Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Leaders and managers who work in the higher education IT environment face challenges common to all university leaders: rapidly changing technology, shrinking budgets, policy and legislative changes, globalization, private sector competition, a changing student population, and much more. Successful IT leaders must have the talents, qualities, perspectives, and political skills to support the institution's goals and strategic directions and respond to these business drivers. In addition, they must be aware of trends in the IT field and their implications for higher education. As well as possessing excellent communication and organizational skills, effective IT leaders understand the nature of higher education, the style and context in which decisions are made, and the technology employed.
EDUCAUSE’s wealth of resources for IT leaders and managers focus on the environment in which IT leadership takes place, the planning and organizational skills needed to provide institutional leadership, and the individual characteristics required to develop and sustain a career in IT leadership. We encourage you to explore these pages to find articles, books, conference presentations, effective practices, and relevant communities to support your information needs. EDUCAUSE members contribute much of what you will find here. We invite you to submit your work to further enrich the IT management and leadership area.
Successful Leaders and IT Careers: The EDUCAUSE 2014 Award Winners (EDUCAUSE Review May/June 2015)
- Gathering No Moss: Followership and Leadership A successful leader must first know how to follow.
- Modeling Leadership All leadership models have pros and cons; successful leaders will develop their own model and their own style.
- Leading as an Intentional Journey Leadership may not start out as a destination, but for successful leaders, it becomes an intentional journey.
- Planning the IT Career You Want The wide range and scope of careers within higher education information technology requires active planning for the career that is right for you.
- Technology in Higher Education: Defining the Strategic Leader IT is simultaneously more challenging, relevant, and exciting than ever; leading IT requires unique characteristics and capabilities. But what qualities make for a successful IT leader in this environment?
Today's Higher Education IT Workforce, ECAR Study, January 2014. This ECAR research incorporates results from a comprehensive survey on more than 2,000 IT professionals as well as focus groups to provide a description of the current state of today’s IT workforce, how it has changed in the past three years, and what changes may need to be implemented to retain and strengthen IT staff.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Information Technology Management and Leadership
- IT Compliance Framework for Higher Education
December 6, 2013
Key Takeaways Implementation of a university-wide IT compliance framework can prevent redundant effort and provide a way to benchmark IT compliance efforts against regulato…
- Meeting Students Where They Are: Profiles of Students in Competency-Based Degree Programs
November 7, 2013
This Center for American Progress report catalogues stories of average Americans—some who went to college directly after high school, some who are returning to postsecondary education after man…
- Higher Education IT Compliance through the Prism of Risk Controls
December 6, 2013
Only through collaborative compliance and risk discussions can appropriate decisions be made about both the everyday activities and the transformative new technologies that are or will be avai…
- Starting the Conversation: University-wide Research Data Management Policy
December 6, 2013
This article represents a call for action to address the high-level benefits of adopting a university-wide policy regarding research data management. An institution should identify all the sta…
- ECAR Study of Undergraduate Students and Information Technology, 2013
September 16, 2013
Key Findings See the 2013 report for a full list of key messages, findings, and supporting data. Students recognize the value of technology but still need guidance when it comes to b…
- Higher Education: New Models, New Rules
October 7, 2013
What are the new rules that will accompany future new models in higher education? Three essays address this question by exploring state higher education policy, accreditation for non-instituti…
- MOOCsâ€”Key Legal and Policy Issues for Colleges and Universities
July 25, 2013
The National Association of College and University Attorneys (NACUA), ACE, and EDUCAUAUSE held a webinar on July 25th, 2013 on the key legal and policy issues regarding massive open online course…
- Learning While Doing: Two Institutionsâ€™ Practical IT Risk Management Experiences
July 29, 2013
IT risk management identifies, assesses, and responds to IT risks. Effective IT risk management examines issues such as institutional use of data , IT security measures to prevent or…
- Trending Now: Recent News in the Postsecondary World of Next Generation Learning
August 23, 2013
Summer – at least in theory – offers us opportunities to step back, think about the big picture, and consider some of those analyses that have been published in recent months. In that spirit …
- Direct2Degree: College One Course at a Time
August 5, 2013
Key Takeaways In its existing program , the Kentucky Community and Technical College System offers students enhanced schedule flexibility and modular courses that they can s…