Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Podcasts (28)
- Blogs (23)
- Articles, Briefs, Papers, and Reports (87)
- Blogs and Wikis (1)
- Effective Practices (2)
- Government Documents, Laws, Testimonies or Reports (1)
- Interactive Graphic and Infographics (1)
- Letters (1)
- Policies and Procedures (1)
- Presentations and Seminars (321)
- Programs and Projects (1)
- Surveys (3)
- Tools (2)
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Identity management refers to the policies, processes, and technologies that establish user identities and enforce rules about access to digital resources. In a campus setting, many information systems–such as e-mail, learning management systems, library databases, and grid computing applications–require users to authenticate themselves (typically with a username and password). An authorization process then determines which systems an authenticated user is permitted to access. With an enterprise identity management system, rather than having separate credentials for each system, a user can employ a single digital identity to access all resources to which the user is entitled. Federated identity management permits extending this approach above the enterprise level, creating a trusted authority for digital identities across multiple organizations. In a federated system, participating institutions share identity attributes based on agreed-upon standards, facilitating authentication from other members of the federation and granting appropriate access to online resources. This approach streamlines access to digital assets while protecting restricted resources. [Source: 7 Things You Should Know About Federated Identity Management]
- Toolkit for Developing an Identity and Access Management (IAM) Program, The IAM Program Outline has been created as a roadmap for institutions to use in developing an IAM program or to address gaps in their current offerings.
- 2011 ECAR Identity Management in Higher Education Report
- EDUCAUSE/InCommon Partnership: EDUCAUSE has partnered with the InCommon Federation to provide members who use our web resources, the benefits and ease of Federated Identity Management access.
- Identity & Access Management (IAM) Discussion Group: EDUCAUSE operates an open mailing list for general discussion of Identity and Access Management (IAM) topics and maintains a website with additional resources and links.
- IAM Tools & Effective Practices Wiki: This wiki provides a set of resources for IAM Architects to use in implementing a cohesive program on their respective campuses.
- IAM Online: IAM Online is a monthly series delivering interactive education on Identity and Access Management (IAM), including federated identity management essentials, advanced issues in IAM, and hot topics from the EDUCAUSE community. Experts will provide overviews, answer questions and lead discussions.
- InCommon: The InCommon Federation eliminates the need for researchers, students, and educators to maintain multiple passwords and usernames. Online service providers no longer need to maintain user accounts. Identity providers manage the levels of their users' privacy and information exchange. InCommon also offers a Certificate Service for the higher education community. InCommon also offers a Certificate Service for the higher education community, as well as a number of training and education programs such as CAMP.
- The Information Security Guide, maintained by the Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC), includes a chapter on Access Control.
- National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace (NSTIC): Resources include a July 2011 response to the Department of Commerce Notice of Inquiry for Models for a Governance Structure for NSTIC (prepared by EDUCAUSE, Internet2, and InCommon).
- Shibboleth®: The Shibboleth System is a standards based, open source software package for web single sign-on across or within organizational boundaries. It allows sites to make informed authorization decisions for individual access of protected online resources in a privacy-preserving manner.
- US Trust Federations: This community collaboration group is exploring the building of federations within and across state boundaries. Invited participants include StateNets and Higher Education Systems staff. This effort is supported by Internet2, EDUCAUSE, and InCommon.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Identity and Access Management
- Domain 12: Guidance for Identity & Access Management V2.1
October 5, 2010
This publication discusses the following major IAM functions that are essential for successful and effective management of identities in the cloud: Identity provisioning/deprovisioning …
- Top-Ten IT Issues, 2010
June 10, 2010
© 2010 Bret L. Ingerman, Catherine Yang, and the 2010 EDUCAUSE Current Issues Committee. The text of this article is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Li…
- 2011 EDUCAUSE Enterprise Conference Proposal Deadline Extended to 1/14
January 7, 2011
Itâ€™s not too late to submit a presentation proposal for the 2011 Enterprise Information and Technology Conference , May 16â€“17 in Chicago. The presentation proposal deadline…
- Electronic Records Management: Todayâ€™s High Stakes
April 20, 2010
This ECAR research bulletin discusses the issues involved in successful electronic records management and provides guidance on how to start and sustain an electronic records management program a…
- E10 Session Podcast: How to Use Social Media, Identity Management, and the Campus Portal to Effectively Communicate with Students
December 15, 2010
This session outlines how the portal can be used to facilitate communication and collaboration between groups within the organization. The speakers give concrete examples of interaction between a…
- Google OAuth & Federated Login Research
March 18, 2010
This site contains public information from Google that is shared with open source communities working on projects in the identity space. To be notified of new posts to this site, or changes, plea…
- Business Value of Federated Login for Enterprises, Enterprise SaaS Vendors, and Consumer Websites
March 24, 2010
This presentation by Eric Sachs from Google was part of the RSA 2010 seminar, "Kantara: Technology, Policy, and Compliance for Identity Services in 2010 & Beyond". 2010 brings new o…
- Identity Assurance at Virginia Tech
March 23, 2010
In June, 2008, the Virginia Tech Board of Visitors passed a resolution on increasing administrative efficiencies through expansion of automated systems and enhanced security. The resolution charg…
- Identity Management in Higher Education 2010 Survey Questionnaire
March 23, 2010
This March 2010 survey is a critical component of the 2010 EDUCAUSE Center on Applied Research (ECAR) follow-up to its 2006 baseline study of identity management in higher education. The 2006 st…
- EDUCAUSE Now: - #31 - 1) Hosting a Virtual Event 2) IT at EDUCAUSE 2010 3) UBC's Jens Haeusser on Identity and Access Management
September 9, 2010
This month on EDUCAUSE Now :Â Hosting a web or virtual event on your campus takes more than just booking the conference room and turning on the overhead projector. Preparation and facilitat…