Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Information Technology Management and Leadership [x]
- Portfolio and Project Management [x]
- IT Governance (28)
- IT Strategic Planning (23)
- Leadership (20)
- Planning (17)
- Change Management (15)
- Communications (11)
- IT Support Services (11)
- Business Process Reengineering (10)
- Collaboration (10)
- Strategic Planning (10)
- IT Funding (8)
- IT Workforce Development (8)
- Partnerships (7)
- Information Systems and Services (33)
- Teaching and Learning (22)
- Infrastructure and Emerging Technologies (11)
EDUCAUSE IT Governance, Risk, and Compliance Program
Governance, risk, and compliance (GRC) issues increasingly pervade higher education information technology. As institutional investment in IT and reliance on information systems have grown, so has the need for reliable structures and measures to ensure success and minimize failure.
IT GRC programs develop a framework for the leadership, organization, and operation of an institution's IT programs. This framework can be used by IT staff to ensure that their programs support and enable the institution's strategic objectives. The EDUCAUSE IT GRC program provides resources that help you define and implement IT GRC activities on your own campus.
A member advisory board, member working groups, and representatives from complementary organizations advise EDUCAUSE in the development of best practices, toolkits, and case studies. EDUCAUSE-conducted research will benchmark how higher education institutions are currently approaching IT GRC practices. New resources will be added to this page as they are developed.
To learn more or to contribute to the higher education IT GRC body of knowledge, contact us at GRC@educause.edu
- IT Governance, Risk, and Compliance in Higher Education, ECAR Research Study, June 2014. This study benchmarks how higher education institutions are approaching IT GRC practices. (ECAR Subscription Required)
- The Foundations of a High-Performance ITS Organization, EDUCAUSE Live! May 2014. This webinar explores how to develop a framework for an IT strategic planning process and implement it, how to design a governance structure for Project Portfolio Management and implement a PPM model, and how to implement a process to craft vision and mission statements for the organization.
- Supporting Information Governance through Records and Information Management, ECAR Research Bulletin, April 2014. This research bulletin explains how information governance is at the core of a RIM program and how IT interests in information governance can be better supported by having a RIM program.
- Governance, Risk, and Compliance: Why Now? EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013. Governance, risk, and compliance (GRC) programs intend to develop a framework for the leadership, organization, and operation of the institution's IT areas to ensure that those areas support and enable the institution's strategic objectives.
- Speaking the Same Language: Building a Data Governance Program for Institutional Impact, EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013.
- Starting the Conversation: University-wide Research Data Management Policy, EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013.
- Boston University Information Services and Technology Governance Model, October 10, 2013,
- Making the Case for the Information Strategy, ECAR Bulletin. September 6, 2011.
- Leading the Higher Education IT Organization: Six Building Blocks of Success, EDUCAUSE Review, May 31, 2011.
- Making IT Governance Work, ECAR Bulletin, October 5, 2010.
- Decentralized IT Governance and Policy in Higher Education, ECAR Research Bulletin, March 10, 2009.
- Process and Politics: IT Governance in Higher Education, ECAR Research Report, July 21, 2008.
- Queensland University of Technology: Three Generations of IT Governance (and Counting), ECAR Case Study, July 25, 2008.
- Reforming IT Governance at Berkeley: Introducing an Enterprise Perspective to a Decentralized Organization, ECAR Case Study, July 25, 2008
- From 2004-2012 IT governance was in various positions of the EDUCAUSE top ten issues, http://www.educause.edu/educause/visualizations/vis1/index.html
- Developing A Comprehensive Privacy Program: A Step-By-Step Guide, Daniel Solove, NACUA. December 2013
- Leveraging Enterprise Risk Management: Opportunity for Greater Relevance, EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013. Even though enterprise risk management (ERM) engages the entire higher education institution, IT organizations have an opportunity to use ERM to move beyond a services function toward providing strategic value to the institution.
- Learning While Doing: Two Institutions’ Practical IT Risk Management Experiences, ECAR Research Bulletin, July 29, 2013.
