Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Policy and Law [x]
- Copyright Infringement (2)
- Copyright (2)
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (2)
- PCI DSS (2)
- Privacy (2)
- Campus Policy and Law (1)
- Data Classification Policies (1)
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) (1)
- E-Discovery (1)
- Fair Use (1)
- Federal Privacy Law (1)
- Intellectual Property (1)
- Technology, Education and Copyright Harmonization (TEACH) Act (1)
- Cybersecurity (3)
- Information Technology Management and Leadership (1)
Leaders and managers who work in the higher education IT environment face challenges common to all university leaders: rapidly changing technology, shrinking budgets, policy and legislative changes, globalization, private sector competition, a changing student population, and much more. Successful IT leaders must have the talents, qualities, perspectives, and political skills to support the institution's goals and strategic directions and respond to these business drivers. In addition, they must be aware of trends in the IT field and their implications for higher education. As well as possessing excellent communication and organizational skills, effective IT leaders understand the nature of higher education, the style and context in which decisions are made, and the technology employed.
EDUCAUSE’s wealth of resources for IT leaders and managers focus on the environment in which IT leadership takes place, the planning and organizational skills needed to provide institutional leadership, and the individual characteristics required to develop and sustain a career in IT leadership. We encourage you to explore these pages to find articles, books, conference presentations, effective practices, and relevant communities to support your information needs. EDUCAUSE members contribute much of what you will find here. We invite you to submit your work to further enrich the IT management and leadership area.
Successful Leaders and IT Careers: The EDUCAUSE 2014 Award Winners (EDUCAUSE Review May/June 2015)
- Gathering No Moss: Followership and Leadership A successful leader must first know how to follow.
- Modeling Leadership All leadership models have pros and cons; successful leaders will develop their own model and their own style.
- Leading as an Intentional Journey Leadership may not start out as a destination, but for successful leaders, it becomes an intentional journey.
- Planning the IT Career You Want The wide range and scope of careers within higher education information technology requires active planning for the career that is right for you.
- Technology in Higher Education: Defining the Strategic Leader IT is simultaneously more challenging, relevant, and exciting than ever; leading IT requires unique characteristics and capabilities. But what qualities make for a successful IT leader in this environment?
Today's Higher Education IT Workforce, ECAR Study, January 2014. This ECAR research incorporates results from a comprehensive survey on more than 2,000 IT professionals as well as focus groups to provide a description of the current state of today’s IT workforce, how it has changed in the past three years, and what changes may need to be implemented to retain and strengthen IT staff.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Information Technology Management and Leadership
- Academic Integrity
June 23, 2010
"Academic Integrity" is a Cornell University web site that discusses the importance of academic integrity in regards to plagiarism and cheating. It includes videos and resources on copy…
- Asset Classification
March 3, 2008
These are Asset Classification resources from the IT Security Guide wiki created by the EDUCAUSE Security Task Force and Internet2. This wiki includes resources on Accountability of Assets. …
- Request Removal From Search Engines
February 15, 2008
The web page provides links to several search engines FAQ pages on the topic of removal from a search engine cashe. Includes links to Google, Yahoo, Ask and MSN. …
- Treasury Institute For Higher Education PCI DSS Resources
July 11, 2007
The Treasury Institute's PCI DSS resources include information on future workshops, articles, best practices and a PCI blog. The Treasury In…
- PCI Security Standards Council
June 11, 2007
The PCI Security Standards Council is an open global forum for the ongoing development, enhancement, storage, dissemination and implementation of security standards for account data protection. …
- The Campus Guide to Copyright Compliance
January 1, 2005
The Campus Guide to Copyright Compliance was designed for academic institutions to help answer questions ranging from basic copyright law to the more complex topics of ILL and e-reserves. …
- Federal Rules of Civil Procedure Related to Discovery and Electronically Stored Information
January 1, 2007
A Catholic University of America web site on the summary of federal laws pertaining to "Federal Rules of Civil Procedure Related to Discovery and Electronically Stored Information". …
- Intellectual Property Online: Patent, Trademark, Copyright
January 1, 2004
A list of resources the Electronic Fontier Foundation has collected on the INDUCE Act. A list of resources the Electronic Fontier Foundation has collec…
January 1, 2004
The American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers' FERPA web site. Resources include a FERPA Online Guide and a A FERPA Final Exam. …
- Family Policy Compliance Office (FPCO)
January 1, 2004
The mission of the Family Policy Compliance Office (FPCO) is to meet the needs of the Department's primary customers--learners of all ages--by effectively implementing two laws that seek to en…