Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
EDUCAUSE IT Governance, Risk, and Compliance Program
Governance, risk, and compliance (GRC) issues increasingly pervade higher education information technology. As institutional investment in IT and reliance on information systems have grown, so has the need for reliable structures and measures to ensure success and minimize failure.
IT GRC programs develop a framework for the leadership, organization, and operation of an institution's IT programs. This framework can be used by IT staff to ensure that their programs support and enable the institution's strategic objectives. The EDUCAUSE IT GRC program provides resources that help you define and implement IT GRC activities on your own campus.
A member advisory board, member working groups, and representatives from complementary organizations advise EDUCAUSE in the development of best practices, toolkits, and case studies. EDUCAUSE-conducted research will benchmark how higher education institutions are currently approaching IT GRC practices. New resources will be added to this page as they are developed.
To learn more or to contribute to the higher education IT GRC body of knowledge, contact us at GRC@educause.edu
- IT Governance, Risk, and Compliance in Higher Education, ECAR Research Study, June 2014. This study benchmarks how higher education institutions are approaching IT GRC practices. (ECAR Subscription Required)
- The Foundations of a High-Performance ITS Organization, EDUCAUSE Live! May 2014. This webinar explores how to develop a framework for an IT strategic planning process and implement it, how to design a governance structure for Project Portfolio Management and implement a PPM model, and how to implement a process to craft vision and mission statements for the organization.
- Governance, Risk, and Compliance: Why Now? EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013. Governance, risk, and compliance (GRC) programs intend to develop a framework for the leadership, organization, and operation of the institution's IT areas to ensure that those areas support and enable the institution's strategic objectives.
- Speaking the Same Language: Building a Data Governance Program for Institutional Impact, EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013.
- Starting the Conversation: University-wide Research Data Management Policy, EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013.
- Boston University Information Services and Technology Governance Model, October 10, 2013,
- Making the Case for the Information Strategy, ECAR Bulletin. September 6, 2011.
- Leading the Higher Education IT Organization: Six Building Blocks of Success, EDUCAUSE Review, May 31, 2011.
- Making IT Governance Work, ECAR Bulletin, October 5, 2010.
- Decentralized IT Governance and Policy in Higher Education, ECAR Research Bulletin, March 10, 2009.
- Process and Politics: IT Governance in Higher Education, ECAR Research Report, July 21, 2008.
- Queensland University of Technology: Three Generations of IT Governance (and Counting), ECAR Case Study, July 25, 2008.
- Reforming IT Governance at Berkeley: Introducing an Enterprise Perspective to a Decentralized Organization, ECAR Case Study, July 25, 2008
- From 2004-2012 IT governance was in various positions of the EDUCAUSE top ten issues, http://www.educause.edu/educause/visualizations/vis1/index.html
- Leveraging Enterprise Risk Management: Opportunity for Greater Relevance, EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013. Even though enterprise risk management (ERM) engages the entire higher education institution, IT organizations have an opportunity to use ERM to move beyond a services function toward providing strategic value to the institution.
- Learning While Doing: Two Institutions’ Practical IT Risk Management Experiences, ECAR Research Bulletin, July 29, 2013.
- Top-10 IT Issues, Policy Implications, and Managing Risk, EDUCAUSE Blog, June 24, 2013.
- IT Risk Management: Try This Exercise at Your Institution, EDUCAUSE Review Online, June 30, 2013.
- IT Risk Management Poll Results, April 2013.
- Managing IT Risk in Higher Education: A Methodology, ECAR Research Bulletin, March 18, 2008.
For additional resources see the library Items tab on the "Risk Management" page
- Higher Education IT Compliance through the Prism of Risk Controls,EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013. Only through collaborative compliance and risk discussions can appropriate decisions be made about both the everyday activities and the transformative new technologies that are or will be available to the higher education institution of 2020.
- Higher Education Information Security Council, Information Security Guide, Compliance Chapter, EDUCAUSE/Internet2
- Privacy, Security, and Compliance: Strange Bedfellows, or a Marriage Made in Heaven?, EDUCAUSE Review, January 28, 2013.
- The Policy Process Life Cycle, EDUCAUSE Review, March 20, 2009.
- Higher Education Compliance Alliance, was created by the National Association of College and University Attorneys (NACUA), in partnership with thirty other higher education associations, to provide the higher education community with a centralized repository of information and resources for compliance with federal laws and regulations.
For additional resources see the library Items tab on the "Compliance" page
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for IT Governance
- Campus IT Security: Governance, Strategy, Policy, and Enforcement
August 15, 2006
Successful implementation of an effective information, data, and system "security blanket" for higher education institutions requires recognition of and action upon the cultural, politi…
- Web Space 9: A Journey Through Time
July 18, 2006
This bulletin discusses the processes being applied to refine the focus of the University of Toronto's institution-wide Web space to better serve the community in a more coordinated manner. …
- Supporting Research Computing Through Collaboration at Princeton University
May 23, 2006
As a complement to ECAR's core study about IT Engagement in Research, this case study examines Princeton University's institutional research computational facility, which is developed a…
- Value Disciplines: A Lens for Successful Decision Making in IT
January 1, 2006
Value Disciplines: A Lens for Successful Decision Making in IT Applying the concept of value disciplines on campus helps align IT efforts with institutional goals By Marc Eichen To s…
- A Roadmap for IT Leadership and the Next Ten Years
January 1, 2006
Professional Development A Roadmap for IT Leadership and the Next Ten Years The newest challenge facing CIOs in higher education is to become technology advocates and CIO leaders, not leade…
- Making Business Sense of Information Security
March 21, 2006
A well-managed security program starts at the top and must provide strong governance, business risk management, auditing, and control processes. This Burton Group study proposes a security techn…
- Bridging the GAP: Unified Approaches to Governance, Architecture, and Procurement
December 8, 2005
Presentation at the December 2005 ECAR Symposium in Carefree, Arizona. This presentation identifies a set of principles covering information technology governance, architecture, and procurement (…
- IT Governance: Determining Who Decides
November 22, 2005
This research bulletin provides an overview of IT governance, explains why such governance is important, describes the IT governance work at Syracuse University, and outlines how other institutio…
- Lost and Found
January 1, 2005
© 2005 Richard N. Katz EDUCAUSE Review, vol. 40, no. 5 (September/October 2005): 84. One of the most interesting opportunities that I have, as a leader of EDUCAUSE, is engaging w…
- Information Technology Strategic Management in Higher Education
October 20, 2003
This is the October 2003 ECAR survey instrument used for ECAR Research Study concerning Information Technology Strategic Management in Higher Education. …