Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Multimedia [x]
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Teaching and Learning [x]
- E-Learning [x]
- Online Learning (3)
- Online Teaching Strategies (2)
- Blended Learning (1)
- Collaborative Technologies (1)
- Distance Education (1)
- Instructional Design (1)
- Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) (1)
- Student Engagement and Interaction (1)
- Support for Teaching and Learning (1)
- Teaching and Learning Strategic Planning (1)
- Teaching with Technology (1)
- Information Technology Management and Leadership (1)
Leaders and managers who work in the higher education IT environment face challenges common to all university leaders: rapidly changing technology, shrinking budgets, policy and legislative changes, globalization, private sector competition, a changing student population, and much more. Successful IT leaders must have the talents, qualities, perspectives, and political skills to support the institution's goals and strategic directions and respond to these business drivers. In addition, they must be aware of trends in the IT field and their implications for higher education. As well as possessing excellent communication and organizational skills, effective IT leaders understand the nature of higher education, the style and context in which decisions are made, and the technology employed.
EDUCAUSE’s wealth of resources for IT leaders and managers focus on the environment in which IT leadership takes place, the planning and organizational skills needed to provide institutional leadership, and the individual characteristics required to develop and sustain a career in IT leadership. We encourage you to explore these pages to find articles, books, conference presentations, effective practices, and relevant communities to support your information needs. EDUCAUSE members contribute much of what you will find here. We invite you to submit your work to further enrich the IT management and leadership area.
Successful Leaders and IT Careers: The EDUCAUSE 2015 Award Winners (EDUCAUSE Review November/December 2015)
- Embracing Differentiation and Reclaiming Audacity: An Interview with James Hilton. The multivariant pressure on higher education going forward—over the next five years and beyond—is going to be to get better at telling a story that embraces differentiation.
- On Becoming a Leader: Building Relationships and Creating Communities. The function of a leader is to lead and guide people who will follow with the same values. An effective leader thus must be able to build relationships and create communities.
- The Next-Gen IT Leader. Next-gen IT leaders will need to be purposeful about engaging various segments of their campus communities to build trust, form relationships, and engage in true collaboration.
Today's Higher Education IT Workforce, ECAR Study, January 2014. This ECAR research incorporates results from a comprehensive survey on more than 2,000 IT professionals as well as focus groups to provide a description of the current state of today’s IT workforce, how it has changed in the past three years, and what changes may need to be implemented to retain and strengthen IT staff.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Information Technology Management and Leadership
- The Power of Data in MOOCs
June 3, 2013
Daphne Koller, co-founder of Coursera Inc., talks about the ways in which analyzing student and instructor behavior can contribute to better learning outcomes in MOOCs. …
- 8 Lessons Learned from Teaching Online
May 6, 2013
This video list of insights comes from experts in the field of online teaching. Here is a collection of 8 lessons that might improve your online course! …
- Launching Portmont College
April 1, 2013
Srikant Vasan reveals some of the challenges and goals around starting a new online university. Srikant Vasan reveals some o…
- ERO In Conversation: Online Learning
November 1, 2012
November 1, 2012 ERO121112 …
- Video Primers in an Online Repository for e-Teaching & Learning
December 28, 2010
Instructional Consulting presents Dr. Curt Bonk, Professor in Instructional Systems Technology, Indiana University, in a video series addressing the design and best practices of Distance Educatio…