Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Presentations
Leaders and managers who work in the higher education IT environment face challenges common to all university leaders: rapidly changing technology, shrinking budgets, policy and legislative changes, globalization, private sector competition, a changing student population, and much more. Successful IT leaders must have the talents, qualities, perspectives, and political skills to support the institution's goals and strategic directions and respond to these business drivers. In addition, they must be aware of trends in the IT field and their implications for higher education. As well as possessing excellent communication and organizational skills, effective IT leaders understand the nature of higher education, the style and context in which decisions are made, and the technology employed.
EDUCAUSE’s wealth of resources for IT leaders and managers focus on the environment in which IT leadership takes place, the planning and organizational skills needed to provide institutional leadership, and the individual characteristics required to develop and sustain a career in IT leadership. We encourage you to explore these pages to find articles, books, conference presentations, effective practices, and relevant communities to support your information needs. EDUCAUSE members contribute much of what you will find here. We invite you to submit your work to further enrich the IT management and leadership area.
Successful Leaders and IT Careers: The EDUCAUSE 2014 Award Winners (EDUCAUSE Review May/June 2015)
- Gathering No Moss: Followership and Leadership A successful leader must first know how to follow.
- Modeling Leadership All leadership models have pros and cons; successful leaders will develop their own model and their own style.
- Leading as an Intentional Journey Leadership may not start out as a destination, but for successful leaders, it becomes an intentional journey.
- Planning the IT Career You Want The wide range and scope of careers within higher education information technology requires active planning for the career that is right for you.
- Technology in Higher Education: Defining the Strategic Leader IT is simultaneously more challenging, relevant, and exciting than ever; leading IT requires unique characteristics and capabilities. But what qualities make for a successful IT leader in this environment?
Today's Higher Education IT Workforce, ECAR Study, January 2014. This ECAR research incorporates results from a comprehensive survey on more than 2,000 IT professionals as well as focus groups to provide a description of the current state of today’s IT workforce, how it has changed in the past three years, and what changes may need to be implemented to retain and strengthen IT staff.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Information Technology Management and Leadership
- EDUCAUSE Top-10 IT Issues 2013
June 3, 2013
A quick rundown of the list with comments from higher education IT leaders. A quick rundown of the list with comments from hi…
- Cloud Computing in Education
March 7, 2013
This video, produced by TeachPrivacy , discusses the benefits and risks of educational institutions using cloud computing providers. Advice is provided for how educational institutions should …
- Data Privacy Month Awareness Video, 2013
January 14, 2013
SANS and EDUCAUSE have developed a free privacy awareness video that colleges and universities can use during Data Privacy Month in January, and throughout the year, in their privacy educ…
- ERO Video Conversation: The Relationship Between Privacy and Security
January 28, 2013
Tanya Choice-Henry is the information security and privacy awareness analyst for the University of Wisconson-Milkwaukee. In this interview she discusses the relationship between privacy and secur…
- Policy Implications of Big Data and Analytics
August 13, 2012
EDUCAUSE Policy recently asked association representatives from ACE, AACC, NACUBO, AASCU, and NAICU what they think are the policy implications that arise with the increased use of big…
- Mobile Security in Higher Education Video
April 28, 2011
A variety of higher education leaders comment on mobile security in higher education. A variety of higher education leaders comment on mo…
- Team Cymru's YouTube Channel
December 7, 2009
Team Cymru has created a YouTube channel in order to share short videos (3-5 minutes each) on a variety of security topics. " The Who and Why Show " provides a weekly …
- Getting Real About Security Governance
June 26, 2007
Enterprise security governance is not just a vague idea - it can be achieved by implementing a defined, repeatable process with specific activities. For an organization that lacks a cohesive …
- Information Security Awareness Video and Poster Contest Winners
January 19, 2006
Between 2006 and 2013, the Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC) hosted an information security awareness video and poster contest. The winning videos and posters—developed by…