Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Blogs [x]
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Information Technology Management and Leadership [x]
- Future of Higher Education [x]
- Institutional Management [x]
- Innovation (5)
- New Models (4)
- Higher Education Transformation (3)
- Affordability (2)
- Change Management (2)
- Leadership (2)
- Partnerships (2)
- Collaboration (1)
- Leadership Development (1)
- Professional Development (1)
- Research and Development (1)
- Research (1)
- Students (1)
- Teaching and Learning (5)
- Policy and Law (1)
Leaders and managers who work in the higher education IT environment face challenges common to all university leaders: rapidly changing technology, shrinking budgets, policy and legislative changes, globalization, private sector competition, a changing student population, and much more. Successful IT leaders must have the talents, qualities, perspectives, and political skills to support the institution's goals and strategic directions and respond to these business drivers. In addition, they must be aware of trends in the IT field and their implications for higher education. As well as possessing excellent communication and organizational skills, effective IT leaders understand the nature of higher education, the style and context in which decisions are made, and the technology employed.
EDUCAUSE’s wealth of resources for IT leaders and managers focus on the environment in which IT leadership takes place, the planning and organizational skills needed to provide institutional leadership, and the individual characteristics required to develop and sustain a career in IT leadership. We encourage you to explore these pages to find articles, books, conference presentations, effective practices, and relevant communities to support your information needs. EDUCAUSE members contribute much of what you will find here. We invite you to submit your work to further enrich the IT management and leadership area.
Successful Leaders and IT Careers: The EDUCAUSE 2015 Award Winners (EDUCAUSE Review November/December 2015)
- Embracing Differentiation and Reclaiming Audacity: An Interview with James Hilton. The multivariant pressure on higher education going forward—over the next five years and beyond—is going to be to get better at telling a story that embraces differentiation.
- On Becoming a Leader: Building Relationships and Creating Communities. The function of a leader is to lead and guide people who will follow with the same values. An effective leader thus must be able to build relationships and create communities.
- The Next-Gen IT Leader. Next-gen IT leaders will need to be purposeful about engaging various segments of their campus communities to build trust, form relationships, and engage in true collaboration.
Today's Higher Education IT Workforce, ECAR Study, January 2014. This ECAR research incorporates results from a comprehensive survey on more than 2,000 IT professionals as well as focus groups to provide a description of the current state of today’s IT workforce, how it has changed in the past three years, and what changes may need to be implemented to retain and strengthen IT staff.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Information Technology Management and Leadership
- Next Gen Finance for Higher Education
September 22, 2015
When it comes to finances, what should colleges and universities focus on? In today’s climate, what’s the right way to plan for a sustainable future? The concern over institutional…
- The Brink of Closure: What Motivates Higher Education to Change?
September 1, 2015
Author: James J. Koelbl, D.D.S., M.S., M.J. There are many articles written about the need for change in higher education. The primary options seem to be either reinvent the en…
- Hidden Advantages of the Breakthrough Models Academy
May 13, 2015
Author: Dustin Hilt, Simmons College While it isn’t hard to find plenty of background ( here , here , and here , for example) on the Breakthrough Models Academy (BMA)…
- Translating CBE Programs into Sustainable Business Models
April 6, 2015
By Rick Staisloff The Higher Education Business Model and CBE As part of its ongoing mission to improve college readiness and completion through the application of technology,…
- Preparing Students for Competency-Based Hiring
December 18, 2014
Author: Stacey Clawson, Senior Program Officer, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Transcripts have historically been the official record for what a student has learned in colle…
- Trending Now: Recent News in the Postsecondary World of Next Generation Learning
August 23, 2013
Summer – at least in theory – offers us opportunities to step back, think about the big picture, and consider some of those analyses that have been published in recent months. In that spirit …