- Top-10 IT Issues, Policy Implications, and Managing Risk, EDUCAUSE Blog, June 24, 2013.
- IT Risk Management: Try This Exercise at Your Institution, EDUCAUSE Review Online, June 30, 2013.
- IT Risk Management Poll Results, April 2013.
- Managing IT Risk in Higher Education: A Methodology, ECAR Research Bulletin, March 18, 2008.
For additional resources see the library Items tab on the "Risk Management" page
- New Year, New Challenges: Preparing Your Campus for Data Privacy and Security Issues in the Year Ahead, EDUCAUSE/NACUA Webinar. December 2013.
- Higher Education IT Compliance through the Prism of Risk Controls,EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013. Only through collaborative compliance and risk discussions can appropriate decisions be made about both the everyday activities and the transformative new technologies that are or will be available to the higher education institution of 2020.
- Higher Education Information Security Council, Information Security Guide, Compliance Chapter, EDUCAUSE/Internet2
- Privacy, Security, and Compliance: Strange Bedfellows, or a Marriage Made in Heaven?, EDUCAUSE Review, January 28, 2013.
- The Policy Process Life Cycle, EDUCAUSE Review, March 20, 2009.
- Higher Education Compliance Alliance, was created by the National Association of College and University Attorneys (NACUA), in partnership with thirty other higher education associations, to provide the higher education community with a centralized repository of information and resources for compliance with federal laws and regulations.
For additional resources see the library Items tab on the "Compliance" page
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for IT Governance
- CIOs and Campus IT: Summer Technology Projects, by Theresa Rowe
August 6, 2014
Theresa Rowe is CIO at Oakland University. Summer is a busy and exciting time for advancement of new tech initiatives and tech renewal projects. Campus CIOs generally expect to handle …
- Change Literacy in Higher Education
July 28, 2014
Key Takeaways Encouraging literacy about change management — change literacy — will help varied campus constituencies deal with ongoing change by developing their …
- Aligning to Purpose
May 19, 2014
Niel Nickolaisen is Chief Technology Officer at O.C. Tanner Co., former Chief Information Officer at Western Governors University, and co-author of The Agile Culture: Leading through Tr…
- A Model for Project Prioritization in Higher Education Information Technology
February 24, 2014
Key Takeaways Organizations that achieve higher maturity in IT project portfolio management consistently show both increased performance and tighter alignment between IT and …
- Project Management: The Challenge of Ethical Communications
November 21, 2013
This podcast features a session from the EDUCAUSE 2013 Annual Meeting. Speakers include: Paula Brossard, IT infrastructure project manager, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Wendy …
- The Foundations of a High-Performance ITS Organization
May 28, 2014
A session at the EDUCAUSE LIVE! - The Foundations of a High-Performance ITS Organization
With a rapidly changing environment, ever-increasing demands for resources, and the need for greater agility and transparency, IT organizations must have the right structures in place to ensure s…
- Breaking Down Project Management
April 30, 2014
A session at the EDUCAUSE Connect: Baltimore
IT departments across higher education are constantly asked to maintain the status quo while the IT budget continues to shrink. Any new project, including major upgrades and system replacements, …
- GROCS: Longitudinal Impacts of Student-Initiated, Interdisciplinary, Collaborative Projects
September 4, 2013
Key Takeaways The University of Michigan's " Grants Opportunities [Collaborative Spaces]" (GROCS) program was designed to foster interdisciplinary collaboration t…
- ITSM + PPM: Evolution in Higher Education IT Management
May 1, 2014
A session at the EDUCAUSE Connect: Baltimore
Both IT Service Management (ITSM) and Project and Portfolio Management (PPM) are critical to the holistic success of higher education information technology. As the lines between these two discip…
- The Times They Are a-Changin': A Case Study in Change Management at Saint Anselm College
March 25, 2014
A session at the NERCOMP Annual Conference
Saint Anselm College recently implemented a time-reporting application for salaried (exempt) employees, which addressed several institutional needs. A compressed implementation timetable and pote…