Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Podcasts (28)
- Blogs (23)
- Articles, Briefs, Papers, and Reports (78)
- Blogs and Wikis (1)
- Effective Practices (2)
- Government Documents, Laws, Testimonies or Reports (1)
- Interactive Graphic and Infographics (1)
- Letters (1)
- Policies and Procedures (1)
- Presentations and Seminars (318)
- Programs and Projects (1)
- Surveys (3)
- Tools (2)
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Identity management refers to the policies, processes, and technologies that establish user identities and enforce rules about access to digital resources. In a campus setting, many information systems–such as e-mail, learning management systems, library databases, and grid computing applications–require users to authenticate themselves (typically with a username and password). An authorization process then determines which systems an authenticated user is permitted to access. With an enterprise identity management system, rather than having separate credentials for each system, a user can employ a single digital identity to access all resources to which the user is entitled. Federated identity management permits extending this approach above the enterprise level, creating a trusted authority for digital identities across multiple organizations. In a federated system, participating institutions share identity attributes based on agreed-upon standards, facilitating authentication from other members of the federation and granting appropriate access to online resources. This approach streamlines access to digital assets while protecting restricted resources. [Source: 7 Things You Should Know About Federated Identity Management]
- Toolkit for Developing an Identity and Access Management (IAM) Program, The IAM Program Outline has been created as a roadmap for institutions to use in developing an IAM program or to address gaps in their current offerings.
- 2011 ECAR Identity Management in Higher Education Report
- EDUCAUSE/InCommon Partnership: EDUCAUSE has partnered with the InCommon Federation to provide members who use our web resources, the benefits and ease of Federated Identity Management access.
- Identity & Access Management (IAM) Discussion Group: EDUCAUSE operates an open mailing list for general discussion of Identity and Access Management (IAM) topics and maintains a website with additional resources and links.
- IAM Tools & Effective Practices Wiki: This wiki provides a set of resources for IAM Architects to use in implementing a cohesive program on their respective campuses.
- IAM Online: IAM Online is a monthly series delivering interactive education on Identity and Access Management (IAM), including federated identity management essentials, advanced issues in IAM, and hot topics from the EDUCAUSE community. Experts will provide overviews, answer questions and lead discussions.
- InCommon: The InCommon Federation eliminates the need for researchers, students, and educators to maintain multiple passwords and usernames. Online service providers no longer need to maintain user accounts. Identity providers manage the levels of their users' privacy and information exchange. InCommon also offers a Certificate Service for the higher education community. InCommon also offers a Certificate Service for the higher education community, as well as a number of training and education programs such as CAMP.
- The Information Security Guide, maintained by the Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC), includes a chapter on Access Control.
- National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace (NSTIC): Resources include a July 2011 response to the Department of Commerce Notice of Inquiry for Models for a Governance Structure for NSTIC (prepared by EDUCAUSE, Internet2, and InCommon).
- Shibboleth®: The Shibboleth System is a standards based, open source software package for web single sign-on across or within organizational boundaries. It allows sites to make informed authorization decisions for individual access of protected online resources in a privacy-preserving manner.
- US Trust Federations: This community collaboration group is exploring the building of federations within and across state boundaries. Invited participants include StateNets and Higher Education Systems staff. This effort is supported by Internet2, EDUCAUSE, and InCommon.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Identity and Access Management
- Spotlight On Identity Management: Engagement and Partnerships: Identity Outreach at Indiana University
July 15, 2008
Indiana University and Purdue University recently asked the Indiana General Assembly to create the Indiana Innovation Alliance. This purpose of the alliance is to expand research in the life scie…
- Spotlight On Identity Management: How Today's Registrar Demands More from Identity Management Policy and Infrastructure
June 11, 2008
Stanford University's registrar and IT strategist discuss their vision of the future of identity management in higher education. Tom Black and Bruce Vincent will give some progressive perspe…
- Spotlight On Identity Management: MCommunity to Improve IT Service Provisioning at the University of Michigan
May 19, 2008
MCommunity is a new enterprise directory and identity management system under development at the University of Michigan, a large, decentralized institution. MCommunity will provide a central infr…
- Comments of the American Council on Education on the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act
May 8, 2008
On behalf of several higher education associations, the American Council on Education submitted comments on the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act …
- Comments of the EDUCAUSE/Internet2 Computer and Network Security Task Force on the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act
May 8, 2008
Comments of the EDUCAUSE/Internet2 Computer and Network Security Task Force on the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act; Proposed Rule, Federal Register , Vol. 73, No. 57, U.S. Department…
- FTC's SSN Report Recommends Stronger Authentication Practices Among Other Measures
December 24, 2008
The Federal Trade Commission has issued its final report on "Security in Numbers: SSNs and ID Theft" . The report, based upon extensive fact-finding by the FTC that included a work…
- Final FERPA Rules Announced by Department of Education
December 9, 2008
The U.S. Department of Education, through its Family Policy Compliance Office , has issued its Final Rules on the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). The rules cover a variety …
- Top-Ten IT Issues, 2008
May 7, 2008
© 2008 Debra H. Allison, Peter B. DeBlois, and the 2008 EDUCAUSE Current Issues Committee. The text of this article is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 …
- Current Issues Survey Report, 2008
May 5, 2008
© 2008 Debra H. Allison, Peter B. DeBlois, and the EDUCAUSE Current Issues Committee. The text of this article is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-No Derivative Work…
- Spotlight On Identity Management: Penn State's Identity and Access Management Initiative
March 14, 2008
With demands for identity and access management (IAM) paralleling the explosive growth in online interactions, it is imperative that existing business systems, infrastructure, planning, and techn…