Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Teaching and Learning [x]
- E-Learning [x]
- Online Learning (3)
- Online Teaching Strategies (2)
- Blended Learning (1)
- Collaborative Technologies (1)
- Distance Education (1)
- Instructional Design (1)
- Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) (1)
- Student Engagement and Interaction (1)
- Support for Teaching and Learning (1)
- Teaching and Learning Strategic Planning (1)
- Teaching with Technology (1)
Leaders and managers who work in the higher education IT environment face challenges common to all university leaders: rapidly changing technology, shrinking budgets, policy and legislative changes, globalization, private sector competition, a changing student population, and much more. Successful IT leaders must have the talents, qualities, perspectives, and political skills to support the institution's goals and strategic directions and respond to these business drivers. In addition, they must be aware of trends in the IT field and their implications for higher education. As well as possessing excellent communication and organizational skills, effective IT leaders understand the nature of higher education, the style and context in which decisions are made, and the technology employed.
EDUCAUSE’s wealth of resources for IT leaders and managers focus on the environment in which IT leadership takes place, the planning and organizational skills needed to provide institutional leadership, and the individual characteristics required to develop and sustain a career in IT leadership. We encourage you to explore these pages to find articles, books, conference presentations, effective practices, and relevant communities to support your information needs. EDUCAUSE members contribute much of what you will find here. We invite you to submit your work to further enrich the IT management and leadership area.
Successful Leaders and IT Careers: The EDUCAUSE 2014 Award Winners (EDUCAUSE Review May/June 2015)
- Gathering No Moss: Followership and Leadership A successful leader must first know how to follow.
- Modeling Leadership All leadership models have pros and cons; successful leaders will develop their own model and their own style.
- Leading as an Intentional Journey Leadership may not start out as a destination, but for successful leaders, it becomes an intentional journey.
- Planning the IT Career You Want The wide range and scope of careers within higher education information technology requires active planning for the career that is right for you.
- Technology in Higher Education: Defining the Strategic Leader IT is simultaneously more challenging, relevant, and exciting than ever; leading IT requires unique characteristics and capabilities. But what qualities make for a successful IT leader in this environment?
Today's Higher Education IT Workforce, ECAR Study, January 2014. This ECAR research incorporates results from a comprehensive survey on more than 2,000 IT professionals as well as focus groups to provide a description of the current state of today’s IT workforce, how it has changed in the past three years, and what changes may need to be implemented to retain and strengthen IT staff.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Information Technology Management and Leadership
- The Power of Data in MOOCs
June 3, 2013
Daphne Koller, co-founder of Coursera Inc., talks about the ways in which analyzing student and instructor behavior can contribute to better learning outcomes in MOOCs. …
- 8 Lessons Learned from Teaching Online
May 6, 2013
This video list of insights comes from experts in the field of online teaching. Here is a collection of 8 lessons that might improve your online course! …
- Launching Portmont College
April 1, 2013
Srikant Vasan reveals some of the challenges and goals around starting a new online university. Srikant Vasan reveals some o…
- ERO In Conversation: Online Learning
November 1, 2012
November 1, 2012 ERO121112 …
- Video Primers in an Online Repository for e-Teaching & Learning
December 28, 2010
Instructional Consulting presents Dr. Curt Bonk, Professor in Instructional Systems Technology, Indiana University, in a video series addressing the design and best practices of Distance Educati…