Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Leaders and managers who work in the higher education IT environment face challenges common to all university leaders: rapidly changing technology, shrinking budgets, policy and legislative changes, globalization, private sector competition, a changing student population, and much more. Successful IT leaders must have the talents, qualities, perspectives, and political skills to support the institution's goals and strategic directions and respond to these business drivers. In addition, they must be aware of trends in the IT field and their implications for higher education. As well as possessing excellent communication and organizational skills, effective IT leaders understand the nature of higher education, the style and context in which decisions are made, and the technology employed.
EDUCAUSE’s wealth of resources for IT leaders and managers focus on the environment in which IT leadership takes place, the planning and organizational skills needed to provide institutional leadership, and the individual characteristics required to develop and sustain a career in IT leadership. We encourage you to explore these pages to find articles, books, conference presentations, effective practices, and relevant communities to support your information needs. EDUCAUSE members contribute much of what you will find here. We invite you to submit your work to further enrich the IT management and leadership area.
Successful Leaders and IT Careers: The EDUCAUSE 2014 Award Winners (EDUCAUSE Review May/June 2015)
- Gathering No Moss: Followership and Leadership A successful leader must first know how to follow.
- Modeling Leadership All leadership models have pros and cons; successful leaders will develop their own model and their own style.
- Leading as an Intentional Journey Leadership may not start out as a destination, but for successful leaders, it becomes an intentional journey.
- Planning the IT Career You Want The wide range and scope of careers within higher education information technology requires active planning for the career that is right for you.
- Technology in Higher Education: Defining the Strategic Leader IT is simultaneously more challenging, relevant, and exciting than ever; leading IT requires unique characteristics and capabilities. But what qualities make for a successful IT leader in this environment?
Today's Higher Education IT Workforce, ECAR Study, January 2014. This ECAR research incorporates results from a comprehensive survey on more than 2,000 IT professionals as well as focus groups to provide a description of the current state of today’s IT workforce, how it has changed in the past three years, and what changes may need to be implemented to retain and strengthen IT staff.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Information Technology Management and Leadership
- Cloud Computing in Education
March 7, 2013
This video, produced by TeachPrivacy , discusses the benefits and risks of educational institutions using cloud computing providers. Advice is provided for how educational institutions should …
- Video Primers in an Online Repository for e-Teaching & Learning
December 28, 2010
Instructional Consulting presents Dr. Curt Bonk, Professor in Instructional Systems Technology, Indiana University, in a video series addressing the design and best practices of Distance Educati…
- SEI Clicker and Education Videos
February 4, 2010
These Clicker/Classroom Response System Videos were produced by the University of Colorado Science Education Initiative (CU-SEI) and the University of British Columbia Carl Wieman Science Educat…
- Sustainability at Emory: Building Community by Going Green
February 9, 2010
This video highlights Emory’s efforts to maintain more than half its campus as green space, to motivate students to reduce personal energy consumption, and to host farmers markets and create e…
- Team Cymru's YouTube Channel
December 7, 2009
Team Cymru has created a YouTube channel in order to share short videos (3-5 minutes each) on a variety of security topics. " The Who and Why Show " provides a weekly …
- Plagiarism Videos at Rugers University
September 1, 2009
Videos from the Rutgers University Libraries explaining plagiarism to students. Videos from the Rutgers University Libraries explaining plagiar…
- Ball State University's Copyright for Students
August 5, 2009
This web site includes videos on student copyrights and Plagiarism. This web site includes videos on student copyrights and Plagiarism. …
- UMass Amherst Copyright Dos and Don'ts for Students
August 31, 2009
UMass Amherst Copyright tutorial for students, " Dos and Don'ts for Students" and a presentation on file sharing, ""Copyright & File-sharing" …
- CU Student Copyright Site
August 20, 2009
Student created Video/tutorial copyright site at CU Boulder. Includes a file sharing awareness video. A link to the CU Bouder copyright policy page is also included. …
- Recession Hits College Campuses
February 10, 2009
For the high school class of 2009 and students trying to complete a degree, the financial calamities of the market have left universities and students scrambling for money. In our occasional ser…