Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
EDUCAUSE IT Governance, Risk, and Compliance Program
Governance, risk, and compliance (GRC) issues increasingly pervade higher education information technology. As institutional investment in IT and reliance on information systems have grown, so has the need for reliable structures and measures to ensure success and minimize failure.
IT GRC programs develop a framework for the leadership, organization, and operation of an institution's IT programs. This framework can be used by IT staff to ensure that their programs support and enable the institution's strategic objectives. The EDUCAUSE IT GRC program provides resources that help you define and implement IT GRC activities on your own campus.
A member advisory board, member working groups, and representatives from complementary organizations advise EDUCAUSE in the development of best practices, toolkits, and case studies. EDUCAUSE-conducted research will benchmark how higher education institutions are currently approaching IT GRC practices. New resources will be added to this page as they are developed.
To learn more or to contribute to the higher education IT GRC body of knowledge, contact us at GRC@educause.edu
- Questions about IT Governance, Risk, and Compliance Answered, EDUCAUSE Review, October 27, 2014. To offer insights into the difficulties and opportunities inherent in IT GRC programs in higher education, the author asked members of the advisory committee to tackle some key questions for EDUCAUSE readers.
- IT Governance, Risk, and Compliance in Higher Education, ECAR Research Study, June 2014. This study benchmarks how higher education institutions are approaching IT GRC practice.
- The Foundations of a High-Performance ITS Organization, EDUCAUSE Live! May 2014. This webinar explores how to develop a framework for an IT strategic planning process and implement it, how to design a governance structure for Project Portfolio Management and implement a PPM model, and how to implement a process to craft vision and mission statements for the organization.
- Supporting Information Governance through Records and Information Management, ECAR Research Bulletin, April 2014. This research bulletin explains how information governance is at the core of a RIM program and how IT interests in information governance can be better supported by having a RIM program.
- Governance, Risk, and Compliance: Why Now? EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013. Governance, risk, and compliance (GRC) programs intend to develop a framework for the leadership, organization, and operation of the institution's IT areas to ensure that those areas support and enable the institution's strategic objectives.
- Speaking the Same Language: Building a Data Governance Program for Institutional Impact, EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013.
- Starting the Conversation: University-wide Research Data Management Policy, EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013.
- Boston University Information Services and Technology Governance Model, October 10, 2013,
- Making the Case for the Information Strategy, ECAR Bulletin. September 6, 2011.
- Leading the Higher Education IT Organization: Six Building Blocks of Success, EDUCAUSE Review, May 31, 2011.
- Making IT Governance Work, ECAR Bulletin, October 5, 2010.
- Decentralized IT Governance and Policy in Higher Education, ECAR Research Bulletin, March 10, 2009.
- Process and Politics: IT Governance in Higher Education, ECAR Research Report, July 21, 2008.
- Queensland University of Technology: Three Generations of IT Governance (and Counting), ECAR Case Study, July 25, 2008.
- Reforming IT Governance at Berkeley: Introducing an Enterprise Perspective to a Decentralized Organization, ECAR Case Study, July 25, 2008
- From 2004-2012 IT governance was in various positions of the EDUCAUSE top ten issues, http://www.educause.edu/educause/visualizations/vis1/index.html
- Developing A Comprehensive Privacy Program: A Step-By-Step Guide, Daniel Solove, NACUA. December 2013
- Leveraging Enterprise Risk Management: Opportunity for Greater Relevance, EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013. Even though enterprise risk management (ERM) engages the entire higher education institution, IT organizations have an opportunity to use ERM to move beyond a services function toward providing strategic value to the institution.
- Learning While Doing: Two Institutions’ Practical IT Risk Management Experiences, ECAR Research Bulletin, July 29, 2013.
- Top-10 IT Issues, Policy Implications, and Managing Risk, EDUCAUSE Blog, June 24, 2013.
- IT Risk Management: Try This Exercise at Your Institution, EDUCAUSE Review Online, June 30, 2013.
