Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Podcasts [x]
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Leaders and managers who work in the higher education IT environment face challenges common to all university leaders: rapidly changing technology, shrinking budgets, policy and legislative changes, globalization, private sector competition, a changing student population, and much more. Successful IT leaders must have the talents, qualities, perspectives, and political skills to support the institution's goals and strategic directions and respond to these business drivers. In addition, they must be aware of trends in the IT field and their implications for higher education. As well as possessing excellent communication and organizational skills, effective IT leaders understand the nature of higher education, the style and context in which decisions are made, and the technology employed.
EDUCAUSE’s wealth of resources for IT leaders and managers focus on the environment in which IT leadership takes place, the planning and organizational skills needed to provide institutional leadership, and the individual characteristics required to develop and sustain a career in IT leadership. We encourage you to explore these pages to find articles, books, conference presentations, effective practices, and relevant communities to support your information needs. EDUCAUSE members contribute much of what you will find here. We invite you to submit your work to further enrich the IT management and leadership area.
Successful Leaders and IT Careers: The EDUCAUSE 2014 Award Winners (EDUCAUSE Review May/June 2015)
- Gathering No Moss: Followership and Leadership A successful leader must first know how to follow.
- Modeling Leadership All leadership models have pros and cons; successful leaders will develop their own model and their own style.
- Leading as an Intentional Journey Leadership may not start out as a destination, but for successful leaders, it becomes an intentional journey.
- Planning the IT Career You Want The wide range and scope of careers within higher education information technology requires active planning for the career that is right for you.
- Technology in Higher Education: Defining the Strategic Leader IT is simultaneously more challenging, relevant, and exciting than ever; leading IT requires unique characteristics and capabilities. But what qualities make for a successful IT leader in this environment?
Today's Higher Education IT Workforce, ECAR Study, January 2014. This ECAR research incorporates results from a comprehensive survey on more than 2,000 IT professionals as well as focus groups to provide a description of the current state of today’s IT workforce, how it has changed in the past three years, and what changes may need to be implemented to retain and strengthen IT staff.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Information Technology Management and Leadership
- EDU11: As Learning Goes Mobile
November 7, 2011
In this session by Lee Rainie , Director of the Pew Internet and American Life Projects, he discusses the Pew Research Center's Internet & American Life Project's latest findi…
- EDUCAUSE 2010 Preview: An Interview with Jolene Koester
September 20, 2010
Jolene Koester is President of California State University-Northridge. She will be giving a keynote address at the upcoming EDUCAUSE 2010 Annual Conference in Anaheim, California. Her spe…
- EDUCAUSE Now - #46 - Looking Back at 2011
December 8, 2011
This month EDUCAUSE Now asks, what were the big issues and trends of 2011? What will they be in 2012? Subscribe to the EDUCAUSE NOW RSS feed This episode of EDUCAUSE Now feat…
- Podcast: Tariq Al-idrissi on Directing Technology at the Northern Ontario School of Medicine
February 27, 2012
Tariq Al-idrissi is the director for tecnhology & information management support (TIMS) at the Northern Ontario School of Medicine. In this podcast interview with Beth Secrist , he tal…
- Podcast: Tom Zeller on Dramatic Changes in Higher Ed IT
July 11, 2012
Tom Zeller has over 30 years of higher education IT experience. His current role as Senior Technology Analyst in the Applied Technology Laboratory at Indiana University involves projects in e…
- Podcast: William Rankin on Mobile Learning with the iPhone and iPod
July 22, 2010
William Rankin is Associate Professor and Director of Educational Innovation at Abilene Christian University. In this interview from the EDUCAUSE 2009 Conference, Rankin discusses ACU's …
- The Future of Mobile Computing - Webinar Audio
April 25, 2011
From staying one step ahead of emerging and evolving platforms to determining the best apps for learning, few concepts dominate the conversation in higher education today like mobility. Why has t…