Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Podcasts (35)
- Blogs (31)
- Articles, Briefs, Papers, and Reports (104)
- Blogs and Wikis (1)
- Certification, Education, Training and Tutorials (1)
- Effective Practices (5)
- Government Documents, Laws, Testimonies or Reports (8)
- Interactive Graphic and Infographics (1)
- Letters (1)
- Plans and Guidelines (2)
- Policies and Procedures (3)
- Presentations and Seminars (472)
- Programs and Projects (2)
- Surveys (3)
- Tools (3)
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Cybersecurity [x]
- Authentication (231)
- Infrastructure and Emerging Technologies (173)
- Network Applications (124)
- Information Technology Management and Leadership (120)
- Middleware (119)
- Authorization (115)
- Policy and Law (109)
- Information Systems and Services (79)
- Shibboleth (74)
- Federal Policy and Law (69)
- Single Sign On (SSO) (60)
Identity management refers to the policies, processes, and technologies that establish user identities and enforce rules about access to digital resources. In a campus setting, many information systems–such as e-mail, learning management systems, library databases, and grid computing applications–require users to authenticate themselves (typically with a username and password). An authorization process then determines which systems an authenticated user is permitted to access. With an enterprise identity management system, rather than having separate credentials for each system, a user can employ a single digital identity to access all resources to which the user is entitled. Federated identity management permits extending this approach above the enterprise level, creating a trusted authority for digital identities across multiple organizations. In a federated system, participating institutions share identity attributes based on agreed-upon standards, facilitating authentication from other members of the federation and granting appropriate access to online resources. This approach streamlines access to digital assets while protecting restricted resources. [Source: 7 Things You Should Know About Federated Identity Management]
- Toolkit for Developing an Identity and Access Management (IAM) Program, The IAM Program Outline has been created as a roadmap for institutions to use in developing an IAM program or to address gaps in their current offerings.
- 2011 ECAR Identity Management in Higher Education Report
- EDUCAUSE/InCommon Partnership: EDUCAUSE has partnered with the InCommon Federation to provide members who use our web resources, the benefits and ease of Federated Identity Management access.
- Identity & Access Management (IAM) Discussion Group: EDUCAUSE operates an open mailing list for general discussion of Identity and Access Management (IAM) topics and maintains a website with additional resources and links.
- IAM Tools & Effective Practices Wiki: This wiki provides a set of resources for IAM Architects to use in implementing a cohesive program on their respective campuses.
- IAM Online: IAM Online is a monthly series delivering interactive education on Identity and Access Management (IAM), including federated identity management essentials, advanced issues in IAM, and hot topics from the EDUCAUSE community. Experts will provide overviews, answer questions and lead discussions.
- InCommon: The InCommon Federation eliminates the need for researchers, students, and educators to maintain multiple passwords and usernames. Online service providers no longer need to maintain user accounts. Identity providers manage the levels of their users' privacy and information exchange. InCommon also offers a Certificate Service for the higher education community. InCommon also offers a Certificate Service for the higher education community, as well as a number of training and education programs such as CAMP.
- The Information Security Guide, maintained by the Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC), includes a chapter on Access Control.
- National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace (NSTIC): Resources include a July 2011 response to the Department of Commerce Notice of Inquiry for Models for a Governance Structure for NSTIC (prepared by EDUCAUSE, Internet2, and InCommon).
- Shibboleth®: The Shibboleth System is a standards based, open source software package for web single sign-on across or within organizational boundaries. It allows sites to make informed authorization decisions for individual access of protected online resources in a privacy-preserving manner.
- US Trust Federations: This community collaboration group is exploring the building of federations within and across state boundaries. Invited participants include StateNets and Higher Education Systems staff. This effort is supported by and .
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Identity and Access Management
- Guide to Enterprise Telework and Remote Access Security (SP 800-46 Revision 1)
June 4, 2009
Many organizations’ employees and contractors use enterprise telework technologies to perform work from external locations. Most teleworkers use remote access technologies to interface with an…
- Identity Management in Higher Education, 2011—Slide Presentation
June 1, 2011
This slide presentation illuminates findings from the ECAR 2011 research of identity management (IdM) practices in higher education . This slide deck can be adapted for presentations within…
- Who Should Get In?
June 1, 2011
Back to ECAR 2011 Identity Management Research Hub This chart reflects findings from the ECAR 2011 research of identity management (…
- Identity Management in Higher Education, 2011—Key Findings
June 1, 2011
This document presents the key findings from Identity Management in Higher Education, 2011. This ECAR research study illuminates findings from the 2010 survey of identity management (IdM) …
- Federating The University of North Carolina: Origins and Benefits
June 1, 2011
This ECAR case study of the University of North Carolina Identity Federation explores the benefits and impacts of federated identity on the university and its 17 constituent institutions . Fe…
- From Homegrown to the Cloud: Identity Management Evolution at Coppin State University
June 1, 2011
This ECAR case study offers an introductory, not highly technical, look at a SaaS identity management (IdM) solution in higher education . It traces Coppin State University’s evolution fr…
- Catch a clue from an EDU: Universities that get security right
May 20, 2011
In these days of consumer gadgets and mobile access, corporations can learn a lot from how universities deploy multiple layers of security. In th…
- Identity Management in Higher Education, 2011—Roadmap
June 1, 2011
This ECAR roadmap synthesizes the important issues and recommended actions drawn from the study Identity Management in Higher Education, 2011 , by Mark C. Sheehan and Cedric Bennett, with…
- Identity Management in Higher Education, 2011 Report
June 1, 2011
Key Findings Higher education has made substantial progress in the last five years, but many institutions are still struggling to deliver the full benefits of IdM. Institutions that report the…
- The Roads Ahead
May 31, 2011
Greg Jackson ( email@example.com ) is Vice President for Policy and Analysis, Rodney Petersen ( firstname.lastname@example.org ) is Senior Government Relations Officer and Managing Direc…