Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Podcasts (1193)
- Blogs (1174)
- Agreements or Contracts (15)
- Articles, Briefs, Papers, and Reports (6817)
- Bibliography (10)
- Blogs and Wikis (62)
- Books and Monographs (91)
- Certification, Education, Training and Tutorials (43)
- Effective Practices (62)
- Government Documents, Laws, Testimonies or Reports (117)
- Interactive Graphic and Infographics (17)
- Letters (23)
- Plans and Guidelines (100)
- Policies and Procedures (396)
- Presentations and Seminars (9480)
- Programs and Projects (49)
- RFPs (13)
- Surveys (74)
- Tools (46)
- Vendors (4)
- Videos (89)
- Web Sites (48)
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Leaders and managers who work in the higher education IT environment face challenges common to all university leaders: rapidly changing technology, shrinking budgets, policy and legislative changes, globalization, private sector competition, a changing student population, and much more. Successful IT leaders must have the talents, qualities, perspectives, and political skills to support the institution's goals and strategic directions and respond to these business drivers. In addition, they must be aware of trends in the IT field and their implications for higher education. As well as possessing excellent communication and organizational skills, effective IT leaders understand the nature of higher education, the style and context in which decisions are made, and the technology employed.
EDUCAUSE’s wealth of resources for IT leaders and managers focus on the environment in which IT leadership takes place, the planning and organizational skills needed to provide institutional leadership, and the individual characteristics required to develop and sustain a career in IT leadership. We encourage you to explore these pages to find articles, books, conference presentations, effective practices, and relevant communities to support your information needs. EDUCAUSE members contribute much of what you will find here. We invite you to submit your work to further enrich the IT management and leadership area.
Successful Leaders and IT Careers: The EDUCAUSE 2014 Award Winners (EDUCAUSE Review May/June 2015)
- Gathering No Moss: Followership and Leadership A successful leader must first know how to follow.
- Modeling Leadership All leadership models have pros and cons; successful leaders will develop their own model and their own style.
- Leading as an Intentional Journey Leadership may not start out as a destination, but for successful leaders, it becomes an intentional journey.
- Planning the IT Career You Want The wide range and scope of careers within higher education information technology requires active planning for the career that is right for you.
- Technology in Higher Education: Defining the Strategic Leader IT is simultaneously more challenging, relevant, and exciting than ever; leading IT requires unique characteristics and capabilities. But what qualities make for a successful IT leader in this environment?
Today's Higher Education IT Workforce, ECAR Study, January 2014. This ECAR research incorporates results from a comprehensive survey on more than 2,000 IT professionals as well as focus groups to provide a description of the current state of today’s IT workforce, how it has changed in the past three years, and what changes may need to be implemented to retain and strengthen IT staff.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Information Technology Management and Leadership
- 3 Social Media Strategies
July 20, 2015
July 20, 2015 …
- The 2014 Enterprise Application Market in Higher Education
July 20, 2015
The 2014 Enterprise Application Market reports from the EDUCAUSE Center for Analysis and Research use data from the EDUCAUSE Core Data Service (CDS) to better understand how higher education inst…
- Senate ESEA Amendment Calls for Student Privacy Commission
July 21, 2015
Summary: (July 21, 2015) The Senate recently passed its Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) reauthorization bill, the Every Child Achieves Act. It includes an amendment calling for the …
- Student and Faculty Perceptions of Telepresence Courses
July 20, 2015
Key Takeaways To deliver a high-quality learning experience to remote learning sites , Minnesota State University, Mankato, invested in telepresence-enhanced classrooms and then…
- Big Data
Big Data True What is “big data”? Who’s doing it? W…
Clickers True Articles, Briefs and Reports GoSoapBox…
- From Information Management to Experience Fulfillment
July 17, 2015
Ron Kraemer ( email@example.com ) is Chief Information and Digital Officer at the University of Notre Dame. Have you thought lately about what you do for a living? Not what your job title is o…
E-Learning True Online learning environments—on campus …
- Non-Distance Ed. State Authorization Regs. Still Impact Distance Ed.
July 14, 2015
Summary: U.S. Department of Education (ED) regulations governing the state authorization that institutions have to have to participate in federal student aid programs took effect on July 1, 2015.…
- The Importance of Mastery and Working Smart
July 8, 2015
Jack Suess is Vice President of IT and CIO at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC). This is the second in my blog post series building on Richard St. John's TED Talk &quo…