Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Leaders and managers who work in the higher education IT environment face challenges common to all university leaders: rapidly changing technology, shrinking budgets, policy and legislative changes, globalization, private sector competition, a changing student population, and much more. Successful IT leaders must have the talents, qualities, perspectives, and political skills to support the institution's goals and strategic directions and respond to these business drivers. In addition, they must be aware of trends in the IT field and their implications for higher education. As well as possessing excellent communication and organizational skills, effective IT leaders understand the nature of higher education, the style and context in which decisions are made, and the technology employed.
EDUCAUSE’s wealth of resources for IT leaders and managers focus on the environment in which IT leadership takes place, the planning and organizational skills needed to provide institutional leadership, and the individual characteristics required to develop and sustain a career in IT leadership. We encourage you to explore these pages to find articles, books, conference presentations, effective practices, and relevant communities to support your information needs. EDUCAUSE members contribute much of what you will find here. We invite you to submit your work to further enrich the IT management and leadership area.
Successful Leaders and IT Careers: The EDUCAUSE 2015 Award Winners (EDUCAUSE Review November/December 2015)
- Embracing Differentiation and Reclaiming Audacity: An Interview with James Hilton. The multivariant pressure on higher education going forward—over the next five years and beyond—is going to be to get better at telling a story that embraces differentiation.
- On Becoming a Leader: Building Relationships and Creating Communities. The function of a leader is to lead and guide people who will follow with the same values. An effective leader thus must be able to build relationships and create communities.
- The Next-Gen IT Leader. Next-gen IT leaders will need to be purposeful about engaging various segments of their campus communities to build trust, form relationships, and engage in true collaboration.
Today's Higher Education IT Workforce, ECAR Study, January 2014. This ECAR research incorporates results from a comprehensive survey on more than 2,000 IT professionals as well as focus groups to provide a description of the current state of today’s IT workforce, how it has changed in the past three years, and what changes may need to be implemented to retain and strengthen IT staff.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Information Technology Management and Leadership
- Challenges in ERP Strategy
July 14, 2014
Higher Education IT Leaders talk about some of the challenges around administrative systems strategy. Higher Education IT Leaders talk ab…
- The CIO Minute: Ravi Ravishanker
June 30, 2014
Ravi Ravishanker, CIO for Wellesley College, talks about MOOCs post-hype. Ravi Ravishanker, CIO for Wellesley College, talks about MOO…
- Bryan Alexander: A Digital Scholarship Scenario
June 16, 2014
Hear how digital scholarship could transform publications, offering the promise of greater engagement, wider dispersion, and deeper learning. …
- MIT's Micah Altman on Digital Scholarship
June 2, 2014
Micah Altman is director of research for MIT Libraries. In this interview he discusses how digital scholarship has unbundled scholarly works. . …
- The CIO Minute: Ted Dodds
May 19, 2014
Ted Dodds, CIO for Cornell University, talks about an important sequence in becoming a true leader: aspiration followed by action. …
- Technology and Language
March 18, 2014
Gardner Campbell talks about connecting technology and language with his students. Gardner Campbell talks about connecting technology and…
- EDUCAUSE 2014 Top-Ten IT Issues
March 24, 2014
A quick look at the 2014 Top-Ten IT Issues A quick look at the 2014 Top-Ten IT Issues. …
- Video: George Strawn on Learning the "Beast"
February 24, 2014
George Strawn has had an illustrious career, most notably as CIO for the National Science Foundation. In this video he muses on his first experience with computer programming. …
- The CIO Minute: Larry Conrad
February 24, 2014
Conrad suggests that as a CIO, he’s actually in the marketing business. Conrad suggests that as a CIO, he’s actually in the marke…
- Brad Wheeler: The Path to Scale
January 27, 2014
CIO for Indiana University and EDUCAUSE Award Winner Brad Wheeler says that universities need to embrace digital interdependence. CIO for…