Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Presentations and Seminars [x]
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
EDUCAUSE IT Governance, Risk, and Compliance Program
Governance, risk, and compliance (GRC) issues increasingly pervade higher education information technology. As institutional investment in IT and reliance on information systems have grown, so has the need for reliable structures and measures to ensure success and minimize failure.
IT GRC programs develop a framework for the leadership, organization, and operation of an institution's IT programs. This framework can be used by IT staff to ensure that their programs support and enable the institution's strategic objectives. The EDUCAUSE IT GRC program provides resources that help you define and implement IT GRC activities on your own campus.
A member advisory board, member working groups, and representatives from complementary organizations advise EDUCAUSE in the development of best practices, toolkits, and case studies. EDUCAUSE-conducted research will benchmark how higher education institutions are currently approaching IT GRC practices. New resources will be added to this page as they are developed.
To learn more or to contribute to the higher education IT GRC body of knowledge, contact us at GRC@educause.edu
- Governance, Risk, and Compliance: Why Now? EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013. Governance, risk, and compliance (GRC) programs intend to develop a framework for the leadership, organization, and operation of the institution's IT areas to ensure that those areas support and enable the institution's strategic objectives.
- Speaking the Same Language: Building a Data Governance Program for Institutional Impact, EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013.
- Starting the Conversation: University-wide Research Data Management Policy, EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013.
- Boston University Information Services and Technology Governance Model, October 10, 2013,
- Making the Case for the Information Strategy, ECAR Bulletin. September 6, 2011.
- Leading the Higher Education IT Organization: Six Building Blocks of Success, EDUCAUSE Review, May 31, 2011.
- Making IT Governance Work, ECAR Bulletin, October 5, 2010.
- Decentralized IT Governance and Policy in Higher Education, ECAR Research Bulletin, March 10, 2009.
- Process and Politics: IT Governance in Higher Education, ECAR Research Report, July 21, 2008.
- Queensland University of Technology: Three Generations of IT Governance (and Counting), ECAR Case Study, July 25, 2008.
- Reforming IT Governance at Berkeley: Introducing an Enterprise Perspective to a Decentralized Organization, ECAR Case Study, July 25, 2008
- From 2004-2012 IT governance was in various positions of the EDUCAUSE top ten issues, http://www.educause.edu/educause/visualizations/vis1/index.html
- Leveraging Enterprise Risk Management: Opportunity for Greater Relevance, EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013. Even though enterprise risk management (ERM) engages the entire higher education institution, IT organizations have an opportunity to use ERM to move beyond a services function toward providing strategic value to the institution.
- Learning While Doing: Two Institutions’ Practical IT Risk Management Experiences, ECAR Research Bulletin, July 29, 2013.
- Top-10 IT Issues, Policy Implications, and Managing Risk, EDUCAUSE Blog, June 24, 2013.
- IT Risk Management: Try This Exercise at Your Institution, EDUCAUSE Review Online, June 30, 2013.
- IT Risk Management Poll Results, April 2013.
- Managing IT Risk in Higher Education: A Methodology, ECAR Research Bulletin, March 18, 2008.
For additional resources see the library Items tab on the "Risk Management" page
- Higher Education IT Compliance through the Prism of Risk Controls,EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013. Only through collaborative compliance and risk discussions can appropriate decisions be made about both the everyday activities and the transformative new technologies that are or will be available to the higher education institution of 2020.
- Higher Education Information Security Council, Information Security Guide, Compliance Chapter, EDUCAUSE/Internet2
- Privacy, Security, and Compliance: Strange Bedfellows, or a Marriage Made in Heaven?, EDUCAUSE Review, January 28, 2013.
- The Policy Process Life Cycle, EDUCAUSE Review, March 20, 2009.
- Higher Education Compliance Alliance, was created by the National Association of College and University Attorneys (NACUA), in partnership with thirty other higher education associations, to provide the higher education community with a centralized repository of information and resources for compliance with federal laws and regulations.
For additional resources see the library Items tab on the "Compliance" page
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for IT Governance
- ITSM Governance: Moving Ahead and Staying on the Rails
March 13, 2013
A session at the NERCOMP Annual Conference
Perhaps the only thing more challenging than starting a service management initiative is keeping it going. After implementing some ITIL processes, how do you maintain momentum, build on successes, …
- IT Governance: Solid Structures and Practical Politics
December 6, 2007
Presentation at the Sixth Annual ECAR Symposium, December 5-7, 2007, in Boca Raton, Florida. Higher education IT organizations have become increasingly aware of the need for governance processes …
- Geek for a Week: Forging Penn Nursing's IT, Business Partnership
November 8, 2012
A session at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference 2012
How do you begin transforming an IT workforce into school business partners? Explore how one school started with "Geek for a Week"—placing IT staff in its academic, research, and admi…
- Multi-Institutional IT Collaboration
June 12, 2007
Presentation at the Sixth Annual ECAR/HP Summer Symposium for Higher Education IT Executives, June 11-13, 2007, Boulder, Colorado. In 2006, ECAR distributed three surveys: the first was designed …
- Implementing Effective ERP Governance and Portfolio Management
May 28, 2008
A session at the Enterprise Information & Technology Conference 2008
George Mason University has implemented a new governance structure and portfolio management procedures to provide more effective ERP guidance, direction, and support in a large, distributed campus …
- Building Collaborative Administrative Systems Governance
October 21, 2005
A session at the EDUCAUSE 2005 Annual Conference
Princeton University has adopted and refined a collaborative process for identifying, structuring, prioritizing, and scheduling all of our administrative systems projects. We have a three-tiered ap…
- Building Collaborative Administrative Systems Governance
May 17, 2005
In the past several years, Princeton University has adopted and refined a collaborative process for identifying, structuring, prioritizing, and scheduling all of our administrative systems projects…
- Information Security Governance: The Buck Stops Where?
April 28, 2005
A session at the EDUCAUSE Western Regional Conference 2005
Information security is now the responsibility of deans, directors, and executive leaders, not just the CIO. A new coalition in industry, government, and higher education has recommended specific r…