUCAUSE community. Experts will provide overviews, answer questions and lead discussions.
- InCommon: The InCommon Federation eliminates the need for researchers, students, and educators to maintain multiple passwords and usernames. Online service providers no longer need to maintain user accounts. Identity providers manage the levels of their users' privacy and information exchange. InCommon also offers a Certificate Service for the higher education community. InCommon also offers a Certificate Service for the higher education community, as well as a number of training and education programs such as CAMP.
- The Information Security Guide, maintained by the Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC), includes a chapter on Access Control.
- National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace (NSTIC): Resources include a July 2011 response to the Department of Commerce Notice of Inquiry for Models for a Governance Structure for NSTIC (prepared by EDUCAUSE, Internet2, and InCommon).
- Shibboleth®: The Shibboleth System is a standards based, open source software package for web single sign-on across or within organizational boundaries. It allows sites to make informed authorization decisions for individual access of protected online resources in a privacy-preserving manner.
- US Trust Federations: This community collaboration group is exploring the building of federations within and across state boundaries. Invited participants include StateNets and Higher Education Systems staff. This effort is supported by and .
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Identity and Access Management
- Request for Comments on Multistakeholder Process To Develop Consumer Data Privacy Codes of Conduct
March 12, 2012
The National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) in the U.S. Department of Commerce has issued a Request for Public Comments in response to the report on consumer da…
- NSTIC to Establish a Steering Group that is Private Sector Led
February 21, 2012
The National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace (NSTIC) National Program Office has issued its “Recommendations For Establishing An Identity Ecosystem Governance Structure.” …
- NSTIC Unveils $10 Million Program for Online Identity Pilot Programs
February 6, 2012
The National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace (NSTIC) took a big step forward to gain confidence that there is more than just talk to the strategy by announcing a new Feder…
- Protecting the Security of Research Data
November 8, 2011
The effective protection and management of research data has become a hot topic in U.S. higher education. Funding agencies increasingly require data management plans as part of grant submittals…
- Student Success: Connecting Faculty, Counselors, and Students
May 30, 2013
A session at the Southeast Regional Conference
This session will show how the Student Success Plan (SSP) improves retention, academic performance, persistence, graduation rates, and time to degree. The open-source SSP case management software…
- OMB Memo Urges Government to Leverage Externally-Issued Identity Credentials
January 4, 2012
A recent memo from the Federal CIO to the CIO's of Executive Departments and Agencies is welcome news to the advocates for federated identity management. The memo with the subject line…
- FSA Fall Conference Addresses Several Policy Themes
December 13, 2011
The 2011 Federal Student Aid Fall Conference held on November 29th-December 2nd covered a variety of federal student aid policy topics, ranging from state authorization to program integrity …
- Department of Education to Rollout Two-Factor Authentication
November 30, 2011
The U.S. Department of Education Federal Student Aid technology office announced this week at the 2011 Federal Student Aid Conference its plans to issue 90,000 tokens to privileged users who…
- Response to the Department of Commerce Notice of Inquiry for Models for a Governance Structure for NSTIC (July 22, 2011)
July 22, 2011
Response to the Department of Commerce Notice of Inquiry for Models for a Governance Structure for the National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace (NSTIC). Prepared by EDUCAUSE, Inter…
- ED FSA Software Developer’s Conference Focuses on Theme of Cybersecurity
November 28, 2011
The U.S. Department of Education (ED) Federal Student Aid (FSA) Software Developers Conference kicked off today with sessions on cybersecurity, identity management, and related topics of tru…