Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Blogs [x]
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Leaders and managers who work in the higher education IT environment face challenges common to all university leaders: rapidly changing technology, shrinking budgets, policy and legislative changes, globalization, private sector competition, a changing student population, and much more. Successful IT leaders must have the talents, qualities, perspectives, and political skills to support the institution's goals and strategic directions and respond to these business drivers. In addition, they must be aware of trends in the IT field and their implications for higher education. As well as possessing excellent communication and organizational skills, effective IT leaders understand the nature of higher education, the style and context in which decisions are made, and the technology employed.
EDUCAUSE’s wealth of resources for IT leaders and managers focus on the environment in which IT leadership takes place, the planning and organizational skills needed to provide institutional leadership, and the individual characteristics required to develop and sustain a career in IT leadership. We encourage you to explore these pages to find articles, books, conference presentations, effective practices, and relevant communities to support your information needs. EDUCAUSE members contribute much of what you will find here. We invite you to submit your work to further enrich the IT management and leadership area.
Successful Leaders and IT Careers: The EDUCAUSE 2014 Award Winners (EDUCAUSE Review May/June 2015)
- Gathering No Moss: Followership and Leadership A successful leader must first know how to follow.
- Modeling Leadership All leadership models have pros and cons; successful leaders will develop their own model and their own style.
- Leading as an Intentional Journey Leadership may not start out as a destination, but for successful leaders, it becomes an intentional journey.
- Planning the IT Career You Want The wide range and scope of careers within higher education information technology requires active planning for the career that is right for you.
- Technology in Higher Education: Defining the Strategic Leader IT is simultaneously more challenging, relevant, and exciting than ever; leading IT requires unique characteristics and capabilities. But what qualities make for a successful IT leader in this environment?
Today's Higher Education IT Workforce, ECAR Study, January 2014. This ECAR research incorporates results from a comprehensive survey on more than 2,000 IT professionals as well as focus groups to provide a description of the current state of today’s IT workforce, how it has changed in the past three years, and what changes may need to be implemented to retain and strengthen IT staff.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Information Technology Management and Leadership
- The Brink of Closure: What Motivates Higher Education to Change?
September 1, 2015
Author: James J. Koelbl, D.D.S., M.S., M.J. There are many articles written about the need for change in higher education. The primary options seem to be either reinvent the en…
- Hidden Advantages of the Breakthrough Models Academy
May 13, 2015
Author: Dustin Hilt, Simmons College While it isn’t hard to find plenty of background ( here , here , and here , for example) on the Breakthrough Models Academy (BMA)…
- Translating CBE Programs into Sustainable Business Models
April 6, 2015
By Rick Staisloff The Higher Education Business Model and CBE As part of its ongoing mission to improve college readiness and completion through the application of technology,…
- Technology & Change: Perspectives on the Role of Faculty
January 27, 2015
I just got new glasses. It’s amazing what I can see now that I couldn’t see before. I begin here because I am going to advocate that all of higher ed get some new glasses. Because the way …
- Preparing Students for Competency-Based Hiring
December 18, 2014
Author: Stacey Clawson, Senior Program Officer, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Transcripts have historically been the official record for what a student has learned in colle…
- Trending Now: Recent News in the Postsecondary World of Next Generation Learning
August 23, 2013
Summer – at least in theory – offers us opportunities to step back, think about the big picture, and consider some of those analyses that have been published in recent months. In that spirit …
- Enterprise Analytics: Taking Business Intelligence in New Directions
July 27, 2012
Business intelligence (BI) is not new to enterprise IT organizations, which have long provided departments with access to production data to help run their areas. Enterprise analytics, however, t…
- The analytics journey is not for the faint of heart
July 23, 2012
We learn much from spectacular success but we learn even more from failure. Such is the case with the use of analytics in both the public and private sectors. Education is no exception. Most edu…