- IT Risk Management Poll Results, April 2013.
- Managing IT Risk in Higher Education: A Methodology, ECAR Research Bulletin, March 18, 2008.
For additional resources see the library Items tab on the "Risk Management" page
- New Year, New Challenges: Preparing Your Campus for Data Privacy and Security Issues in the Year Ahead, EDUCAUSE/NACUA Webinar. December 2013.
- Higher Education IT Compliance through the Prism of Risk Controls,EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013. Only through collaborative compliance and risk discussions can appropriate decisions be made about both the everyday activities and the transformative new technologies that are or will be available to the higher education institution of 2020.
- Higher Education Information Security Council, Information Security Guide, Compliance Chapter, EDUCAUSE/Internet2
- Privacy, Security, and Compliance: Strange Bedfellows, or a Marriage Made in Heaven?, EDUCAUSE Review, January 28, 2013.
- The Policy Process Life Cycle, EDUCAUSE Review, March 20, 2009.
- Higher Education Compliance Alliance, was created by the National Association of College and University Attorneys (NACUA), in partnership with thirty other higher education associations, to provide the higher education community with a centralized repository of information and resources for compliance with federal laws and regulations.
For additional resources see the library Items tab on the "Compliance" page
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for IT Governance
- A Model for Project Prioritization in Higher Education Information Technology
February 24, 2014
Key Takeaways Organizations that achieve higher maturity in IT project portfolio management consistently show both increased performance and tighter alignment between IT and …
- A New IT Framework to Enable Effective Change
March 30, 2011
A session at the NERCOMP Annual Conference 2011
In a single year, the UNB Integrated Technology Services unit, responsible for delivering IT services and resources across the enterprise, has reinvented itself through thoughtful but rapid adoptio…
- A Policy-Based Approach to Technology Systems
May 5, 2008
Â© 2008 Simmons College EDUCAUSE Quarterly , vol. 31, no. 2 (April–June, 2008) Good Ideas A Policy-Based Approach to Technology Systems Appropriate policies and protocols can c…
- Agile Project Management and IT Governance: Moving to Enterprise 2.0
January 9, 2009
A session at the EDUCAUSE Mid-Atlantic Regional Conference 2009
Originally developed as a software development framework, agile project management (APM) is now being implemented for not only for IT project management and governance but also throughout the agile…
- Building Campus Buy-In During Times of Change: New Products, New Processes, and New Policies
October 2, 2014
A session at the EDUCAUSE Annual Virtual Conference 2014
Why would campus need stakeholder input when purchasing new IT systems? Clients don't really know what they need, right? The truth is, they do. Learn how Pittsburg State University builds bu…
- Building Collaborative Administrative Systems Governance
May 17, 2005
A session at the CUMREC 2005
In the past several years, Princeton University has adopted and refined a collaborative process for identifying, structuring, prioritizing, and scheduling all of our administrative systems projects…
- Common Enterprise Applications for the University of Wisconsin System
June 24, 2011
Key Takeaways System-wide governance , a project management office, a 10-year roadmap , and a rigorous budget process have been critical to the success of common enterpr…
- Engaging Executives in Technology Portfolios
October 25, 2007
A session at the EDUCAUSE 2007 Annual Conference
At EDUCAUSE 2003, ACU presented a session dealing with the difficulties of implementing a programming prioritization process and the benefits of doing so. Since that time, we have continued to kee…
- Finding Your "Secret Sauce" for Strategy, Governance, and Portfolio Management
October 13, 2010
A session at the EDUCAUSE 2010 Annual Conference
Many organizations experience a struggle when trying to align adoption and use of information technology with the strategic mission and objectives of the organization. Presenters from four universi…
- Implementing an ERP on Time and on Budget: An Innovative, Inclusive Approach
May 19, 2009
This ECAR research bulletin provides an innovative and practical approach to implementing an institution-wide enterprise resource planning (ERP) both on time and on budget. It describes the princ…