Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Podcasts [x]
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Leaders and managers who work in the higher education IT environment face challenges common to all university leaders: rapidly changing technology, shrinking budgets, policy and legislative changes, globalization, private sector competition, a changing student population, and much more. Successful IT leaders must have the talents, qualities, perspectives, and political skills to support the institution's goals and strategic directions and respond to these business drivers. In addition, they must be aware of trends in the IT field and their implications for higher education. As well as possessing excellent communication and organizational skills, effective IT leaders understand the nature of higher education, the style and context in which decisions are made, and the technology employed.
EDUCAUSE’s wealth of resources for IT leaders and managers focus on the environment in which IT leadership takes place, the planning and organizational skills needed to provide institutional leadership, and the individual characteristics required to develop and sustain a career in IT leadership. We encourage you to explore these pages to find articles, books, conference presentations, effective practices, and relevant communities to support your information needs. EDUCAUSE members contribute much of what you will find here. We invite you to submit your work to further enrich the IT management and leadership area.
Successful Leaders and IT Careers: The EDUCAUSE 2014 Award Winners (EDUCAUSE Review May/June 2015)
- Gathering No Moss: Followership and Leadership A successful leader must first know how to follow.
- Modeling Leadership All leadership models have pros and cons; successful leaders will develop their own model and their own style.
- Leading as an Intentional Journey Leadership may not start out as a destination, but for successful leaders, it becomes an intentional journey.
- Planning the IT Career You Want The wide range and scope of careers within higher education information technology requires active planning for the career that is right for you.
- Technology in Higher Education: Defining the Strategic Leader IT is simultaneously more challenging, relevant, and exciting than ever; leading IT requires unique characteristics and capabilities. But what qualities make for a successful IT leader in this environment?
Today's Higher Education IT Workforce, ECAR Study, January 2014. This ECAR research incorporates results from a comprehensive survey on more than 2,000 IT professionals as well as focus groups to provide a description of the current state of today’s IT workforce, how it has changed in the past three years, and what changes may need to be implemented to retain and strengthen IT staff.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Information Technology Management and Leadership
- Podcast: Tom Zeller on Dramatic Changes in Higher Ed IT
July 11, 2012
Tom Zeller has over 30 years of higher education IT experience. His current role as Senior Technology Analyst in the Applied Technology Laboratory at Indiana University involves projects in e…
- EDUCAUSE Now: - #34 - 1) CIOs Staying Nimble 2) Policy and Law for Higher Ed IT
December 9, 2010
This month on EDUCAUSE Now , we feature two discussions. First, we hear from three university CIOs about how they keep their organizations nimble and what keeps them up at night! We also featu…
- EDUCAUSE Now - Show #16 - Project Management, Federal Policy Changes, and Green IT Initiatives
June 11, 2009
EDUCAUSE Now is a monthly podcast, focusing on the intelligent use of information technology in higher education. Â Join hosts Gerry Bayne and Colleen Luckett for this episode which present…
- Podcast: American Higher Education Is Going Global: Implications for CIOs, National Networks, and Federal Policymakers
May 19, 2008
This 44 minute podcast features a keynote address by Jeffrey S. Lehman , Former President of Cornell University. His speech, " American Higher Education Is Going Global: Implications for…
- An Interview with Stephen Rose
October 17, 2006
In this 13 minute recording, we'll hear from Stephen Rose , the CIO of the American Council on Education . Listen in as he shares some background on ACE, background on technology issues…
- An Interview with Dennis Trinkle
October 17, 2006
In this 23 minute recording, we'll hear from Valparaiso's CIO, Dennis Trinkle . Listen in as he shares a few thoughts on his 361º Model for Transforming Teaching and Learning with …