Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Leaders and managers who work in the higher education IT environment face challenges common to all university leaders: rapidly changing technology, shrinking budgets, policy and legislative changes, globalization, private sector competition, a changing student population, and much more. Successful IT leaders must have the talents, qualities, perspectives, and political skills to support the institution's goals and strategic directions and respond to these business drivers. In addition, they must be aware of trends in the IT field and their implications for higher education. As well as possessing excellent communication and organizational skills, effective IT leaders understand the nature of higher education, the style and context in which decisions are made, and the technology employed.
EDUCAUSE’s wealth of resources for IT leaders and managers focus on the environment in which IT leadership takes place, the planning and organizational skills needed to provide institutional leadership, and the individual characteristics required to develop and sustain a career in IT leadership. We encourage you to explore these pages to find articles, books, conference presentations, effective practices, and relevant communities to support your information needs. EDUCAUSE members contribute much of what you will find here. We invite you to submit your work to further enrich the IT management and leadership area.
Successful Leaders and IT Careers: The EDUCAUSE 2015 Award Winners (EDUCAUSE Review November/December 2015)
- Embracing Differentiation and Reclaiming Audacity: An Interview with James Hilton. The multivariant pressure on higher education going forward—over the next five years and beyond—is going to be to get better at telling a story that embraces differentiation.
- On Becoming a Leader: Building Relationships and Creating Communities. The function of a leader is to lead and guide people who will follow with the same values. An effective leader thus must be able to build relationships and create communities.
- The Next-Gen IT Leader. Next-gen IT leaders will need to be purposeful about engaging various segments of their campus communities to build trust, form relationships, and engage in true collaboration.
Today's Higher Education IT Workforce, ECAR Study, January 2014. This ECAR research incorporates results from a comprehensive survey on more than 2,000 IT professionals as well as focus groups to provide a description of the current state of today’s IT workforce, how it has changed in the past three years, and what changes may need to be implemented to retain and strengthen IT staff.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Information Technology Management and Leadership
- The CIO Minute: Proactive in Creating Diversity
January 25, 2016
Positive academic experiences at a young age can make all the difference. Positive academic experiences at a young age can make all the differenc…
- Video: The Top 10 IT Issues
January 11, 2016
A quick look at the list for 2016. A quick look at the list for 2016. Ja…
- Video: The 5 R's of Trustworthiness
December 7, 2015
How important is trustworthiness in leadership? How important is trustworthiness in leadership? …
- Video: EDUCAUSE President John O'Brien
October 19, 2015
A Conversation with EDUCAUSE President and CEO John OBrien. A Conversation with EDUCAUSE President and CEO John OBrien. …
- Video: Learning Analytics in the Trenches
September 28, 2015
The Predictive Analytics Reporting (PAR) Framework was launched in 2011. In this interview, Ellen Wagner discusses key findings and insights from four years of exploring the impact of predictive …
- Badging in a Learner-Centered Context
August 3, 2015
August 3, 2015 …
- 3 Social Media Strategies
July 20, 2015
July 20, 2015 …
- The CIO Minute: Everything Depends on Professional Development
August 3, 2015
August 3, 2015 …
- The CIO Minute: We've Been Too Successful
July 6, 2015
July 6, 2015 ERO1575 …
- Brewster Kahle: Digitize Everything
June 8, 2015
June 8, 2015 …